Thread: Open Carry With Concealing Original Military Holsters: Legal in Wyoming

Post imported post

Would the open carry of a pistol, such as a CZ-82, in it's original holster be legal? I want to make sure it is not considered concealed. Please see attached picture. Thanks!

Post imported post

Here is a picture of the gun in the holster. Thanks!

Post imported post

I would say that is concealed.

WY law isn't specific about the definition of concealed and I haven't found any relevant case law. So I would say you have to be guided by common sense. No part of the handgun is visible in that holster with the flap down. Although I might know that your wearing a holster, a normal casual observer might not. Which I believe is the general test for concealment. Can a normal person tell that you are carrying a gun?

Post imported post

In North Carolina it is legal so long as the holster is obviously a holster. If it's altered to look like, say a fanny pack, then it is concealed. If one had a 1858 Remington in a reproduction military holster with the flap common to that pistol then it would be legal. Just because some ignorant indivudual isn't educated enough to know it is a holster shouldn't make it illegal.

Post imported post

Rugerp345 wrote:
    Just because some ignorant indivudual isn't educated enough to know it is a holster shouldn't make it illegal.
    Agreed. Problem is that an ignorant cop might just want to press the issue. That CZ holster is pretty ambiguous. An 1858 Remington holster is very obviously a holster.

OP probably wouldn't have an issue with it Most places the LEOs wouldn't care... open, concealed, whatever. There have been a number of reports of over zealous cops in some places though. I wouldn't want to risk it with out a concealed permit.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

The Count wrote:
    Rugerp345 wrote:
    Just because some ignorant indivudual isn't educated enough to know it is a holster shouldn't make it illegal.
    Agreed. Problem is that an ignorant cop might just want to press the issue. That CZ holster is pretty ambiguous. An 1858 Remington holster is very obviously a holster.

OP probably wouldn't have an issue with it Most places the LEOs wouldn't care... open, concealed, whatever. There have been a number of reports of over zealous cops in some places though. I wouldn't want to risk it with out a concealed permit.
    While I don't question the exact definition of whether this is a holster or not, I wonder about the intent though. Is it a question of whether it is technically legal or one of pushing the issue?

As a practical matter, any defensive benefit of OCing is lost with this holster because neither will such be recognized by the average BG nor will rapid deployment be possible and no education of the public is gained.

My suggestion would be to acquire a more traditional holster that solves these problems as well as deleting the one of perception. ymmv

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.