Thread: Traveling through WVa

Post imported post

I will be going to Ohio for a class and traveling through West Virginia. Are there any places where OC is not legal? I have concealed carry priviledges in WVa, but asking about OC just in case. Also Ialways carry a rifle in the trunk with and a bunch of loaded mags. If the rifle itself is unloaded and encased separately, would I be legal inWVa with a bunch of loaded mags (kept separately) for that rifle? Your helps is greatly appreciated.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Loaded rifle mags would be a small problem in West Virginia, see W.Va. Code §§ 20-2-5(9)and 20-7-9, but a BIG problem in Ohio. See Ohio Rev. Code § 2923.16 (prohibiting the possessionof all loaded firearms (other than loaded handguns possessed by individuals licensed to carry concealed handguns) in vehicles, punishing the unlawful possession of a loadedfirearm in a vehicle as a felony, and defining an unloaded firearm as a firearm where "[n]o ammunition is in the firearm in question, and no ammunition is loaded into a magazine or speed loader that may be used with the firearm in question and that is located anywhere within the vehicle in question," but that "ammunition held in stripper-clips or in en-bloc clips is not considered ammunition that is loaded into a magazine or speed loader.").
    James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
    Admitted to practice in West Virginia and Florida.

Founder, Past President, Treasurer, and General Counsel, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    Life Member, NRA

Post imported post

Thanks. Will have to unload them. It's not an issue in Virginia, so I am glad I checked.