• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guy From Michigan Wants Info

ZackL

imported post

Yooper, you aren't very well versed on the back country of Colorado and it's watery offerings, are you? There are several places, a little out of the way, but well worth the drive, that are never crowded and are actually rarely used by most people. Also, anything east of Limon, I do agree with the tornado comment, west of there and they are very infrequent, but there have been tornadoes in the foothills, so it's not completely out of the question. As for being in the mountains and dealing with "horrible traffic from the city dwellers" on 70, yeah, very true. On the weekends, yeah, pretty true, but it's not so bad heading in from a city other than Denver. We have our flaws, but we more than make up for it.

Also, outside of E470, what toll roads do we have in Colorado?

Yooper

imported post

ZackL wrote:
Yooper, you aren't very well versed on the back country of Colorado and it's watery offerings, are you? There are several places, a little out of the way, but well worth the drive, that are never crowded and are actually rarely used by most people. Also, anything east of Limon, I do agree with the tornado comment, west of there and they are very infrequent, but there have been tornadoes in the foothills, so it's not completely out of the question. As for being in the mountains and dealing with "horrible traffic from the city dwellers" on 70, yeah, very true. On the weekends, yeah, pretty true, but it's not so bad heading in from a city other than Denver. We have our flaws, but we more than make up for it.

Also, outside of E470, what toll roads do we have in Colorado?
All the lakes that I knew of that didn't have a lot of people were fairly high up, and never warm enough for swimming, or they didn't allow boats....well, gas engines anyway. As far as the I-70 thing, I lived in Evergreen, and in the Georgetown area, so I really, really, really got sick of getting stuck in weekend traffic, or the traffic jams every time it would snow a flake or 2. I also lived in Delta for a while, which I really didn't mind, other than there's very few trees, and unless you irrigate it, it turns to dirt really fast.

But, everything is my opinion, so take it as such. I grew up a few miles from Lake Superior, with rivers and lakes everywhere (can't be more than 85 miles from one of the great lakes, or more than 6 miles from a lake or river in Michigan), so when I moved there, it seemed so barren and dry.

ZackL

imported post

I agree that, at least when compared to other states, we are really dry. I'm sorry for your I-70 experiences. Down south (few hours from Denver) there are some good lakes and then on the western slope there's some that are great as well, maybe a little too cold for swimming 10 months out of the year, but they are there. Some of them lakes and ponds in town are pretty good for swimming as well, I'm not sure if you technically can, but the other kids in my neighborhood never seemed to mind.

I'm a native that happened to be thrust into Oregon for a couple years as a kid, I much prefer my dry, barren landscapes to that soggy mess (you wanna see bad drivers in the snow, the Pacific Northwest is the WORST, half an inch shutdown the whole state).

cscitney87

imported post

It's a great move: from Detroit to Denver. Scale of 1-10 I would say that Denver is a 10 compared to Detroit and I would say Denver Metro suburbs are a +20 compared to the old aged, run down, savaged suburbs of Detroit. I have family in Hazel Park, Lincoln Park, Hamtram, Eastpoint, Shelby Township, Sterling Heights, St Clair Shores, etc. I can say; with confidence, that the Worst of Denver is better than the best of Detroit.

Evergreen area, off I70, is Soooooo beautiful. Honestly "plain Jane" flat landscapes in Michigan are just way to boring. When I go back to visit Michigan I get a really bad feeling of depression. I feeling like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. Colorado feels much more freeing. It's the air, the color of the sky, the landscape, the sunsets, the people, all of it.

People in Colorado are about 10000% nicer too.

American Boy With a Gun

imported post

Awesome, but if i move to limon....what are the odds of me finding a job?, ill need one ASAP after the move, im looking at schools too, when i move (Whenever that is) ;) ill only be bringing my explorer full of stuff, my guns, and thats about it actually....whats CO's Class 3 laws?....thanks to everyone for the info, and to john for not locking this thread for being ot :) ;) :p

American Boy With a Gun

imported post

sweet, hopefully this wont fall through on me lol, theres some nice houses near Colorado Springs that arent all that expensive, 500$ a month or so is a pretty good price.....and when it comes to jobs Anywhere > Michigan lol, ill just need to find adecent one fast

cscitney87

imported post

I do have to point out that almost half the state is flat flat flat. If you are in Limon; flat. You won't notice a difference.

For a real Shocker; you do have to butt up against the Front Range or better, live in the mountains.

You can't even see the mountains on the horizon at the Eastern border of the Colorado. You have to do some driving in first.

I think the plains are boring boring.

American Boy With a Gun

imported post

Anywhere near a large town or a city where ican geta small chunk of land, but i dont want to be out in the middle of no where, no jobs, at least in my experience...and yes, plains are booorriiinnggg....but im far from a picky guy, and flat land makes for easier shooting so ill take what i can get;)

American Boy With a Gun

imported post

0 Listings match your search criteria, that was like 6 cities, with 200k as max, and thats it, noacreage, no utilitie criteria, and still nothing....Colorado seems to have fewer homes for sale than MI....lol

ZackL

imported post

That may be true. But up in the Black Forest and Monument areas you can get close to the mountains, near enough to Colorado Springs to be useful and not too terrible of a drive to Denver if worse came to worst. Larkspur is another town you may want to check out and then there's always the little mountain towns that aren't too far from reasonable cities that can offer employment.

cscitney87

imported post

From what I've seen personally; new growth pushes West through the major highways; 285, 70, 6; and other main thoroughfares.

When I first moved to Conifer.. We had a Safeway.. By the time I left; old Safeway came and gone, new Safeway built... Had a new King Soopers.. New Staples.. New everything; Sonic.. Black Knight Video Games... A Spa.. Business selling slot machines, pool tables, and hot tubs.. Pizzerias.. The list goes on and on.

Big time employment. The population is pushing West to the Front Range.. Then it trickles in through the highways to the mountain communities. The mountain communities are growing and eventually blossom a service industry to serve the town that once served another town that once served another town.

The problem with Michigan is that the landscape is SOOO flat; nearly everything has been developed already. There's nothing new to build unless you can pay to rip down the old structure. Out here along the roads are generally flat sections of valleys that support new structures and new growth. Nothing to remove except a few bucket loads of rock.

It's still, in a way; the wild wild west.

American Boy With a Gun

imported post

You guys know anything about Como?, i found that theres nice houses there sitting on 8-12 acres, but i would really like something to the west, looks nicer ;) and like cs said, new developments are always great