• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

True North Radio Network (MI) - Alpena city council votes to allow open carry

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.alpenanow.com/index.php/2010/04/07/alpena-ordinance-now-allows-open-carry-of-a-firearm

SNIP

Alpena ordinance now allows open carry of a firearm

April 7, 2010

It will soon be “totally” legal to stroll down the streets of Alpena with a loved one and a loaded pistol strapped to your side.

The State of Michigan already allows it but Alpena and many other communities have ordinances that restrict citizens from lawfully carrying a gun.

Thomas Matos, a former lawman from Arkansas first brought the error in the 1971 ordinance to the attention of the city in early December. Since that time city attorney Bill Pfeifer and Police Chief Kim Miller have been reviewing the laws and now agree it is legal to open carry a weapon.

The Municipal Council heard the first reading of the new ordinance this week and will formally adopt the changes on April 19. Ten days later the ordinance goes into effect.

. . .

malignity

imported post

While I'd also like to say 'well done', I find it funny, that they are saying it will now be totally legal. As if it weren't totally legal already. It kinda doesn't matter what Alpena's ordinance was, tbh.

Regardless, good job putting it in the rule book.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

malignity wrote:
While I'd also like to say 'well done', I find it funny, that they are saying it will now be totally legal. As if it weren't totally legal already. It kinda doesn't matter what Alpena's ordinance was, tbh.

Regardless, good job putting it in the rule book.
Before March 28, 1991, Michigan Preemption Law of 1990, is was a valid ordinance in their books.

malignity

imported post

I know, i'm just saying, this is posted as current events, and it's saying 'soon it'll be totally legal'. It's been totally legal since 1991. :p

B

Bikenut

imported post

scot623 wrote:
What a stupid article. It should say, "City of Alpena to no longer be in violation of state law." Friggin anti reporter.
And there you have it! But not the anti reporter... the City of Alpena's Municipal Council... after getting caught in having an illegal ordinance and then spinning it to sound like, as if in their magnificence, they will now "allow" it by "agreeing it is legal to open carry a weapon".

Ballocks! More fragile politician egos. Because of the preemption law they were never in a position to "agree" or "disagree"... they were only in a position to follow the law.... just as they expect us to follow the law whether we "agree" or "disagree" with it.

But still... good job on getting the illegal ordinance tossed out.

Funny thing is.... I doubt very many, if any, of the local politicians/police agencies all over Michigan realize that OCers are doing them a great favor... and saving them tons of money from lawsuits... by contacting them and bringing illegal ordinances to their attention.... before a lawsuit happens.

P229Sig357DAK

imported post

:uhoh:Mike wrote:
http://www.alpenanow.com/index.php/2010/04/07/alpena-ordinance-now-allows-open-carry-of-a-firearm

SNIP

April 7, 2010

It will soon be “totally” legal to stroll down the streets of Alpena with a loved one and a loaded pistol strapped to your side.

. . .

or It will soon be "totally" legal to stroll down the streets of Alpena with a loaded one and a lovely pistol strapped to your side.

:uhoh:

American Sheepdog

imported post

Mike wrote:

SNIP

April 7, 2010

The State of Michigan already allows it but Alpena and many other communities have ordinances that restrict citizens from lawfully carrying a gun.

Thomas Matos, a former lawman from Arkansas first brought the error in the 1971 ordinance to the attention of the city in early December. Since that time city attorney Bill Pfeifer and Police Chief Kim Miller have been reviewing the laws and now agree it is legal to open carry a weapon.

The Municipal Council heard the first reading of the new ordinance this week and will formally adopt the changes on April 19. Ten days later the ordinance goes into effect.

. . .
Thank you Mike!!!
I am Thomas matos. I was told I would be informed personally by the mayor when the ordinance was abolished. Although I feel honored to have stumbled onto your announcement, I sure wish I had gotten a call from the mayor.
I am running for Lt. Governor with Gubernatorial candidate Stacey Mathia (I) for the State of Michigan. I am asking for the support of Michigan Open Carry during our quest to restore the Great State of Michigan to represent the will of the people.
Long live the Republic!
Thomas Matos