Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guy From Michigan Wants Info

Regular Member American Boy With a Gun's Avatar

Post imported post

So, say there was this guy in MI...and he was considering a move to eithera small town inTexas or somewhere in central Colorado, and said individual was interested in the basic need to know info on OC in Colorado (Rifles And Handguns)....what would you fine gentlemen (and ladies) be able to tell me?
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." -- Samuel Adams, 1776

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject

Post imported post

American Boy With a Gun wrote:
    So, say there was this guy in MI...and he was considering a move to eithera small town inTexas or somewhere in central Colorado, and said individual was interested in the basic need to know info on OC in Colorado (Rifles And Handguns)....what would you fine gentlemen (and ladies) be able to tell me?
    If your really into to open carry, move to CO...

Im pretty sure that small town or not, you cant open carry in Texas.
    OH NO!!! I cant seem to think of anything "funny" and/or "wise" to put in my forum signature...NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! lol

Post imported post

MI has pretty good OC laws, im just curious as to whether or not i would be arrested for OC'ing a couple 1911's on my way to the store, and i REALLY need info on Vehical carry
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." -- Samuel Adams, 1776

Post imported post

OC of rifles is legal with the chamber empty when you're transporting (game law). OC is legal except where it's posted with a clear sign at every entrance, this means that malls that only have the main entrance posted are legal to carry in to. Schools and government buildings are off limits as is anywhere with a metal detector (which everyone passes through) and full time security staff present. No open carry in Denver city/Denver county or on parks owned by the city outside of the Denver itself (i.e. lookout mountain trails in Golden). I think that's basically it.

Oh yeah, open carry, or concealed carry, on your property (includes your car) or your place of business (I believe you must be the business owner) is legal.

Post imported post

so if i had a beretta on my hip, and went into Subway, and planned to stay and eat lunch, is that legal?

Post imported post

Perfectly, so long as you are outside of Denver city/county/parks. I have carried into subway with absolutely no issues (other than a few looks from passerby) as well as every other fast food chain out here. The only place I've ran into a problem is at Buffalo Wild Wings when I first started carrying. After that nothing.

Post imported post

Perfect, anyone know any good, quiet places to live in CO? the move wont be till i finish school ( 2 years or so ) but im pretty sure ive made up my mind

Post imported post

Most of Colorado is nice and quiet. If you're looking for a good small town I recommend Falcon, Calhan, Ramah, Brighton, Simla, Woodland Park, Manitou Springs, Delta, Cedaredge, Conifer, Evergreen, or Walsenberg. Small cities I would say Arvada, Westminster, Thornton (all three in Denver metro), Castle Rock (nice town), Colorado Springs is nice, but pretty large (comparatively), Limon and Trinidad are all pretty decent little cities. It all depends on what you're looking for in a city.

Post imported post

What about 15 acres, a nice small house, nice neighbors, small but not too small town..someplace where i could find a job...im trying to do my research but im no good at multi tasking,,,, thanks a million btw

Post imported post

Northern and western portions of Arvada, Westminster, and Thornton, they're close to Denver and fairly large, but if you can afford it, they have some rural country around them. Calhan is a cheap place to find some land and it's close enough to the springs that it wouldn't kill you to drive in, Falcon's good and Limon would just about perfectly fit the bill. All around the little mountain towns (Evergreen, Conifer, Pine, etc.) offer nice wooded lots, but finding cheap mountain land it's nearly impossible to do. Were you looking for plains, mountains, desert, forest, areas with water nearby, or...?

Post imported post

anything works, wooded peaks the interest but im nt picky, and this wont actually happen for a few years probably, im lookin at limon, seems like a nice place

Post imported post

Checkout the Black Forest and around Falcon as well.

Post imported post

Im really liking Limon, houses in CO look alot nicer than here in MI, i just wanna get outta the city

Post imported post

You could transfer out to UCCS in Colorado Springs or to CU if you wanted to expedite the process of moving a lot of places in Central and Southern Colorado are very affordable lol. But yeah, before my family and I moved to Calhan we looked a few places on between 40 and 120 acres out in Limon. It's really nice, the only problem I have is that I can't see my mountains.

Post imported post

Mountains are nice, but some of these houses are awesome, i just cant tell how big the lots are, i want a nice little chunk of land where i can target shoot my rifle and not disturb anyone, but i still need a way to make a living, whats the job market like in Colorado Springs? Im a pretty young guy, prefer general labor, haul stuff around jobs

Post imported post

I can't really tell you for sure about the job market as I work from home. Anything in Limon that has about 20 acres or more is fine for shooting I would think. It does depend on your neighbors a bit though. Anything up in the black forest or the foothills with any kind of acreage would work (I would assume).

Post imported post

God, with so many great places to choose from where does one start. The Front Range which is a large area from Monument to Ft. Collins, encompasses much of the Denver Metro Area and great places to live and work. Would avoid City/County of Denver and you can read more about that here in various posts. As a whole Colorado is very friendly to OC. Texas on the other hand it is off limits, but a saturday education class and an hour at the range and you can have a CCP for Texas. I found Texas way to hot and in the summer you have to be creative to properly conceal your weapon.

Colorado Springs and Peublo offer some great opportunities as well, and lets not forget the high Country, Beuna Vista, Alamosa, Pagosa Springs, Montrose, Gunnison and many of the other places offer unique opportunities for work and play and all are OC friendly. Now the bad news... I hear we are closing our boarders to foreigners ie.. anyone from out of state... Just kidding but have thought about, seems people have figured out that Colorado is really pretty good, the weather is not as bad as Michigan and we have all the outdoor activities one could imagine...Best of luck in your search....

Post imported post

East of the rockies = tornado's, In the rockies = horrible traffic from the city dwellers, west of the rockies (Delta, G.J., Montrose) = desert.

Houses in Colorado are very expensive, so is land. Water is worth more than gold, there are very few places to boat and swim, and of those, they're all packed, and at times have lines over a mile long of people waiting to get in (Chatfield comes to mind). They do have one thing we don't have though, toll roads.
    Rand Paul 2016

Post imported post

Yooper?...how did you end up in the CO sub forum lol

Post imported post

American Boy With a Gun wrote:
    Yooper?...how did you end up in the CO sub forum lol
    I lived in Colorado for 8 or so years, and take a trip there every summer due to my wifes family being there.
    Rand Paul 2016

Post imported post

oh wow, you dont seem to like it very much lol, personally i think it looks great, nice houses, seemingly nice people.....better than South Warren at least

Post imported post

Yooper, you aren't very well versed on the back country of Colorado and it's watery offerings, are you? There are several places, a little out of the way, but well worth the drive, that are never crowded and are actually rarely used by most people. Also, anything east of Limon, I do agree with the tornado comment, west of there and they are very infrequent, but there have been tornadoes in the foothills, so it's not completely out of the question. As for being in the mountains and dealing with "horrible traffic from the city dwellers" on 70, yeah, very true. On the weekends, yeah, pretty true, but it's not so bad heading in from a city other than Denver. We have our flaws, but we more than make up for it.

Also, outside of E470, what toll roads do we have in Colorado?

Post imported post

Moved from Detroit in 2006.

Post imported post

and how would you say it is? scale of 1-10....10 being the best

Post imported post

ZackL wrote:
    Yooper, you aren't very well versed on the back country of Colorado and it's watery offerings, are you? There are several places, a little out of the way, but well worth the drive, that are never crowded and are actually rarely used by most people. Also, anything east of Limon, I do agree with the tornado comment, west of there and they are very infrequent, but there have been tornadoes in the foothills, so it's not completely out of the question. As for being in the mountains and dealing with "horrible traffic from the city dwellers" on 70, yeah, very true. On the weekends, yeah, pretty true, but it's not so bad heading in from a city other than Denver. We have our flaws, but we more than make up for it.

Also, outside of E470, what toll roads do we have in Colorado?
    All the lakes that I knew of that didn't have a lot of people were fairly high up, and never warm enough for swimming, or they didn't allow boats....well, gas engines anyway. As far as the I-70 thing, I lived in Evergreen, and in the Georgetown area, so I really, really, really got sick of getting stuck in weekend traffic, or the traffic jams every time it would snow a flake or 2. I also lived in Delta for a while, which I really didn't mind, other than there's very few trees, and unless you irrigate it, it turns to dirt really fast.

But, everything is my opinion, so take it as such. I grew up a few miles from Lake Superior, with rivers and lakes everywhere (can't be more than 85 miles from one of the great lakes, or more than 6 miles from a lake or river in Michigan), so when I moved there, it seemed so barren and dry.
    Rand Paul 2016

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast