• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OPEN CARRY VS CONCEALED CARRY

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
And I can assure you I'm no "thug"
2s80083.jpg
Maybe they just thought you were a Cubs fan but thought it easier to just object to your OC sidearm as the reason to ask you to leave... :p

NewZealandAmerican

Greater Salt Lake City Metro area far south suburb
imported post

OCinColorado wrote:
NewZealandAmerican wrote:
Ahh thanks so much BookMan for cleaning up my post and making it look more presentable and sharp. I should have taken a couple min more to make it nice because this is important information for all to see.

So far I think this is the best comparison I have seen written for Open Carry vs Concealed carry

Yay!!! THIS IS ALSO MY 100th post!!!! I love the website and want to thank Mike, John andeveryone here on OCDO for all you do for the fight for FREEDOM, LIBERTY and theIN-ALIENABLE RIGHT to carry a gun in all 50 states without a permit or license! EVEN if the Second Amendment could be repealed that does not change one iota your RIGHT to own and carry a gun PERIOD! :celebrate:lol::D:):monkey
I feel that I MUST make a correction here as to the use of the word inalienable vs. unalienable on this point because the difference in the meaning of these two words in very significant and has ramifications far greater than most would realize. First we have the definition of unalienable...the word actually used by our founding fathers in the Declaration of Independence.

UNALIENABLE;
The state of a thing or right which cannot be sold.
Things which are not in commerce, as public roads, are in their nature unalienable. Some things are unalienable, in consequence of particular provisions in the law forbidding their sale or transfer, as pensions granted by the government. The natural rights of life and liberty are UNALIENABLE. Bouviers Law Dictionary 1856 Edition

"UNALIENABLE; incapable of being alienated, that is, sold and transferred." Black's Law Dictionary, Sixth Edition, page 1523:

You can not surrender, sell or transfer unalienable rights, they are a gift from the creator to the individual and can not under any circumstances be surrendered or taken. All individual's have unalienable rights.

Now let us look at the word inalienable, the word the good Judge uses in his presentation.

INALIENABLE rights: Rights which are not capable of being surrendered or transferred without the consent of the one possessing such rights. Morrison v. State, Mo. App., 252 S.W.2d 97, 101.

You can surrender, sell or transfer inalienable rights if you consent either actually or constructively. Inalienable rights are not inherent in man and can be alienated by government. Persons have inalienable rights. Most state constitutions recognize only inalienable rights.

Please notice that unalienable rights CANNOT be surrendered because they are inherently given by our creator and thus part of natural law. On the other hand inalienable rights are NOT inherent, and CAN be surrendered by the one who "holds" the rights. It is also stated by definition that inalienable rights can be "alienated" or in other words given or taken away by a government.

When one looks at the difference between these two words one can readily see the very real danger of using the word inalienable when discussing the intentions of our founding fathers. We MUST be careful in the use of words here, fort words do have power and if we allow this simple slip of words to go unchecked the progressives will do their best to twist it against us. They are EVIL and will use anything they deem is "useful" to advance their agenda! We already know that they wish to change history and again I feel it is IMPERATIVE that we present the fact accurately.

So now lets look at the Declaration as it is written..........
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness."

Men are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights,-'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness;' and to 'secure,' not grant or create, these rights, governments are instituted. Obama and the progressives in power wish to change this fact!
Thankyou for bringing this to our attention. I have heard that there is a big difference in both words but i didn't take the time to find out which means which. This is very important to know the right words and exact meanings especially when it comes to law! Thanks so much because it is so important!!!

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

marcs-5 wrote:
you guyshave serious mental issuesWHAT MENTAL ISSUE DOI HAVE?ARE YOU A DOCTOR?if you think carrying a gun around in public is a good idea.. Dont you have enough gun violence as it is?I HAVE HAD NO GUN VIOLENCE IN MY LIFE You think you have the right to bear arms but that is a ridiculous and outdated law that has no basis in a modern and "intelligent" society. PERHAPS YOU CAN ASK THE JEWS IF IT IS RIDICULOUS. IT IS CERTAINLY NOT OUTDATED. AND, I AM HIGHLY EDUCATED.

All guns should be banned unless you have a good reason for it like farmers or law enforcement. No-one insensible, well developed countriescarries guns around (except the US)and it works fine. IF YOU DON'T WANT A GUN, DON'T GET ONE.

Claiming aright to bear arms makes you all sound like a bunch of scared,redneck idiots, which i suspect you are..I CAN ASSURE YOU I AM NOT A REDNECT, I AM A HIGHLY EDUCATED LIBERAL. I CAN ASSURE YOU I AM NOT SCARED, I HAVE A GUN. PERHAPS YOU ARE SCARED?

Americans areridiculed all over the world for their ignorance in this area .. NO AMERICANS ARE REVERED AROUND THE WORLD.

Wake up America its the 21st century not the 18th THANKS FOR THE UPDATE!

Mainsail

imported post

I wrote that a couple years ago, and it has made its way around the internet. I prefer that if it's going to be copy/pasted, it be pasted with all the formatting, italics, bolding, and links in the original. It is kept most current here.

TrumpetMan

imported post

You brought out some really great points in your essay. I agree 100% that it's best never to have to need a gun and have one, than to need and not have. It is my opinion that mindset and training trump all else when it comes to "defense," however and that OC/CC is not the real issue.

Mindset is awareness. It means you are constantly in the condition that nothing takes you by surprise. You always now what's going on around you. Criminals look for victims who are unaware of their surroundings. It is my belief that you can be aware enough of those surrounding you that you sense their intent (stage one as I belive you put it.) I believe that criminals sense your awareness and look for an easier victim.

Through training you can also presenta weapon, concealed or not, in .25 - 1.5 seconds and put two bullets into the thoracic cavity and a third into the cranio-ocular cavity if needed to stop an attack. Inside the pants under a shirt is only a fraction-of-second slower than OC.

Intemperature extremes OC does have a clear advantage, however.

open4years

imported post

Thanks for putting all that blue text into black. Unfortunately, I'll have to read it another day as trying to read it triggered a migraine. Folks, please take us migraine people, older eyes, into consideration. I mean this as enlightment, not criticism. Lights off here.

floflo

imported post

hey guys/gals,

what is considered to be acceptable for open carry? does it have to be in a OWB holster? or can it carried with a shoulder holster?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

floflo wrote:
what is considered to be acceptable for open carry? does it have to be in a OWB holster? or can it carried with a shoulder holster?
Acceptable - socially, legally?

While different states have varying definitions as to what constitutes OC, generically if your gun can be seen and recognized for what it is then it is open carried. Check the laws for each state.

Social acceptance - again generalizing, but it does depend very much where you are and who the participants are. Long gun OC even where legal is often much less socially tolerated.

Here on OCDO we are mutually exclusive in promoting and endorsing open carry of properly holstered handguns while going about our normal daily routines. The goal being to defend and advance our RKBA through normalization of OC, changes/improvements in the laws and education of others. More frequently the less dramatic the style of carry, the more acceptable such will be - it is a perceptual thing. ymmv

Yata hey

peterarthur

imported post

TrumpetMan wrote:
You brought out some really great points in your essay. I agree 100% that it's best never to have to need a gun and have one, than to need and not have. It is my opinion that mindset and training trump all else when it comes to "defense," however and that OC/CC is not the real issue.

Mindset is awareness. It means you are constantly in the condition that nothing takes you by surprise. You always now what's going on around you. Criminals look for victims who are unaware of their surroundings. It is my belief that you can be aware enough of those surrounding you that you sense their intent (stage one as I belive you put it.) I believe that criminals sense your awareness and look for an easier victim.

Through training you can also presenta weapon, concealed or not, in .25 - 1.5 seconds and put two bullets into the thoracic cavity and a third into the cranio-ocular cavity if needed to stop an attack. Inside the pants under a shirt is only a fraction-of-second slower than OC.

Intemperature extremes OC does have a clear advantage, however.
I agree that situational awareness is AT LEAST as important as anything else. In California about 14 years ago, I drove from my home out in the desert (California version of "the sticks") to buy some music equipment at Guitar Center in Azusa to replace all of the gear that had been stolen from my car. So I took $3000 dollars in cash and and my 9mm (illegally under the front seat) and got lost on the way. I stopped at a payphone at a closed gas station to call the store for directions, leaving my gun under the front seat. When I began to walk the 50 feet back to my car, 2 teenage boys stepped out from behind a boarded up store and began walking an intercept between me and my car. Now I was 32 at the time but I had been an excellent runner and decent athlete when I was younger. My "radar" went off immediately but I hoped to reach my car before they got too close. Unfortunately, they reached the car at the same time that I did and while reaching for my car door I saw one lunging for me out of the corner of my eye. If I had been ABLE to OC, my gun could have been on my hip, but instead lay uselessly in the car. So I bolted and they chased me for 6 city blocks before I found an apparent haven of potential in a supermarket where I ran in and grabbed the manager's phone and called 911. The thugs waited in the parking lot until the police showed up, about 15 minutes later but they would not leave, even when I pointed them out to the police. I had to beg the officers to take me back to my car.
My EXPECTATION that they were up to no good saved me from being grabbed (and the good luck that they were not apparently armed).

I now fully expect when I OC that every person within arm's length might be considering grabbing my weapon and, while it is unlikely, I keep the weapon covered by my arm and positioned to reduce the temptation, especially standing in line at the convenience store near my house which gets robbed once a month. I also feel that having a Serpa with a lock should help in the extremely unlikely event that someone tries to grab it.

I have always been aware of my surroundings, some of that is sports training I think, perhaps some of my military training. But it scares me to watch family and friends being unaware of the most obviously thuggish types around them. But they are being trained....

Be safe...

JKelly

imported post

I believe that situational awareness is the MOST important attribute that you can possess. You can be the world's best with a gun, and without SA, you'll die stupid. Conversely, SA can often allow you to avoid a situation altogether.