• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No permits in Arizona

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm jealous. I need to win the lottery so I can afford to move to a new state.

junkie

imported post

Does anybody think that something like this would ever be possible here in Wisconsin after we get rid of Doyle?

There are some nice spots down there and lived in New Mexico for quite a while when I was in the military. One thing for sure though, is that it gets way too HOT for me.

hardballer

imported post

AZ has some beauty to behold for sure but there is the water problem and many, many bad people that have immigrated from Kalifornica. Also, if you get bit by one of their bugs, you may die.

Sold my home in Minnesota and moved to AZ. I lived there for just over a year. Was shot at in North Phoenix, several times. Bullet holes in my 5th wheel and F350. Did not like that at all.

Moved to a small town West of Phoenix, a nice quiet little community and snuggled into a nice little spot by the river. Technically speaking, it was a dry river bed but there was a "No Diving" sign on the bridge over it. Funny stuff.

Anyway, we're house shopping and enjoying the Black Widows, scorpions, rattle snakes, found a family of em not 20 feet from where we parked. Never told the wife about that.

Fought off javelinas and the occasional desert burro. We actually figured we could put up with all that but the final straw came when one night after a nice dinner, we were just going to sit back and watch the tube. My wife says lets just not turn it on and listen to the night instead.

I'm good with that, so I open the door and the first thing I hear are cries for help. Before I could stop her she was out the door and running towards the commotion. I caught up with her about halfway there.

Two guys were beating a third fella to death with softball sized rocks. Slamming him up against someone's trailer (the occupants closed their curtains and shut the lights off), kicking and stomping . . . . Well . . . his head was split open and blood everywhere.

By this time I had grabbed my wife and told her to get back to the 5th wheel and call 911. Being from Wisconsin and wanting to help but about as naive as it gets, I ran forward and yelled a string of obscenities along with a demand that they quit beating this fella. I'm a big guy myself but this boy was BIG. Very intense at the time.

To my surprise, they quit beating the victim, stood up and one guy who could easily be a brother of the biker character in Ocean's eleven, only meaner, stands up and he is a big boy.

I am yelling at the top of my lungs for them to get the H-E- double hockey sticks out of there, he approaches me and says he was just helping this poor guy up cause he fell down the embankment. What ever.

Anyway, He and his partner jumped into his car and away he went. Cops show about a minute later, 4 minutes later, they have both in custody. Long story short, we identify them, we're subpoenaed to appear in court.

First, they wanted to try it in Mericopa County but it got kicked back to the small town. The attempted murder was plead to 5th degree assault and during the two months of waiting we had this bad azz show up at our home, restaurant, when eating out, grocery store, etc. Always a big smile on his face and a howdy do.

The good was we saved someone's life that night. He and his parents came by and thanked us for saving him. Called us guardian angels. My wife maybe. Me, not so sure about that angel thing.

The whole affair was instructional and very frightening. When court time came, we said our piece, left the court house and pointed our F350 North, skedaddled back to Wisconsin. Oh yeah, Arizona was a great time.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Wow. Hardballer you lived the times I don't want to live! Good for you for getting the heck out of there. Did you open carry in Arizona?

I like Arizona and have been there many, many times but would never consider living there. Too much crime these days and too many non-residents and their gangs.

I personally wish I could head back to Washington or even Alaska to live my final years.

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

rcawdor57 wrote:
I personally wish I could head back to Washington or even Alaska to live my final years.
Alaska would be amazing. I think I need to look for an IT job up there :)

I mainly just want to live somewhere that I can feel safe at all times, and have a gun on my from the time I wake up to the time I go to bed. Having mountain views would just be a big plus!

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Lived in Washington about 11 years ago. I open carried in the Olympic National Forest on the peninsula as well as C.C. Backpacked, camped and hiked all over the mountains. I was in Ketchikan (spelling?) about ten years ago and loved it. No locked doors, everyone out at all hours of the day and night and everyone friendly. Didn't carry in Alaska since I had to take a boat through Canada to get there but still worth the trip. Want a good read about Alaska? "One Man's Wilderness". You won't be disappointed. :exclaim:

hardballer

imported post

logan wrote:
rcawdor57 wrote:
Alaska would be amazing. I think I need to look for an IT job up there :)

I mainly just want to live somewhere that I can feel safe at all times, and have a gun on my from the time I wake up to the time I go to bed. Having mountain views would just be a big plus!
I lived in Washington, Vancouver, just across from Portland and some out by Battleground lake, an actual extinct volcano. Beautiful country and was a lot of fun. Now Vancouver is a sprawling metropolis and you have to go farther than battle ground for peace and quiet. I vote for Alaska too. I would give that move serious consideration today.

hardballer

imported post

rcawdor57 wrote:
Wow. Hardballer you lived the times I don't want to live! Good for you for getting the heck out of there. Did you open carry in Arizona?

I like Arizona and have been there many, many times but would never consider living there. Too much crime these days and too many non-residents and their gangs.

Yup, I agree. The gangs and illegals were already a big problem when we moved down there. This is 20 years ago. Can't even imagine what it is like now. I didn't know this till we got there though. Found out the hard way.

I did security installs and consulting in Phoenix, cameras, alarms etc. big dollars then, even did iron bars on windows and doors.

One home I come up on, cement block as many of the older homes are, had pock marks all over the front. Being from up North, I didn't really recognize what they were till I got in the house and started installing bars on the windows and doors.

I'm sure you've already guessed but they were bullet holes. As I was working, I asked the lady of the house if she would like the glass in her windows replaced and she said, no, They'll just shoot them out again. WOW!:what:

Another place down by Glendale, I get on site, pull up in my van, the owner greets me at the door and . . . . for real, looks left down the alley and right, looks at me and says,"you need to get out of here. I says I'm here to install your security system. He, ignores that and says," They will kill you! You need to go now." This guy was scared to death. I have always been a little niave and this was no different.

I tried to calm him down and went about my business of installing his system. No troubles but hey, scary times.

Worked for a DPS worker, she was in child services. She had me rebuild the kitchen patio doorway that had been blown apart by an attack from, Her words here. . . "The Mexican Mafia". They blew up the doorway with some kind of incendiary device and trashed her house. She had removed a child from a family connected.

Fixed her right up. By this time, I was souring on Arizona. Not the paradise you see on the post cards. I haven't even mentioned the fires in the desert, Burned out vehicles, riddled with bullet holes, truck tool boxes with human remains found in the desert (more than one). I did not find them, thank God but it happened while I was there.

No Thanks. I'll take Wisconsin for now and maybe Alaska in the future. We'll see.

ISRAEL

imported post

Boise, Idaho is O.K. a good place to live and rise a family. and "A Golden Star State" You will love to O.C. here, the wheather is nice ,Summemers are super hot but only 3 month of the year. Think about it. Israel, su vaquero amigo.

hardballer

imported post

ISRAEL wrote:
Boise, Idaho is O.K. a good place to live and rise a family. and "A Golden Star State" You will love to O.C. here, the wheather is nice ,Summemers are super hot but only 3 month of the year. Think about it. Israel, su vaquero amigo.
Went through the mountains in Idaho a couple of times, once on motorcycle and was astounded by the incredible beauty. Stayed at a little old west styled motel along a river gorge with a 1800's style steam train running on a track down by the river. Some 300 feet below us. Was very cool.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

Y'all need to stop braggin' on the nice places lest they be filled up before you can get there. My brother is Pastor Dave in Priest River. I lived in Pocatello while I went to school at INEL - and married the first time there.

To keep it OT, I also murdered 400 jackrabbits in a weekend of shooting.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
Y'all need to stop braggin' on the nice places lest they be filled up before you can get there. My brother is Pastor Dave in Priest River. I lived in Pocatello while I went to school at INEL - and married the first time there.

To keep it OT, I also murdered 400 jackrabbits in a weekend of shooting.

LOL. You murderer. I didn't open carry when I lived in Idaho but I did a lot of shooting. Heck, I lived very close to those nuke sites and was only a mile or so from the BLM land. Use to drive there and shoot those big ole jacks and ground hog looking critters with a Remington 700 in 30-06. Shot a rabbit only 10 yards away with it and it disintegrated. Heck, the state paid a bounty on each jack shot back in those days.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

Went shooting with a classmate armed with a .22 Single Six. Jack got rattled and ran towards him, a big guy. Hopping up and down on one leg and the other as he emptied the pistol at the rabbit running between his legs. That one got away.

I first bought a K-Mart .22 semi-automatic with a little scope. Traded it for a HR 12 ga. and traded that for my Remington 700 in .17 under a 10 x 60 scope. I traded that in SC for an engine and transmission for the SCCA B Sedan 510 Datsun.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hardballer, those are some tough tales. You should consider putting it all on paper and selling the stories. The last time I was in Arizona I drove through to visit Dillon Precision in Scottsdale. Would you know it was a Sunday and they were closed? I had to keep moving so couldn't visit them the next day. Scottsdale didn't seem too bad but oh....Phoenix is horrible.
I have a friend (Jim) who lives in N.M. and he has stories very similar to yours. He is a deputy sheriff so he has some backup from time to time. Once down there about 5 years ago we pull into a convenience store for fuel and lo and behold a car full of ...miscreants pulls into the lane to our right. Jim hands me one of his guns and tells me to stay in the truck and watch them. Jim starts pumping gas and listens to what they are saying. These three guys had decided to not only drive off without paying for the fuel but to rob the store as well before they leave. What to do? Do we act like Sheeple and run away or ??? Jim calmly walks into the store (armed and concealed) and tells the person at the counter that he is a deputy (not in the county we were in though) and that the guys out at pump 7 were planning to rob the store. Jim calmly calls the police and tells them the entire story in under a minute and walks back outside to finish the fill up. It was only a minute or two later (seemed like forever) and two police cruisers pull in, one behind and one on the right side (but back to their rear) of the "suspects" car.

No robbery took place and no one got hurt. Have no idea if these guys were arrested or charged with anything since nothing had happened. We couldn't let them commit the crime and possible kill someone and maybe or maybe not get arrested for it. I know some people will say we should have let them commit the crime or maybe it would never have happened..yada yada yada....We heard them and that was enough for us to call the police.

Jim has had numerous run ins with illegals setting up the "broken down vehicle" routine in the middle of the sagebrush country roads. One time he got out of his truck (seeing only one person by the vehicle) with his shotgun and asked "Do you need help?". Four or five illegals came out of nowhere, jumped in the "broken down vehicle with the hood up), slammed the hood down and took off.

Next time I go to N.M. I will be open carrying since now I know it is 100% legal to do so in N.M. now. I didn't know this 4 or 5 years ago when I was there and to tell ya the truth I never even thought about it. I had a concealed carry license and it never crossed my mind to open carry.

I have to say I PREFER open carry to concealed carry now that I have been doing it here in Wisconsin and I do not ever want to lose this right. I feel like a criminal now when I travel to other states and carry concealed (legally of course). Big difference from my thoughts of only a few years ago!:exclaim:

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
Went shooting with a classmate armed with a .22 Single Six. Jack got rattled and ran towards him, a big guy. Hopping up and down on one leg and the other as he emptied the pistol at the rabbit running between his legs. That one got away.

I first bought a K-Mart .22 semi-automatic with a little scope. Traded it for a HR 12 ga. and traded that for my Remington 700 in .17 under a 10 x 60 scope. I traded that in SC for an engine and transmission for the SCCA B Sedan 510 Datsun.
LOL. You ended up with a Datsun! Haven't heard that name in years. I'll bet a large number of the guys n gals on this forum don't know what that is!

A friend of mine shot a bunch of jacks for supper one day (I discouraged him from even thinking of eating them) and took them home to clean. Well, he must have been a city boy because he got started on the skinning and threw up. LOL! I would never eat Jack rabbit. Nasty looking critters! I know a few people that do but not me.

That 30-06 I had was a kick butt rifle. I sold it to a shipmate on the Narwhal. Heck, I didn't have time to shoot back then or even breathe! I wish I had that rifle now. The Jacks and ground hog critters I shot with it I did so with the Remington Accelerator rounds. Remember those bad boys? 55 grain .223 bullets in a sabot in the 30-06 case. Heck, they were exiting the barrel at 4000 plus fps. Whenever I hit something with those bullets up close the target in question just vanished. I still have half a box of those from 1979.

Spartacus

Banned
imported post

Is it alright if I bring this thread back on topic? :D

I can't tell if this new law allowing CC without a permit applies only to resident Arizonans or whether it allows visitors that right as well.