• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Double checkin

groovedrummer

imported post

Im over 21, but no CCW. I can carry my 1911 with a round in the chamber right?

im been doing it for ever, and had run ins with the police and they didnt say anything about but I just wanna double check.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

If you don't have a CHP then your gun has to be carried openly and yes it can have a round in the chamber. I would advise that if you are carrying a 1911 you carry it the way it was meant to be carried, and that's in Condition 1, or "cocked and locked." Rifles are required to have empty chambers though.

mahkagari

imported post

I've been watching X-Files on Netflix and have added another item to my list of Popular Media and Movie Myths. Most LEOs will carry cocked and locked as will most civilians whenever it's legal. For some reason though, these FBI agents always think dropping the magazine is enough to unloada weapon.

I've seen this in aton of movies and TV shows. People never clear the chamber. They'll even give the gun back to someone after only dropping the magazine. I was shocked when I saw Ethan Hawke actually clearhisBerrettabefore handingit in Training Day.

The dumbest opposite of this idiocy was a Sons of Anarchy episode. One character threatens another. The other says he'll "make it easy" and before turning his backmakes a big show of pulling his 1911 out andprepping itfor the first character to shoot him. But what he actually does is take the safety off and EMPTY the chamber and lock the slide back.

FogRider

imported post

The goof that aggravates me is the constant racking of actions. You never see a gun ready to fire. Unless of course the shooter doesn't need to threaten someone, in which case not only is it ready to rock, it also has the standard bottomless mag.

mahkagari

imported post

ARGH!! Yes! This has been particularly aggravating during LOST. All these elite, covert, jungle commando guerilla shadow warriors, but not a ONE of them can advance on someone without their weapon ready to fire apparently!!

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

FogRider wrote:
The goof that aggravates me is the constant racking of actions. You never see a gun ready to fire. Unless of course the shooter doesn't need to threaten someone, in which case not only is it ready to rock, it also has the standard bottomless mag.
Even funnier is when someone merely pulls out a handgun and then you hear a soundbite of a shotgun slide racking.

mahkagari

imported post

I think I've only seen one instance of a retention holster actually retaining in movies/TV. And that was because it was depicting a LEO unfastening it in preparation to draw. No wonder so many sheeple think that if someone suddenly went nuts they could just "grab a gun" off someone's hip.

Yooper

imported post

I would think that Colorado OC'ers (without a CCW) must abide by the federal gun free school zones act. To be exempt, you must have a license of some sort, whether it's like Illinois where they have a FOID, or Michigan where we have handgun registration, or a CCW from the state in which the school zone resides.

ZackL

imported post

Yooper wrote:
I would think that Colorado OC'ers (without a CCW) must abide by the federal gun free school zones act. To be exempt, you must have a license of some sort, whether it's like Illinois where they have a FOID, or Michigan where we have handgun registration, or a CCW from the state in which the school zone resides.
^ 'Tis true... However, this only applies to K-12 schools as colleges are left to make their own rules. All of them technically ban carry of any sort after the new ruling, if I remember correctly, but at best they can ask you to leave, if you refuse it's trespassing.

cscitney87

imported post

ZackL wrote:
Yooper wrote:
^ 'Tis true... However, this only applies to K-12 schools as colleges are left to make their own rules. All of them technically ban carry of any sort after the new ruling, if I remember correctly, but at best they can ask you to leave, if you refuse it's trespassing.
Tis Not True

As you are a "valid" Colorado citizen, your State License or State Drivers License IS 100% your "License" from the state of Colorado to Open Carry.

In Michigan, you are allowed to OC as a resident of Colorado with a "license" from Colorado that you are allowed to own/carry a handgun. Technically- your Colorado residency and proof (D.L. or State ID) is your "license" to carry from Colorado.

In other words; since there is No Colorado license to open carry, the default is in proving residency in Colorado. Residency is proven by State ID or State DL in this case.

If there is a "license" exception; then Colorado residency meets the requirement for possession and carry of a firearm. It's our Constitution that licenses Colorado citizens- nothing more needed.

SDguy

imported post

Now I am a little confused about OC in Colorado. As a resident of South Dakota can I openly carry in Colorado or not?

I have openly carried in Colorado but was never stopped by LE. I have a South Dakota CC permit which I always carry anyway. However, the last post makes it sound as if only a Colorado resident with ID from Colorado may open carry.

mahkagari

imported post

SDguy wrote:
Now I am a little confused about OC in Colorado. As a resident of South Dakota can I openly carry in Colorado or not?

I have openly carried in Colorado but was never stopped by LE. I have a South Dakota CC permit which I always carry anyway. However, the last post makes it sound as if only a Colorado resident with ID from Colorado may open carry.

Yes, CS's post is a bit inaccurate. Looks like he's trying to "spark conversation" again. Unfortunately in this case he's doing more to muddy the waters and confuse people rather than spur informative discourse.

The reason people,ANY people who can otherwise legally possess a firearm,can OC in Colorado is because there is no law AGAINST it (except in Denver). Coloradan's cannot OC in other states by virtue of their CO residency. Resident's of other states can OC in Colorado. You don't need to prove residency to OC in CO.

cscitney87

imported post

Michigan State Law says that if you are "licensed" by Colorado to carry a firearm; then you can openly carry a firearm in the State of Michigan.

There IS a law stating you can Open Carry. The law actually specifically says you cannot Conceal carry with Article 2 Section 13.

Section 13. Right to bear arms. The right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property, or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall be called in question; but nothing herein contained shall be construed to justify the practice of carrying concealed weapons.

"The reason people,ANY people who can otherwise legally possess a firearm,can OC in Colorado is because there is no law AGAINST it (except in Denver). Coloradan's cannot OC in other states by virtue of their CO residency. Resident's of other states can OC in Colorado. You don't need to prove residency to OC in CO."

cscitney87

imported post

Yooper wrote; "I would think that Colorado OC'ers (without a CCW) must abide by the federal gun free school zones act. "

You said Tis True. I said Not True.

The whole issue about being able to carry in a Federal Gun Free School Zone... In Colorado; no "license" is needed to conceal carry in your car. To be exempt from the FGFSZ- you must conceal your pistol. So, in accordance with law; you can conceal your pistol on school zone property without a "license" from Colorado. Keep your pistol in your car. Lock it in your glove box, put it under your seat, in your custom car holster; whatever.

I am NOT saying you can Open Carry ON school property just going for a casual stroll.

I AM saying that "Colorado OC'ers (without a CCW)" CAN CERTAINLY legally bring a pistol onto a SCHOOL ZONE. Keep it concealed in your car.

I answered the question. Sorry man no offense but just follow

HIS Question -> Your response -> My response

He said you need a Colorado "CCW" to carry onto School property.

I'm saying you do NOT need a Colorado "CCW" to carry onto school property; keep it in your car and not on your person.

Nothing is to be misconstrued as saying you can walk your kid into the cafeteria strapped. Can't walk on the sidewalk next to it either; but you can certainly drive by it. You can EVEN park your car in the PARKING LOT (huh! oh no!) without a Colorado "CCW" (CHP).

ZackL

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
Yooper wrote; "I would think that Colorado OC'ers (without a CCW) must abide by the federal gun free school zones act. "

You said Tis True. I said Not True.

The whole issue about being able to carry in a Federal Gun Free School Zone... In Colorado; no "license" is needed to conceal carry in your car. To be exempt from the FGFSZ- you must conceal your pistol. So, in accordance with law; you can conceal your pistol on school zone property without a "license" from Colorado. Keep your pistol in your car. Lock it in your glove box, put it under your seat, in your custom car holster; whatever.

I am NOT saying you can Open Carry ON school property just going for a casual stroll.

I AM saying that "Colorado OC'ers (without a CCW)" CAN CERTAINLY legally bring a pistol onto a SCHOOL ZONE. Keep it concealed in your car.

I answered the question. Sorry man no offense but just follow

HIS Question -> Your response -> My response

I'm saying you do NOT need a Colorado "CCW" to carry onto school property; keep it in your car and not on your person.

Nothing is to be misconstrued as saying you can walk your kid into the cafeteria strapped. Can't walk on the sidewalk next to it either; but you can certainly drive by it. You can EVEN park your car in the PARKING LOT (huh! oh no!) without a Colorado "CCW" (CHP).
That was an accurate and thorough response that should dispel the misinterpretation that was going on. Your initial posts were a bit confusing there; and it should be noted that when I was responding to the school zone comment I was assuming that the person would be outside of their property. I'm sorry for not clearly identifying that you can carry on and in your own property within said school zone.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
ZackL wrote:
Yooper wrote:
Tis Not True

As you are a "valid" Colorado citizen, your State License or State Drivers License IS 100% your "License" from the state of Colorado to Open Carry.

In Michigan, you are allowed to OC as a resident of Colorado with a "license" from Colorado that you are allowed to own/carry a handgun. Technically- your Colorado residency and proof (D.L. or State ID) is your "license" to carry from Colorado.

In other words; since there is No Colorado license to open carry, the default is in proving residency in Colorado. Residency is proven by State ID or State DL in this case.

If there is a "license" exception; then Colorado residency meets the requirement for possession and carry of a firearm. It's our Constitution that licenses Colorado citizens- nothing more needed.
He's talking about the 1,000 ft rule for K-12 schools bud. In this case you do need to have a Concealed Handgun Permit to be able to be within 1,000 feet of a school while open carrying. Obviously you can't OC on the school property itself.

cscitney87

imported post

Ian wrote:
cscitney87 wrote:
ZackL wrote:
Yooper wrote:
Tis Not True

He's talking about the 1,000 ft rule for K-12 schools bud. In this case you do need to have a Concealed Handgun Permit to be able to be within 1,000 feet of a school while open carrying. Obviously you can't OC on the school property itself.
Go ahead and re-read my post. I'll quote a bit for you;

"

Nothing is to be misconstrued as saying you can walk your kid into the cafeteria strapped. Can't walk on the sidewalk next to it either; but you can certainly drive by it. You can EVEN park your car in the PARKING LOT (huh! oh no!) without a Colorado "CCW" (CHP)."

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
Ian wrote:
cscitney87 wrote:
ZackL wrote:
Yooper wrote:
Tis Not True

Go ahead and re-read my post. I'll quote a bit for you;

"

Nothing is to be misconstrued as saying you can walk your kid into the cafeteria strapped. Can't walk on the sidewalk next to it either; but you can certainly drive by it. You can EVEN park your car in the PARKING LOT (huh! oh no!) without a Colorado "CCW" (CHP)."
Maybe you should re-read HIS post. He didn't say anything about needing a Colorado CCW to carry on School property. The first poster mentioned the federal gun free school zones act which is the 1,000 ft rule. The person that replied and said that was true confirming that the 1,000 ft rule "only applies to K-12 schools as colleges are left to make their own rules. All of them technically ban carry of any sort after the new ruling, if I remember correctly, but at best they can ask you to leave, if you refuse it's trespassing."

You also said:
"I'm saying you do NOT need a Colorado "CCW" to carry onto school property; keep it in your car and not on your person."

Well technically that isn't carrying now is it. There's a big difference between "bringing" a gun onto school property and "carrying" it.