• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Quick OC Question

4over4

imported post

I was going to OC for the first time tonight and had a few quick questions....

Will my 9 MM be "legal" or is there a certain size the firearm can be?

Or is the only rule of thumb for the firearm to be visible and holstered?

I know about the school zones, bars, etc... and have my route mapped out for walking.

OCglock1988

imported post

I'm not the expert but the answer is there are no caliber regulations. You can carry 9mm or a .22, or a .50ae... whatever you feel comfortable with and have a proper holster for.

Jason in WI

imported post

4over4 wrote:
Any size is fine. It's chilly out tonight so make sure you tuck your coat/jacket if your wearing one, behind your sidearm and you will be fine.

Welcome!
It's nice to see more people exercising their rights.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

4over4 wrote:
I was going to OC for the first time tonight and had a few quick questions....

[YES, MUST be visible, and preferably holstered]

I know about the school zones, bars, etc... and have my route mapped out for walking.

M

McX

imported post

and ofcourse, polite, friendly, and a few flyers on you.

4over4

imported post

Ended up OC'ing last night and got a look from a car driving by, not sure if it was them looking at my pooch or at that fact I was OC'ing.

Also OC'd this morning while I walked the pooch and it was uneventful.

ayce2

imported post

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but in the light of is this " is it legal" thread would an in the waistband at your appendix be open carry? It is visible, as much gun shows as in a holster, but it isn't on your hip.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

ayce2 wrote:
would an in the waistband at your appendix be open carry? It is visible, as much gun shows as in a holster, but it isn't on your hip.
I posted an image recently of a legal holster that entirely encased a gun such as my Luger. Unfortunately its legality was under the vehicle transport statute 167. Unfortunately the law is an ass that lawyers ride to work.

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

4over4 wrote:
Ended up OC'ing last night and got a look from a car driving by, not sure if it was them looking at my pooch or at that fact I was OC'ing.

Also OC'd this morning while I walked the pooch and it was uneventful.

Great work J!

Try OC'ing while you grocery shop. I can tell you the pick n save at hwy 100 and cleveland is VERY familiar with OC'ers coming in weekly. I've personally spoken with both the manager and assistant manager. Both are well aware of the legality of OC and that Roundy's does NOT prohibit OC in their stores.

Carry On!

4over4

imported post

OC'd again tonight on my walk with people paying & commenting more aboutmy dog then the fact I was OC'ing...which is a good thing.

Debating if I want to get really bold tomorrow and go to Menards and other errands with it or not...

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I caution anyone from carrying a firearm in their waistband. Although it is not unlawful to do so it would be better to carry it in a recognized holster. Wisconsincase law has ruled that the firearm should be visible from three sides and it has ruled that a firearm need not be totally hidden to be considered concealed, it need only be hidden from "ordinary view", whatever the courts consider that to be.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Lammie wrote:
Wisconsincase law has ruled that the firearm should be visible from three sides
Which court case?

Lammie wrote:
and it has ruled that a firearm need not be totally hidden to be considered concealed, it need only be hidden from "ordinary view", whatever the courts consider that to be.
From Walls

[align=left]
If parties approaching a [person], carrying a weapon[,] ... or passing [the person] on the streets or highways, or thrown with [the person] in ordinary social contact, can see the weapon without inspection or examination for that purpose, but from ordinary observation, then such weapon is not concealed ...
[/align]

hunter9mm

imported post

Lammie wrote:
I caution anyone from carrying a firearm in their waistband. Although it is not unlawful to do so it would be better to carry it in a recognized holster. Wisconsincase law has ruled that the firearm should be visible from three sides and it has ruled that a firearm need not be totally hidden to be considered concealed, it need only be hidden from "ordinary view", whatever the courts consider that to be.
Lammie wrote it further up in tis thread

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

hunter9mm wrote:
Lammie wrote:
Lammie wrote it further up in tis thread
Are you trying to be funny?
Or did you not understand my comments?
I have seen orthe "Viewable from three Sides" requirement, but it had nothing to do with Wisconsin law, or any decisions in a court case.
It came from another case someplace else in the country besides Wisconsin, so it has no bearing at all in how we are able to carry.

if a firearm is partially concealed by something besides the holster it is sitting in, I would expect some cop somewhere to try and get you convicted of carrying a concealed firearm.
But there are no statutes, case-law, or guidelines to that in WI law, it is all speculation at this point.

hunter9mm

imported post

No, not really trying to be funny at all, as I recalled seeing it recently. Just posted it as to where you saw it to define "The someplace" you mentioned in your post, in hopes that the poster might shed some light on where he may have found it.

That's all.