• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting time at badger on 43rd today

akito

imported post

So me and a buddy go to badger today ( looking for a mag holder and magtech 9mm ) , now keep in mind I'm 28 and he is 19 , so we walk in the door and are greeted by an employee I ask right away "do you carry magtech 9mm " and my cell phone rings he motions with his pointer and pinky finger for me to hang up my phone ( I'm thinking WTF ) he says there is a sign on the door that you can not have a cell in the store . Then he asks for our I'Ds ( granted I look young ) so I'm like sure why not , he says my buddy can not be in the store because he is not 21 ( but you can't by a riffle at 18 OH WAIT YOU CAN!! ) so my buddy waits in the car and i suck it up and go grab a black hawk single mag holster and the employee pulls his loaded fire arm out off his holster to "show 2 guys " ?? somthing with out dropping the mag and checking the chamber ???? so I go to check out and while im paying I ask the guy if we can OC in the store ( I already know they don't ) and he says no only we OC for our protection . So I can tell you all I WILL NOT be going back to badger , I do understand that they do not want cell phones in the store and OC'ers ( not a problem ) BUT my buddy not being able to enter the store at 19 years old just erks me ( he shoots with me at shooters every time I go ) ......

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

No cellphones? I have never heard that rule before. Do you have a number for that store. I want to call them and aske them about it.

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

No cellphones? I have never heard that rule before. Do you have a number for that store. I want to call them and aske them about it.

akito

imported post

2339 South 43rd Street
Milwaukee, WI 53219-2391
(414) 383-0885

he said it was posted on the door , I dident look to see if it was there when I left

AaronS

imported post

BROKENSPROKET wrote:

The cell phone thing is due to the straw buyer problem. Badger found that people were sending pictures to a friend back home to make sure he got the gun he wanted. So the use of cell phones is out.

The OC issue is a problem. I am thinking I might not be able to shop at the place anymore. A gun shop that fears guns... Looks like I will be shopping at Cabelas and Gander a lot more...

Badger Guns 414-383-0885

akito

imported post

yea like I said I could understand the no cell phone thing but come on not being able to buy a riffle/being in a gun store at 18 really ?

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

As AaronS posted the no cell phone policy is related to straw buyers. Many times a felon will send a buddy (usually female) into the store and she will use the phone to communicate prices and info about the guns. The camera in the phone is also an issue. It can be used for purchase verification as AaronS mentioned as well as planning a heist.

I can't speak to Badger's policies as I do not shop there but the age thing is a bit strange. Most places let you in if you are at least 18 because you can buy a rifle. The only time they can show you a pistol is if there is a parent or guardian there to hand it to you. Most places will also not sell you handgun ammo unless they are sure it's going into a carbine like a CX4 Storm. In short, at 18 you can be given, own, posses, carry, transport, and shoot a handgun but you cannot buy one from a licensed dealer.

As to the OC policy, I don't have a good answer for that. I think that you should take into account all of the things these people deal with on a daily basis. Until you've seen a guy walk through the front door with a loaded AK-47 in his hand, or almost drew down on an off-duty LEO because he flashed his concealed handgun before identifying himself as LEO you might want to cut them some slack. Have you ever been shooting and seen people acting so unsafe that you felt the need to just get out of there? Now I am not saying that this is the typical open carrier, but how does that old saying go? Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. You have to size up every person that walks through the front door. Check them for bulges, how they walk, hands in pockets for long periods of time, constantly touching a certain part of their body, etc. I could keep going but it's late and I've got to get some sleep. Before you pass judgment, put yourself in their shoes. Go in and talk to some of these guys, maybe they'll tell you some of the crazy sh!t they've seen. Not everything is so cut and dry.

M

McX

imported post

criminals that are so lazy they shop by cellphone pics transmitted to them. only here in the 21st century! boy, you guys hang around shooting ranges alot! I'm too broke to go anywhere.:uhoh:

hunter9mm

imported post

Badger went through a lot of crap last year about all the "Straw Buys" the city claimed they perform there. They made a bunch of rules to appease the Chief of Police and try to deter that kind of activity there. Not saying all the rules they made are good, but they were forced into doing "Something". All in all they still have some of the best prices and the most knowledgeable guys in the business. Just my 2 cents worth...

P229Sig357DAK

imported post

I know from talking to the guys there that the no cell phones rule was instituted as a way to help crack down on "straw buying". I have had my blackberry / bluetooth in there and never had a problem and I am in there enough to be known on sight. If they didn't know you and you entered and all of a sudden your phone rang...they probably thought it was a straw purchase.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The cell phone restriction is ridiculous. If someone was going to buy a firearm illegally a cell phone restriction doesn't stop it from occurring. Heck, all a criminal has to do is go online or pick up any book about guns and determine what they want. Then they would have their straw purchaser make the deal at the local gun store. In reality there is no way a lawful FFL can stop a straw purchase from happening (assuming they do NOT know it IS a straw purchase) unless the person buying the firearm shows up on the background check as a bad guy.

The best way to stop straw purchase's is to ask a few questions to the person(s) buying the firearm. If the FFL doesn't feel good about it he/she can deny the sale.

Passive101

imported post

If they've banned cell phone use I won't be there. I use mine to keep in touch with people.

To many other places to go and order from :)

UVAsteve

imported post

yeah i don't agree with the no cell phone policy even tho its to stop the felon's home shopping network wouldn't they notice someone texting a lot while in there maybe they could just refuse to sell to them ?

the only places i have been to was shooters tho but i looked around and had my phone in my hand but never had a problem but i would hate to miss a call that was an emergency I.E( something happens to a family member ) sometimes i do spend around 30 mins or more in these shops

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I would have no problem with the owner of a gun shop banning cell phone usage in their store, especially Badger with all the negative attention which they have been getting from the police and other anti-2A groups.
When you see someone conversing over a cell phone while trying to decide which firearm they are going to purchase, it is a huge warning sign that this person may be trying to do a straw purchase.
Do you only ban phone usage for the people you suspect of trying to do this?? No you ban all usage.
Besides that, it is just rude to be on a phone with other people present, especially in a retail store.

ffemt1079

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
I would have no problem with the owner of a gun shop banning cell phone usage in their store, especially Badger with all the negative attention which they have been getting from the police and other anti-2A groups.
When you see someone conversing over a cell phone while trying to decide which firearm they are going to purchase, it is a huge warning sign that this person may be trying to do a straw purchase.
Do you only ban phone usage for the people you suspect of trying to do this?? No you ban all usage.
Besides that, it is just rude to be on a phone with other people present, especially in a retail store.

+1,000