• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guy From Michigan Wants Info

American Boy With a Gun

imported post

So, say there was this guy in MI...and he was considering a move to eithera small town inTexas or somewhere in central Colorado, and said individual was interested in the basic need to know info on OC in Colorado (Rifles And Handguns)....what would you fine gentlemen (and ladies) be able to tell me?

groovedrummer

imported post

American Boy With a Gun wrote:
So, say there was this guy in MI...and he was considering a move to eithera small town inTexas or somewhere in central Colorado, and said individual was interested in the basic need to know info on OC in Colorado (Rifles And Handguns)....what would you fine gentlemen (and ladies) be able to tell me?
If your really into to open carry, move to CO...

Im pretty sure that small town or not, you cant open carry in Texas.

ZackL

imported post

OC of rifles is legal with the chamber empty when you're transporting (game law). OC is legal except where it's posted with a clear sign at every entrance, this means that malls that only have the main entrance posted are legal to carry in to. Schools and government buildings are off limits as is anywhere with a metal detector (which everyone passes through) and full time security staff present. No open carry in Denver city/Denver county or on parks owned by the city outside of the Denver itself (i.e. lookout mountain trails in Golden). I think that's basically it.

Oh yeah, open carry, or concealed carry, on your property (includes your car) or your place of business (I believe you must be the business owner) is legal.

ZackL

imported post

Perfectly, so long as you are outside of Denver city/county/parks. I have carried into subway with absolutely no issues (other than a few looks from passerby) as well as every other fast food chain out here. The only place I've ran into a problem is at Buffalo Wild Wings when I first started carrying. After that nothing.

ZackL

imported post

Most of Colorado is nice and quiet. If you're looking for a good small town I recommend Falcon, Calhan, Ramah, Brighton, Simla, Woodland Park, Manitou Springs, Delta, Cedaredge, Conifer, Evergreen, or Walsenberg. Small cities I would say Arvada, Westminster, Thornton (all three in Denver metro), Castle Rock (nice town), Colorado Springs is nice, but pretty large (comparatively), Limon and Trinidad are all pretty decent little cities. It all depends on what you're looking for in a city.

American Boy With a Gun

imported post

What about 15 acres, a nice small house, nice neighbors, small but not too small town..someplace where i could find a job...im trying to do my research but im no good at multi tasking,,,, thanks a million btw

ZackL

imported post

Northern and western portions of Arvada, Westminster, and Thornton, they're close to Denver and fairly large, but if you can afford it, they have some rural country around them. Calhan is a cheap place to find some land and it's close enough to the springs that it wouldn't kill you to drive in, Falcon's good and Limon would just about perfectly fit the bill. All around the little mountain towns (Evergreen, Conifer, Pine, etc.) offer nice wooded lots, but finding cheap mountain land it's nearly impossible to do. Were you looking for plains, mountains, desert, forest, areas with water nearby, or...?

ZackL

imported post

You could transfer out to UCCS in Colorado Springs or to CU if you wanted to expedite the process of moving a lot of places in Central and Southern Colorado are very affordable lol. But yeah, before my family and I moved to Calhan we looked a few places on between 40 and 120 acres out in Limon. It's really nice, the only problem I have is that I can't see my mountains.

American Boy With a Gun

imported post

Mountains are nice, but some of these houses are awesome, i just cant tell how big the lots are, i want a nice little chunk of land where i can target shoot my rifle and not disturb anyone, but i still need a way to make a living, whats the job market like in Colorado Springs? Im a pretty young guy, prefer general labor, haul stuff around jobs ;)

ZackL

imported post

I can't really tell you for sure about the job market as I work from home. Anything in Limon that has about 20 acres or more is fine for shooting I would think. It does depend on your neighbors a bit though. Anything up in the black forest or the foothills with any kind of acreage would work (I would assume).

ColoradoFlyer

imported post

God, with so many great places to choose from where does one start. The Front Range which is a large area from Monument to Ft. Collins, encompasses much of the Denver Metro Area and great places to live and work. Would avoid City/County of Denver and you can read more about that here in various posts. As a whole Colorado is very friendly to OC. Texas on the other hand it is off limits, but a saturday education class and an hour at the range and you can have a CCP for Texas. I found Texas way to hot and in the summer you have to be creative to properly conceal your weapon.

Colorado Springs and Peublo offer some great opportunities as well, and lets not forget the high Country, Beuna Vista, Alamosa, Pagosa Springs, Montrose, Gunnison and many of the other places offer unique opportunities for work and play and all are OC friendly. Now the bad news... I hear we are closing our boarders to foreigners ie.. anyone from out of state... Just kidding but have thought about, seems people have figured out that Colorado is really pretty good, the weather is not as bad as Michigan and we have all the outdoor activities one could imagine...Best of luck in your search....

Yooper

imported post

East of the rockies = tornado's, In the rockies = horrible traffic from the city dwellers, west of the rockies (Delta, G.J., Montrose) = desert.

Houses in Colorado are very expensive, so is land. Water is worth more than gold, there are very few places to boat and swim, and of those, they're all packed, and at times have lines over a mile long of people waiting to get in (Chatfield comes to mind). They do have one thing we don't have though, toll roads.