• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Drew on an "intruder" at my buddy's farm

Mr.FiredUp

imported post

I DID NOT POST THIS!!!

I gave someone a key to my shop who I thought I could trust. He has done things for me (take in packages etc.) when I wasn't around. I have taken his key and informed him that he can no longer use my computer. Apparently he had done some "pre-gaming" before he went out last night and thought it would be "funny" to post a scenario on here as I left this open in a tab. He said he didn't know it would show up under my profile. He said he's used other forums before and thought you had to sign your name when it posted or it would just go in as "anonymous". Needless to say I made sure he knew how upset I was.

I would like to apologize to the owners, moderators, and members of the ocdo community. I grew up in the country and had to get many an animal out of a shed. We would always open the door and run. Every animal ever in the shed would run out and run away. I've never had to draw on any animal caught in my shed as they are always more afraid of us then we are of them.

Once again, I apologize to the entire ocdo community and hope that this will not bring any negative perspective to myself or ocdo. I assure you something like this will not happen again. I will make sure I log out every time I leave the computer. Thank you for reading this.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Not to criticize the guys on the ground, but I can't quite figure why one would blast a vulture. I know they are really ugly and have a revolting diet, but I didn't know they were particularly dangerous.

Is there some danger of which I was unaware?

Mr.FiredUp

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Not to criticize the guys on the ground, but I can't quite figure why one would blast a vulture. I know they are really ugly and have a revolting diet, but I didn't know they were particularly dangerous.

*removed due to explanation in original post*

Carnivore

imported post

Those birds are a protected species in every state in the United States, I wouldn't do too much bragging if I were you .

They are also harmless other than a little barf when flying overhead, that was a stupid shoot !

Aaron1124

imported post

Carnivore wrote:
Those birds are a protected species in every state in the United States, I wouldn't do too much bragging if I were you .

They are also harmless other than a little barf when flying overhead, that was a stupid shoot !
I seriously doubt confessing to this type of crime on the internet is going to result to being criminally charged.

I've been on many forums, and have seem saying in jest that they just murdered a man. You can't really take much said on the internet with more than a grain of salt, unless there's evidence in the real world that actually relates to what was said, or you're talking about preparing a major crime, such as a robbery, rape, murder, bomb threat, etc etc.

I guarantee anyone can come on here and say they just sold their neighbor a pound of marijuana and cocaine, or that they just got away with CCing on U.S. Property, or even that they "rear ended" someone in the parking lot and drove away, and not jack will happen.

XD40coyote

imported post

I know about vultures and theyare generally laid back. It was probably hissing due to being cornered and confused. I'd have backed up and left the door open to let it leave. The hissing IS a little weird though. I've caught vultures in traps before by accident and when I'd let them go they played dead like possums. No aggression at all, no vulture puke. Maybe there was a baby vulture around somewhere nearby?

Yes, they are federally protected, like eagles, hawks, and owls. You 2 would have been in somedoodoo had a game cop seen that.

I like vultures, they clean my dead animal messes up LOL. Same goes for possums. I don't like possums in my traps though.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Everything that has ever been said by the forum owners is that OCDO does not condone breaking any laws, whether firearms related or not.

There are many situations that have been posted throughout this forum where internet postings have been used against the poster. Why do you think that attorneys advise their clients to STFU?

I cannot and do not accept lightly such references as I read here . We are law abiding citizens and expect others here to be also. End of story.

Yata hey

okboomer

imported post

The buddy was protected by law when he shot an animal on his own property.

Here in my state, you would not have been protected by the same law.

However, IMO, that was a bad shoot and you need to examine the reasons you shot ... fear and ignorance of the animalseemed to be short-circuiting your logical thinking. You can lessen fear with research and knowledge.

I would imagine you and your buddy are less than 30 years old and don't have a whole lot of experience to draw upon. Most wild animals are going to use a theat mechanism in their effort to escape, and if you simply get out of the way, they will leave on their own. This is not meant to downplay the danger of predators and larger prey species.

And as for whether or not you can be charged after the fact because you posted on the internet ... well, maybe this will give you pause http://www.okshooters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69986&highlight=British+Petroleum+Buck&page=4

Packer fan

imported post

Agree with many of the above posts.

Don't shoot an animal unless you are going to eat it or use it in some sort of way or it is causingor about to cause damage.The only exception to the rule is cats; shoot cats anytime.:lol:

Cornered animals do get scared and they make scary sounds to frighten you so you will just leave them alone.

Looks to me someone wanted a chance to use their guns and brag about it. IMHOP

TehGruu

imported post

Mr.FiredUp wrote:
Citizen wrote:

When something that big and ugly starts moving towards you "hissing" I think you'd probably pull the trigger too...

LMAO! I feel ya man!

-Gruu

ak56

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Packer fan wrote:
Agree with many of the above posts.

Don't shoot an animal unless you are going to eat it or use it in some sort of way or it is causingor about to cause damage.The only exception to the rule is cats; shoot cats anytime.:lol:

Cornered animals do get scared and they make scary sounds to frighten you so you will just leave them alone.

Looks to me someone wanted a chance to use their guns and brag about it. IMHOP
I'd bein a lot of pain if I shot my cats right now, especially considering over which part of my anatomy one is laying at the moment.:shock:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Mr.FiredUp wrote:
I DID NOT POST THIS!!!

I gave someone a key to my shop who I thought I could trust. He has done things for me (take in packages etc.) when I wasn't around. I have taken his key and informed him that he can no longer use my computer. Apparently he had done some "pre-gaming" before he went out last night and thought it would be "funny" to post a scenario on here as I left this open in a tab. He said he didn't know it would show up under my profile. He said he's used other forums before and thought you had to sign your name when it posted or it would just go in as "anonymous". Needless to say I made sure he knew how upset I was.

I would like to apologize to the owners, moderators, and members of the ocdo community. I grew up in the country and had to get many an animal out of a shed. We would always open the door and run. Every animal ever in the shed would run out and run away. I've never had to draw on any animal caught in my shed as they are always more afraid of us then we are of them.

Once again, I apologize to the entire ocdo community and hope that this will not bring any negative perspective to myself or ocdo. I assure you something like this will not happen again. I will make sure I log out every time I leave the computer. Thank you for reading this.
Just moving this to bottom so as to be easier to find.

I'll accept that. Always best to keep things secure.

Yata hey

PT111

imported post

This thread reminds me of the fellow that was able to talk his way out of killing and eating a Spotted Owl due to ignorance of it being a protected species. The judge asked, by the way how did it taste? The fellow said, very similar to a Bald Eagle or Ivory Billed Woodpecker.

okboomer

imported post

Mr.FiredUp wrote:
I did not start this post. Please see edited original post.
Glad to hear that ... too bad your trust was so abused. Hope your response causes lamebrain to consider how his actions reflect upon himself. And what it has cost him.

Mr.FiredUp

imported post

okboomer wrote:
Mr.FiredUp wrote:
I did not start this post. Please see edited original post.
Glad to hear that ... too bad your trust was so abused. Hope your response causes lamebrain to consider how his actions reflect upon himself. And what it has cost him.

Thank you for being kind. I explained to him that what he did would not just effect me and all my posts here, but the open carry movement and gun owners in general. These are not things that I take lightly. There is a reason I have chosen to fight for this cause and I (and the rest of us) can not afford for some short sighted person making stupid statements or posts. We walk on a thin line as it is in this society. I'm just sorry that it was through my account that a dumb post was made. Again, it was my fault for not logging out. I hope everyone will be understanding.

Carnivore

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
Carnivore wrote:

I seriously doubt confessing to this type of crime on the internet is going to result to being criminally charged.

I've been on many forums, and have seem saying in jest that they just murdered a man. You can't really take much said on the internet with more than a grain of salt, unless there's evidence in the real world that actually relates to what was said, or you're talking about preparing a major crime, such as a robbery, rape, murder, bomb threat, etc etc.

I guarantee anyone can come on here and say they just sold their neighbor a pound of marijuana and cocaine, or that they just got away with CCing on U.S. Property, or even that they "rear ended" someone in the parking lot and drove away, and not jack will happen.

And if I remember correctly, you're the member studying to be a cop someday? and the same member that totes in Tacticool fashion some 4,5, or 6 items for your own self defense. This is the World Wide Web and if someone is willing to do their homework, Johnny law can be on your front porch within the hour..

If Ignorance is Bliss, you must be one Happy S.O.B.