• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry With Concealing Original Military Holsters: Legal in Wyoming

texasrifleman

imported post

Would the open carry of a pistol, such as a CZ-82, in it's original holster be legal? I want to make sure it is not considered concealed. Please see attached picture. Thanks!

apwhite

imported post

I would say that is concealed.

WY law isn't specific about the definition of concealed and I haven't found any relevant case law. So I would say you have to be guided by common sense. No part of the handgun is visible in that holster with the flap down. Although I might know that your wearing a holster, a normal casual observer might not. Which I believe is the general test for concealment. Can a normal person tell that you are carrying a gun?

Rugerp345

imported post

In North Carolina it is legal so long as the holster is obviously a holster. If it's altered to look like, say a fanny pack, then it is concealed. If one had a 1858 Remington in a reproduction military holster with the flap common to that pistol then it would be legal. Just because some ignorant indivudual isn't educated enough to know it is a holster shouldn't make it illegal.

apwhite

imported post

Rugerp345 wrote:
Just because some ignorant indivudual isn't educated enough to know it is a holster shouldn't make it illegal.
Agreed. Problem is that an ignorant cop might just want to press the issue. That CZ holster is pretty ambiguous. An 1858 Remington holster is very obviously a holster.

OP probably wouldn't have an issue with it Most places the LEOs wouldn't care... open, concealed, whatever. There have been a number of reports of over zealous cops in some places though. I wouldn't want to risk it with out a concealed permit.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

The Count wrote:
Rugerp345 wrote:
Just because some ignorant indivudual isn't educated enough to know it is a holster shouldn't make it illegal.
Agreed. Problem is that an ignorant cop might just want to press the issue. That CZ holster is pretty ambiguous. An 1858 Remington holster is very obviously a holster.

OP probably wouldn't have an issue with it Most places the LEOs wouldn't care... open, concealed, whatever. There have been a number of reports of over zealous cops in some places though. I wouldn't want to risk it with out a concealed permit.
While I don't question the exact definition of whether this is a holster or not, I wonder about the intent though. Is it a question of whether it is technically legal or one of pushing the issue?

As a practical matter, any defensive benefit of OCing is lost with this holster because neither will such be recognized by the average BG nor will rapid deployment be possible and no education of the public is gained.

My suggestion would be to acquire a more traditional holster that solves these problems as well as deleting the one of perception. ymmv

Yata hey