• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Officer pulls gun in road rage

kenf729

imported post

I was wondering if anyone else seen this:

http://www.katu.com/news/local/90069477.html

" Nice said he drew his pistol because he couldn’t see Ruffin’s hands or what he was doing but said he never pointed the gun at Ruffin."

"No charges were filed and no tickets were issued."

Isn't this the same as brandishing?even though the officer is off duty he should still be treated as a normal citizen.

I think if someone is walking toward my car with a handgun I might be inclined to pull my wepon as well.

edit: spelling

PoppaGary

imported post

Ya right....in a just world maybe.

We had something similar over here in Vancouver (Orchards area) a couple years back where a off duty cop in uniform pulled a gun on a butcher who shoved the cop's box of deer jerky in his chest. He felt threatened, pulled a gun on the unarmed man and not only didn't get charged or otherwise disciplined, but they wanted to press charges against the butcher!

Gary

ZackL

imported post

Just perusing and saw this so I had to read it...

It sounds like Nice has a mental disturbance that should bar him from firearm ownership, or at the very least that he needs to seek treatment for. Just my .02 on the subject, but I'm really tired of cops thinking they are the be all end all because they are cops. LEO's are no different than us and they, it seems, actually have more issues that many of us normal citizens. As a result, they are getting out of control.

Teddybearfrmhell

imported post

it would seem that Officer Nice ISNT.... and one day he will go too far and portland pd will be holding the bag cause they were warned.

MAYBE the medford pd, the jackson county sherrifs office AND the oregon state police should go to portland and prevent Officer Nice from becoming a threat to society. it looks like a precrime waiting to happen, he already assulted a motorist and branished a weapon, more than mr pyle did in medford. i am sure they would have the support of the mail tribunes op ed writer, right?

DenWin

imported post

As with a lot of stories posted, there still isn't a lot of evidence in the news report it self. I know he is under investigation for something else, and another officer said he overreacted in the incident with the homeless men, but this is a new case and needs to be treated with what we know. He says he said one thing, and the other man said another. What we do know is that the witness does corroborate with NICE. We don't know why NICE thought he was in danger or what ever reason he had for that matter to draw his firearm. I think we'll have to wait for this one to play out before making too much concern on it.