• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

who carries 1911's?

dirtykoala

imported post

im switching from my easy to make ready glock (draw gun while dropping mag and pulling loaded mag, put mag in gun, rack) to a 1911. so now i guess it will be; draw gun while dropping mag and pulling loaded mag, put mag in gun, defeat thumb safety, rack, ensure grip safety and thumb safety are defeated.

maybe to me it just sounds more complicated because of safeties on the 1911 that arent an issue with glock.

how quickly can you 1911 users have your gun go from holstered to ready to go bang?

also, do you carry in mock condition 1? if not, what condition to you carry?

Rich Keagy

imported post

Kinda like Condition 3, but w/o a magazine, and no round in the chamber.
I leave the thumb safety off and the hammer back.
I have to pull the weapon, slip in a mag and rack the slide, and I'm ready to go boom.

mjones

imported post

I've done the same thing as RK...cocked, but not locked.

For me personally, the bigger issue is that unless you have a mag-change-friendly mag-well on a 1911, changing a doubl-stack mag is much faster.

I miss my urban LOC :(

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

You're just trying to slyly inform the board that you now have a 1911! Where are the pics? Personally, if I were you, I'd draw that sidearm by filling out a PPT for me and then signing off on it and paying the FFL for their trouble. Gimmie a call ten days later and I'll give you a good thumbs up on your successful draw.

Since I lack a 1911, I'm curious if the effort it takes to rack the slide without the hammer cocked is noticeably different from racking with the hammer down.

mjones

imported post

bigtoe416 wrote:
You're just trying to slyly inform the board that you now have a 1911! Where are the pics? Personally, if I were you, I'd draw that sidearm by filling out a PPT for me and then signing off on it and paying the FFL for their trouble. Gimmie a call ten days later and I'll give you a good thumbs up on your successful draw.

Since I lack a 1911, I'm curious if the effort it takes to rack the slide without the hammer cocked is noticeably different from racking with the hammer down.
Essentially the same as any other firearm with the hammer down. Firearms like Sigs where the hammer doesn't rest on the slide are the easiest...but ultimately the difference is pretty negligible.

dirtykoala

imported post

bigtoe416 wrote:

haha. pics will be up when the waiting period is over. you should buy my glock, then you could do this:

DualGlocksfire.jpg

i am a little concerned about how tight the new gun is, and the safties, and as mjones pointed out, how hard loading 1911s can be when you need to do it fast. ive put thousands of rounds through my glock and practiced with it tons. its gonna take a while to get as comfortable with the kimber.