• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ABC 27 News - Madison police OK with open carriers walking down State Street

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Madison TV station WKOW Channel 27 had a followup story on last month's stroll around downtown Madison:

Video story:
http://www.wkowtv.com/global/video/flash/popupplayer.asp?ClipID1=4688599&h1=Open%20carry%20laws&vt1=v&at1=News&d1=130533&LaunchPageAdTag=News&activePane=info&rnd=62685848

Link to text story:

http://www.wkowtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=12280761- also click on video link

SNIP

Police stand down to gun-toters on Madison's State Street
Posted:

wnRenderDate('Thursday, April 8, 2010 7:43 PM EST', '', true);

Apr 08, 2010 7:43 PM EDT [/i]

SNIP

John Pierce of the Virginia-based, gun rights advocacy group OpenCarry.org said the people who openly carried firearms Mar. 28 are affiliated with his group and are board members of Wisconsin Carry Inc.

Pierce said group members were holding a meeting in Madison that day.

Last summer, police officers ticketed UW-Madison student Travis Yates for disorderly conduct after Yates was spotted openly carrying a gun on and around State Street. In an interview with 27 News, Yates protested the citation.

Pierce said the group with guns openly displayed wanted to acknowledge Yates' predicament.

"It was symbolic for them to finish his walk on State Street."

A city official said Yates' case was dismissed Feb. 17 at the request of Madison's city attorney.

. . .

Jason in WI

imported post

They seem surprised that a few armed people could actually meet and not cause a disturbance or invoke a shoot out.

Now I really, really wish I would have hung around and meet you guys there :cry:.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Given this didn't even make the news until now, how the heck did they "find" individuals who saw us. They MUST be referring to the business owners.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Good media report.

Positive advertisement and free too!

It doesn't get much better.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Mike wrote:
And, thus endeth the Battle of State Street.:cool:
Would the outcome have been the same if everybody had been CCing? :p

IMHO - 10 -12 OCers did more to advance the cause that day, than 500 that only CCd elsewhere.

Yata hey

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Ironic, but we owe the coffee shop owner a debt of gratitude. If she hadn't made her inquiry with the police there wouldn't have been any publicity for our walk around downtown Madison outside of the OC brethren.

M

McX

imported post

they're ok with oc in madison? fancy that now! so am i, at last something i can agree with the powers that be on.

side note; i got a friend who lives in madison, he told me he's seen 2 oc-ers while out and about, so you guys are getting noticed.:celebrate

Spartacus

Banned
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Mike wrote:

IMHO - 10 -12 OCers did more to advance the cause that day, than 500 that only CCd elsewhere.

Yata hey
Yah it was a pretty cool experience. My GF and I were the ones that went into Trader Joe's and Whole Foods without incident and only a bit of curiosity. Our checkout boy at Trader Joe's had recently been discharged from the AF and bought himself a 9mm and was of course exited about carrying it.

We stopped at a little sandwich shop as well on State Street apart from the other OCers and had lunch without incident as well.

We answered questions and handed out pamphlets to a few curious individuals so all in all it was a win for us all.

hardballer

imported post

More power to you all. This is what we are about today. Hopefully the day will come when an open carrier will not be the lead story on the 6 O'clock Snooz.

TheHossUSMC

imported post

"A man openly carry a weapon MARCHED into a grocery store" Sounds bias to me, but thats nothing new in the press. At least overall it sounded more informative than accusatory.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

TheHossUSMC wrote:
"A man openly carry a weapon MARCHED into a grocery store" Sounds bias to me, but thats nothing new in the press. At least overall it sounded more informative than accusatory.
EXACTLY!

That's why John and I have long suggested not using such military or otherwise martial type terms like "protests" for our get togethers!

It sends the wrong signal - like we are promoting insurrection, or are in a position of weakness and must fight.

Use nice simple descriptive terms like: Walk, meeting, picnic, etc.

apjonas

imported post

The outcome would have been mass arrest if everybody had been CCing - since it is generally illegal in Wisconsin. How did the people who went to Trader Joe's evade the school zone restriction?

Spartacus wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Mike wrote:

Yata hey
Yah it was a pretty cool experience. My GF and I were the ones that went into Trader Joe's and Whole Foods without incident and only a bit of curiosity. Our checkout boy at Trader Joe's had recently been discharged from the AF and bought himself a 9mm and was of course exited about carrying it.

We stopped at a little sandwich shop as well on State Street apart from the other OCers and had lunch without incident as well.

We answered questions and handed out pamphlets to a few curious individuals so all in all it was a win for us all.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

apjonas wrote:
How did the people who went to Trader Joe's evade the school zone restriction
Excuse me???

What school zone restriction, we were on State Street. Is there a Grade 1 - Grade 12 public/private school there that I was unaware of?

apjonas

imported post

There could be but I suggest you reread the thread including watching the linked video and reading the linked story. If after doing so, you still do not understand my question, I will explain it. But you must read and watch first! Hint: I don't think there is a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods on State Street.

bnhcomputing wrote:
apjonas wrote:
How did the people who went to Trader Joe's evade the school zone restriction
Excuse me???

What school zone restriction, we were on State Street. Is there a Grade 1 - Grade 12 public/private school there that I was unaware of?

AaronS

imported post

I have no idea about any school in the area, I was never able to find any...

About all I can add is that I am getting mad that I have yet to get on the news standing next to Frank. I think I should make it my new goal, cuzz it's starting to look like I am the only one left out...;)