• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Arizona gets "Constitutional" concealed carry

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

Looks like our friends to the South have beat us to the punch on this one. I had kind of hoped that Utah would be the first of the lower 48 to get "Alaska Carry" or "Constitutional Carry" or just plain old permit-free concealed carry with a permit system still in place. But it is always easier not to be the first so let's make sure to follow suit just as soon as possible.

KSL report of the AP story at http://www.ksl.com/?nid=157&sid=10317815

The Arizona section thread at http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=41825&forum_id=10&jump_to=719728#p719728

Congrats to those who made this a reality in Arizona and have now paved the way for Utah to follow.

Charles

scorpioajr

imported post

That is SERIOUSLY something that Utah needs to do. I think the idea of this type of carry is the most fair across the board. Hey, it'll take a few months or so to weed out the idiots, then on to a polite society: Finally.

Very cool. :celebrate

swillden

imported post

kdt1970 wrote:
So does this make it legal for a Utah resident to carry concealled there without a permit.
From the KSL article:

The legislation, approved by the House 36-19 without discussion, would make it legal for most U.S. citizens 21 or older to carry a concealed weapon in Arizona without the permit now required. Currently, carrying a hidden firearm without a permit is a misdemeanor punishable by up to six months in jail and a fine of up to $2,500.
I'm sure the "most" is just to exclude felons and the like.

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

kdt1970 wrote:
So does this make it legal for a Utah resident to carry concealled there without a permit.
Yes. ONCE it actually goes into effect. I'm not sure when that is in Arizona generally, or on this bill specifically, but somewhere between 30 and 60 days following signing by the governor or end of legislative session is fairly common.

Arizona does recognize a Utah permit as long as you are not an Arizona resident. But I would not carry concealed in Arizona without a valid permit until I had confirmed the law was in effect.

Charles

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

The effective date will be 90 days after the current legislative session adjuorns. The adjournment date has not been set.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
imported post

Governor Jan Brewer has not signed it into law yet. I believe that she has until midnight on Wednesday to veto it if she is going to. I don't think she will, but she could, so lets all celebrate once it is signed or after Wednesday. AZCDL worked very hard for this bill, and it has many other very good things in it besides Constitutional Carry.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Great job, Arizona! :monkey

Hopefully this will result in a positive change for Arizona, and the idea will spread like wildfire. :dude: