• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I wonder when this crime was committed????

autosurgeon

imported post

NOTE this incident happened in November of 2008

A Lansing police officer is suspended from the force. Lori Williams, an 8-year veteran assigned to uniform patrol, is charged with four misdemeanors for improperly using the "Law Enforcement Information Network" or "LEIN".
That's the system police use to check a person's background--- like their driving record, criminal history, or whether or not there's a warrant out for their arrest.
if (self['plpm'] && plpm['Mid-Story Ad']) document.write('');if (self['plpm'] && plpm['Mid-Story Ad']){ document.write(plpm['Mid-Story Ad']);} else { if(self['plurp'] && plurp['97']){} else {document.write(''); } }if (self['plpm'] && plpm['Mid-Story Ad']) document.write(''); Officer Williams remains on paid administrative leave until an internal investigation is complete.

http://www.wilx.com/home/headlines/90116607.html

Michigander

imported post

If the MSP wanted to honestly investigate all of the wrongful LEIN access that has gone on, I wonder how many cops would loose their jobs for harassing OCers. :lol:

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

Is this LEIN a michigan thing or do all police departments use it? How would I go about wording a FOIA request to see if local police have been keeping tabs on me? I'm in Tennessee.

budlight

imported post

LEIN is the name of the system used in Michigan. It is on a network shared with all other states and the FBIs NCIC system. Here is the info to report abuse.

[align=left]
[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"]LEIN and Criminal History Records - Inappropriate Access[/font]
[/align]

[size=-1][font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"]To report inappropriate access to the Michigan State Police for LEIN & CHR record information, write, fax,or e-mail:
Capt. Charles Bush, Commander
Criminal Records Division
P.O. Box 30634
Lansing, MI 48913
bushce@michigan.gov
Fax: 517-241-0865
[align=left]The following information is needed to investigate the inappropriate access (some of this information may be unknown):[/align]

1. [align=left]What record was accessed? Include the name, date of birth, driver license number, license plate number and details surrounding the potential misuse.[/align]

2. [align=left]Why do you believe the information was obtained inappropriately?[/align]

3. [align=left]When did the access in question take place (get as close to the day and time as possible - within a week or two is best)?[/align]

4. [align=left]Where the access occurred (which State Police post, sheriff department, police department, court, etc.).[/align]

5. [align=left]Who accessed the record?[/align]

6. [align=left]Telephone number where you can be reached, if we have any questions.[/align]
[align=left]Upon receipt of the request to investigate a potential LEIN violation, the LEIN traffic will be reviewed and a determination made as to whether or not there is a need for further investigation. The investigation will take 60 - 90 days under normal circumstances. Upon closure of the case the person/agency reporting the possible LEIN violation will be notified in writing as to whether or not the case was founded or unfounded.[/align][/font][/size]

CoonDog

imported post

Kwikrnu, I imagine the entire state of Tennessee has a BOLO out on you by now. Keep fighting the good fight! :)

ETA: Maybe the system you're looking for is one of these:

Within the Bureau, the ISD is responsible for delivery of services that augment the Forensic Services Division, the Criminal Investigation Division, the Drug Investigation Division and the Administrative Services Division. In addition, ISD provides services to local, state, and federal agencies through the National Crime Information Center (NCIC), the International Justice and Public Safety Information Sharing Network (NLETS), the Automated Fingerprint Identification System (AFIS) network, the Tennessee Information Enforcement System (TIES) network and the Tennessee Incident Based Reporting System (TIBRS).

http://www.tbi.state.tn.us/info_syst/info_systems.shtml

lil_freak_66

imported post

i didnt see her at ponderosa,but that doesnt mean she wasnt there,a few officers never left they're vehicles.

ive seen her around town a few times,but never had any interaction with her that i can remember,and it has been awhile.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

CoonDog wrote:
Kwikrnu, I imagine the entire state of Tennessee has a BOLO out on you by now. Keep fighting the good fight! :)

ETA: Maybe the system you're looking for is one of these:

Within the Bureau, the ISD is responsible for delivery of services that augment the Forensic Services Division, the Criminal Investigation Division, the Drug Investigation Division and the Administrative Services Division. In addition, ISD provides services to local, state, and federal agencies through the National Crime Information Center (NCIC), the International Justice and Public Safety Information Sharing Network (NLETS), the Automated Fingerprint Identification System (AFIS) network, the Tennessee Information Enforcement System (TIES) network and the Tennessee Incident Based Reporting System (TIBRS).

http://www.tbi.state.tn.us/info_syst/info_systems.shtml

Thanks for the info. I saw that on the TBI website. I called teh TBI and Nashville police they both told me that they do not keep track of background checks. I think they were blowing me off because I know state troopers in Tennessee have been charged with violating policy for using the "internal portal system" to run checks on people.

I have at least two state wide Bolos out on me from the metro nashville police and I think they may have went out to neighboring States too.

autosurgeon

imported post

dougwg wrote:
According to news reports NOVEMBER OF 2008

Barking up the wrong tree and looking like villagers with pitchforks...some look pretty foolish right now
Sorry Doug but when it first was released there was no date attached. And anyway we already know it was used unlawfully that day as was BOLO.

autosurgeon

imported post

And don't you be such a know it all... as if you have never made a mistake in your life :uhoh:

And anyway I only asked an honest question... it really doesn't matter when it was used... the very fact that this misuse has come to light means there are many others that have not.

I know of several down in my neck of the woods that have to do with certain folks and BF/GF situations where a friend checked em out...

Anyway there is nothing wrong with noting when LEO oops as it is good for those who think they can do no wrong to see that they are human too.