Thread: ABC 27 News - Madison police OK with open carriers walking down State Street

Post imported post

Madison TV station WKOW Channel 27 had a followup story on last month's stroll around downtown Madison:

Video story:
    http://www.wkowtv.com/global/video/f...p;rnd=62685848

Link to text story:

http://www.wkowtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=12280761- also click on video link

SNIP

Police stand down to gun-toters on Madison's State Street
    Posted:

wnRenderDate('Thursday, April 8, 2010 7:43 PM EST', '', true);

Apr 08, 2010 7:43 PM EDT [/i]

SNIP

John Pierce of the Virginia-based, gun rights advocacy group OpenCarry.org said the people who openly carried firearms Mar. 28 are affiliated with his group and are board members of Wisconsin Carry Inc.

Pierce said group members were holding a meeting in Madison that day.

Last summer, police officers ticketed UW-Madison student Travis Yates for disorderly conduct after Yates was spotted openly carrying a gun on and around State Street. In an interview with 27 News, Yates protested the citation.

Pierce said the group with guns openly displayed wanted to acknowledge Yates' predicament.

"It was symbolic for them to finish his walk on State Street."

A city official said Yates' case was dismissed Feb. 17 at the request of Madison's city attorney.

. . .

A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Peoples' Republic of Madison, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Sounds like pretty fair press to me!

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

Brendon .45 wrote:
    Sounds like pretty fair press to me!
    What do you think of the banter between the anchors after the video? i thought it was almost pro-open carry!!

Post imported post

They seem surprised that a few armed people could actually meet and not cause a disturbance or invoke a shoot out.

Now I really, really wish I would have hung around and meet you guys there .

Founder's Club Member bnhcomputing's Avatar

Post imported post

Given this didn't even make the news until now, how the heck did they "find" individuals who saw us. They MUST be referring to the business owners.

Post imported post

very cool guys, i want to be on TV. haha. I can see people seeing this story and coming to the site, then carrying themselves.
    +1
    I like GUNS

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Good media report.

Positive advertisement and free too!

It doesn't get much better.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

And, thus endeth the Battle of State Street.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    Would the outcome have been the same if everybody had been CCing? :P

IMHO - 10 -12 OCers did more to advance the cause that day, than 500 that only CCd elsewhere.

Yata hey

You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Ironic, but we owe the coffee shop owner a debt of gratitude. If she hadn't made her inquiry with the police there wouldn't have been any publicity for our walk around downtown Madison outside of the OC brethren.
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

McX

Post imported post

they're ok with oc in madison? fancy that now! so am i, at last something i can agree with the powers that be on.

side note; i got a friend who lives in madison, he told me he's seen 2 oc-ers while out and about, so you guys are getting noticed.:celebrate

Banned

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    Mike wrote:

IMHO - 10 -12 OCers did more to advance the cause that day, than 500 that only CCd elsewhere.

Yata hey

Yah it was a pretty cool experience. My GF and I were the ones that went into Trader Joe's and Whole Foods without incident and only a bit of curiosity. Our checkout boy at Trader Joe's had recently been discharged from the AF and bought himself a 9mm and was of course exited about carrying it.

We stopped at a little sandwich shop as well on State Street apart from the other OCers and had lunch without incident as well.

We answered questions and handed out pamphlets to a few curious individuals so all in all it was a win for us all.

Post imported post

This was interesting. Funny that it made the news two weeks later???? Nothing like seeing your own mug on tv...

Post imported post

More power to you all. This is what we are about today. Hopefully the day will come when an open carrier will not be the lead story on the 6 O'clock Snooz.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid. Han Solo

http://buffaloholstercompany.blogspot.com/ Concealment holsters IWB, SOB, and belt slide. Open Carry too. New from Buffalo Holster, Women's holsters for concealment and or belt carry.

Post imported post

"A man openly carry a weapon MARCHED into a grocery store" Sounds bias to me, but thats nothing new in the press. At least overall it sounded more informative than accusatory.

Post imported post

TheHossUSMC wrote:
    "A man openly carry a weapon MARCHED into a grocery store" Sounds bias to me, but thats nothing new in the press. At least overall it sounded more informative than accusatory.
    EXACTLY!

That's why John and I have long suggested not using such military or otherwise martial type terms like "protests" for our get togethers!

It sends the wrong signal - like we are promoting insurrection, or are in a position of weakness and must fight.

Use nice simple descriptive terms like: Walk, meeting, picnic, etc.

Post imported post

The outcome would have been mass arrest if everybody had been CCing - since it is generally illegal in Wisconsin. How did the people who went to Trader Joe's evade the school zone restriction?

Spartacus wrote:
    Grapeshot wrote:
    Mike wrote:

Yata hey

Yah it was a pretty cool experience. My GF and I were the ones that went into Trader Joe's and Whole Foods without incident and only a bit of curiosity. Our checkout boy at Trader Joe's had recently been discharged from the AF and bought himself a 9mm and was of course exited about carrying it.

We stopped at a little sandwich shop as well on State Street apart from the other OCers and had lunch without incident as well.

We answered questions and handed out pamphlets to a few curious individuals so all in all it was a win for us all.

Founder's Club Member bnhcomputing's Avatar

Post imported post

apjonas wrote:
    How did the people who went to Trader Joe's evade the school zone restriction
    Excuse me???

What school zone restriction, we were on State Street. Is there a Grade 1 - Grade 12 public/private school there that I was unaware of?

Post imported post

There could be but I suggest you reread the thread including watching the linked video and reading the linked story. If after doing so, you still do not understand my question, I will explain it. But you must read and watch first! Hint: I don't think there is a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods on State Street.

bnhcomputing wrote:
    apjonas wrote:
    How did the people who went to Trader Joe's evade the school zone restriction
    Excuse me???

What school zone restriction, we were on State Street. Is there a Grade 1 - Grade 12 public/private school there that I was unaware of?

Post imported post

I have no idea about any school in the area, I was never able to find any...

About all I can add is that I am getting mad that I have yet to get on the news standing next to Frank. I think I should make it my new goal, cuzz it's starting to look like I am the only one left out...