• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

carrying a firearm at cave run lake

Bat Out of Hell

imported post

I was at the tailwater recreation area (spill way) at cave run lake and I noticed a sign going into the area that said no firearms and I was wondering if this sign violates KY law? I think the US army corps of engineers operate the dam at cave run I wonder if that has a factor in it as well?

Thanks

Brian D.

imported post

Yes, it was very likely CoE signage. Same thing as on many other lakes/navigable waterways, especially around dams.

Decide for yourself how much to worry about it, versus keeping yourself safe. Best of my knowledge any CoE employees you'll see there are inspection/maintenence folks; while they may dress like park rangers they most definitely aren't law enforcement officials. Best I can tell from digging around on the computer, CoE doesn't have LEOs of their own. If they stumbled across terrorists sabotaging a dam--and lived to tell about it--they'd have to call in the nearest available LE agency for help.Same deal in the event they spotted a gun toter like one of us. Most likely that would be a local, county mountie, or statie--who wouldn't be much help enforcing the CoE firearm prohibition--but hopefully would do something about a bomb-wielding sabateur.

Interesting side note: There is a public shooting range located near the lake, as memory serves it is operated by...the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. (No, they didn't erect 'No Firearms Allowed' signage there! :lol: ) It's pretty much a self-service, bring-your-own-everything range, just fyi.

Bat Out of Hell

imported post

I usually open carry at cave run and I have no problems there. I was just curious if I could get in any legal trouble carrying at the spillway or around the dam. If I understood you correctly I'm okay to carry at the spillway? One more thing I wanted to bring up, I was at the Wal-mart in Morehead to get supplies and I asked if I could open carry in the store and I was promptly told NO. I was in a hurry so I didn't push the issue. Doesn't Wal-mart abide by state carry laws? If so how would I go about correcting the managements attitude on open carry?

Brian D.

imported post

I'm sure there's the possibility of legal trouble for carryingin the areas posted by the CoE. My point was more about the likelihood of that actually happening, versus the risks involved with not having one's gun along at any given time.

Along similar lines, some barge-based restaurants along the Ohio River are posted with signs from the U.S. Coast Guard, which at least hint at the notion that guns are not allowed there. Again, nobody from that agency is around much either to give any real credibility to the signage.

About the WalMart incident: Many of us here and on other firearms-carry forums find it a bad idea to ask a private business ahead of time about their policies--too often the answer is 'No!', even when it's not supposed to be. Some managers assume authority to make decisions that were already in place from higher-ups. Or, at smaller businesses, nobody ever gave it any thought until you bring it up--then they default to "CYA" mode and once again say 'No!'.

hotrod

imported post

Brian D. wrote:
I'm sure there's the possibility of legal trouble for carryingin the areas posted by the CoE. My point was more about the likelihood of that actually happening, versus the risks involved with not having one's gun along at any given time.

Along similar lines, some barge-based restaurants along the Ohio River are posted with signs from the U.S. Coast Guard, which at least hint at the notion that guns are not allowed there. Again, nobody from that agency is around much either to give any real credibility to the signage.

About the WalMart incident: Many of us here and on other firearms-carry forums find it a bad idea to ask a private business ahead of time about their policies--too often the answer is 'No!', even when it's not supposed to be. Some managers assume authority to make decisions that were already in place from higher-ups. Or, at smaller businesses, nobody ever gave it any thought until you bring it up--then they default to "CYA" mode and once again say 'No!'.
How would the US Coast Guard derive the right to enforce anything pertaining to privately owned business. You canlegally carry aboard your own boat, how could they impose any regulation at a restuarant. If you could, tell me where you saw these signs. Thanks

Brian D.

imported post

The walkway leading out to the Hooters/JB Finns/Beer Sellar barge in Newport Ky. is posted with USCG signage which references codified stuff relating to subjecting one's self/belongings to search, and other such verbiage.

I've seen the same kind of signs on other restaurants that are built atop old barges here and there along the Ohio River.

My belief (partly from studying fed.gov sites and partly guesswork) is that in the event of an emergency/disaster, such as a haz-mat spill, terrorist action, huge flood, etc.) the Coast Guard retains the right to seize control of any such vessels on the large navigable waterways.

But of course the signs don't specify that these things apply only under emergency circumstances.

No idea how up-to-date these signs are or how much weight they carry relative to other laws. Can't say I care that much, either.

neuroblades

imported post

Brian D. wrote:

I was reading through this thread when I came across the mention of Wal Mart. This incident account might help assist others with Wal Mart and how to best handle them:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum25/37030.html

Just for the record, Wal Mart has been contacted by someone here on the forum and Wal Mart left a verbal voice mail OK'ing OC in their stores were state law allows it.

neuroblades

imported post

Bat Out of Hell wrote:
I usually open carry at cave run and I have no problems there. I was just curious if I could get in any legal trouble carrying at the spillway or around the dam. If I understood you correctly I'm okay to carry at the spillway? One more thing I wanted to bring up, I was at the Wal-mart in Morehead to get supplies and I asked if I could open carry in the store and I was promptly told NO. I was in a hurry so I didn't push the issue. Doesn't Wal-mart abide by state carry laws? If so how would I go about correcting the managements attitude on open carry?

You were told wrong! Wal Mart has vocally said that they follow the laws of the states in which their stores are located. Someone on the forum has made contact with them and has an MP3 of the voice mail. I have a copy of that MP# as well somewhere on my drives. Here's my personal encounter with my local Wal Mart earlier this year. This might help aid you in your efforts.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum25/37030.html