Thread: Great Video-Charlton Heston's "A torch with no flame"

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

Parents show this to your kids now and in a few years and then every few years after that as a reminder.

http://la-gun.com/news/torch/
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

cool vid

Post imported post

Awesome!!!!!:celebrate
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

A very wise man...With a very wise message!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If you have a gun, what in the hell do you have to be paranoid for." Clint Smith, Director of Thunder Ranch

Post imported post

The age of kids in the video was such that I wouldn't have expected them to be completely familiar with the constitution. Middle school is the time that K-12 introduced the constitution, at least when I was in school. Teaching about it before that, I would think could argued to be a bad strategy, particularly for k-6 students. Young kids who are babysat by violent TV and video games do not need to all be told "guns are the reason you are free. It's your constitutional responsibility to get armed and stay armed, to be part of the unorganized militia". Sure, many kids are fine with this message at a young age. But you could argue that it isn't something that needs to be taught to kids under 10. (I'm no parent, so I don't really have a side on it)

On the flip side, in Arizona they have State issued Constitution posters they put in elementary schools, and in regards to the second amendment they say "In some cases, people have the right to own and carry weapons without government interference".

Arizona's method is better, that's for sure. It's light years ahead of the propaganda we were told and I refuted in Middle school. But I still don't object to waiting until middle school for constitution education.

I was first taught about the second amendment when I was about 11 or 12 as part of my Constitution studies in Boy Scouts. This would have been approximately the same era that this was made.

As with many NRA type things, it appears to me to be a half truth scare tactic. Good video though. Charlton was a great spokesperson.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    The age of kids in the video was such that I wouldn't have expected them to be completely familiar with the constitution. Middle school is the time that K-12 introduced the constitution, at least when I was in school. Teaching about it before that, I would think could argued to be a bad strategy, particularly for k-6 students. Young kids who are babysat by violent TV and video games do not need to all be told "guns are the reason you are free. It's your constitutional responsibility to get armed and stay armed, to be part of the unorganized militia". Sure, many kids are fine with this message at a young age. But you could argue that it isn't something that needs to be taught to kids under 10. (I'm no parent, so I don't really have a side on it)

On the flip side, in Arizona they have State issued Constitution posters they put in elementary schools, and in regards to the second amendment they say "In some cases, people have the right to own and carry weapons without government interference".

Arizona's method is better, that's for sure. It's light years ahead of the propaganda we were told and I refuted in Middle school. But I still don't object to waiting until middle school for constitution education.

I was first taught about the second amendment when I was about 11 or 12 as part of my Constitution studies in Boy Scouts. This would have been approximately the same era that this was made.

As with many NRA type things, it appears to me to be a half truth scare tactic. Good video though. Charlton was a great spokesperson.
    You are relying on public school to teach your kids??? Parents can talk about the Constitution and the 2A at any age and should...often.... This is a message to parents, not about teachers.

Scare tactic?The over all message is as true as....well truth. We are producing a generation of ignorance.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

I wonder if Arizona also has posters about it's constitution free zones 15 miles north of the border

Post imported post

Venator wrote:
    You are relying on public school to teach your kids??? Parents can talk about the Constitution and the 2A at any age and should...often.... This is a message to parents, not about teachers.

Scare tactic?The over all message is as true as....well truth. We are producing a generation of ignorance.
    Again, I'm not a parent, and don't want to be one.

Anyway, my point was not who should teach them or when, that's a side issue to what I was saying. My point is that it isn't realistic, at this point in time, or back then, to expect kids that young to know these things. You can say it should be, and I won't argue, but it just isn't the case presently.

Survey a group of high school seniors, and you'll probably get a very different response.

kyleplusitunes wrote:
    I wonder if Arizona also has posters about it's constitution free zones 15 miles north of the border
    Do you mean the border patrol check points?
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

kyleplusitunes wrote:
    :what:

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    Venator wrote:

Again, I'm not a parent, and don't want to be one.

Anyway, my point was not who should teach them or when, that's a side issue to what I was saying. My point is that it isn't realistic, at this point in time, or back then, to expect kids that young to know these things. You can say it should be, and I won't argue, but it just isn't the case presently.

Survey a group of high school seniors, and you'll probably get a very different response.

kyleplusitunes wrote:
    Do you mean the border patrol check points?
    They could have had 500 kids that knew the answer and just showed the ones that didn't, but that doesn't change the fact that some kids have no idea about the constitution and they feel guns are bad...(where do they get taught that?).

My guess is that the high school kids would do as well as the grade school kids. I should ask my daughter's class (10th grade) how many know about the constitution and the 2A.

I taught a college class (Geology) and asked an extra credit question...name the VP of the US. Most couldn't.

Post imported post

Venator wrote:
    I taught a college class (Geology) and asked an extra credit question...name the VP of the US. Most couldn't.
    One thing that I believe all here can agree on, for sure, is that way too many people are oblivious to simple facts about guns and gun rights, which is why open carry is so important. Among other positive things, it forces the truth to be learned.

Post imported post

live every day like its your last cause one day you will be right

Post imported post

Proof positive that people can and do change position on things ....
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."