Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Off Topic Loud radio laws?

Banned

Post imported post

This one is off topic, but I dont know where to go for an answer, and alot of us are pretty sharp with the law, so here goes.

I live in a trailer park, and I have this guy who will come and go several times a day even at 2 or 3 in the morning, and he shakes the whole neighborhood with his car stereo. I have given him several written requests to keep it down, I have asked the trailer park management a couple times to intervene, and I have had the police to their house twice this month.

Does anybody know a law that I could print out and show the officers so that I can persue criminal charges on this guy?

I tried looking up somethng here, and got nowhere. http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(4wr...aspx?page=Home

Post imported post

Is there a noise ordinance in your community? If not there is very little the police can do.

Sometimes they will try disturbing the peace if they get multiple complaints.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Regular Member American Boy With a Gun's Avatar

Post imported post

i would see if other people eel the same, if so you can get em' for disturbing the peace, or try to get a petition type thing going for your park to pass a noise ordinance
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." -- Samuel Adams, 1776

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject

Banned

Post imported post

Where could I find such an ordinance? And I couldnt find disturbing the peace in the above link, where could I find that?

I carry partly to prevent crime, but Ill admit, If I see someone trying to steal this guys radio, Im going to be looking the other way.

Post imported post

Noise ordinances are generally in the General Ordinance section of a community's ordinances.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Banned

Post imported post

Thanks auto, Im going to go see about this.

How come they can enforce so many unconstitutional laws, but when it comes to some young punk p.o.s. the cops are so helpless?

The trailer park does have such a rule, but they only give a write up, and nothing further. All bark, and no bite. All the manager does here, is collect the rent.

Post imported post

If you are in a city or township that is where such an ordinance would be !

Post imported post

A lot of local ordinances are written along the lines of ".....can be heard from the public way." This means if the officer pulls up in his cruiser and rolls down his window and he can hear the music it would be in violation.

Have you ever offered to be seen by the officers? Just a suggestion, but if you make it specifically known that you would like to voice your complaint to the officers in person you might be able to get them to take further action or at least get an explination as to why they can't. Furtermore, just keep calling if you are positive they are in violation of a city ordinance. Unfortunately, the police can not enforce the civil contract between your neighbors and the trailer park.

Banned

Post imported post

Its springfeild township. We use OCSD.

I have not asked to see the officers for this person, although I have had issues in the past with others, and have spoken to them in the past.

I am aware that the officers will drive by a house, and stop if they hear a loud radio, but this problem is from the guys car. I would be hard pressed to get an officer to sit there all day waiting for them to drive home.

You know those cars BOOM BOOM BOOM BUZZZZBUZZZZ BUZZZZ. friggin idiots.

Ive got 3000+ watts in my camaro too, but when I enter my neighborhood (or yours) I turn it down.

Post imported post

instead of writing the guy a letter have you tried just going to his traile and saying hey dude, I respect your love of stereos, but could you have the sane respect I have for your stereo for our mobile community?

Banned

Post imported post

I doubt thats going to work. They know full well what they are doing, and that I dont want to hear it. Ive contacted them twice, the park manager has contacted them twice, and so have the County Sherriffs. These people dont care about anyone but themselves.

If I can, I will see them put in jail.

Post imported post

meh, the kind of responses you get from people usually determines the results you get, if you leave a couple notes in someones mailbox and contact the neighborhood association, I'm sure they'd see it as a hostile action, and press their agenda back just as hard; instead of politely and manly approching them in person, and talking to them like a man with respect for another man.

this seeks like a choose your battle situation, I've got some neighbors who go crazy when kids drive through our town with their stereos on, I just smile as I have never been the type to complain about evey little thing, I'd rather fight bigger battles like getting te hundreds of thousands of wrongfully incarcerated prople out of prison, or fighting this new healthcare battle. to each his own I guess, good luck in your fight against the car stereo. I fully understand the 15 seconds of noise you hear.

Banned

Post imported post

Its an issue of thoughtlessness and disrespect, more that 15 seconds of noise.

Last week, one of them puled in the driveway, looked right at me, turned the radio up for 5 seconds, then shut the car off and went into the house.

Its on.

Post imported post

the same thoughtlessness and disrespect you showed him by sending a letter to him, and calling park management on him?

sounds like it's gonna he a regular hatfeild and McCoy show down over there.

sounds like your both being agressive, and should talk it out like men. just my two cents, good luck bud.

Post imported post

Jerry! Jerry! :celebrate

Post imported post

kyleplusitunes wrote:
    meh, the kind of responses you get from people usually determines the results you get,....
    my thoughts exactly! my neighbor bitched at a couple friends for running my quad down the driveway last summer about 8pm, because his kids had just went to bed and they had school in the morning. after he yelled at them, he threatened to call the cops if it didn't stop in half an hour.

now, since was not a normal thing. its usually very quiet around here. i just go about my business, coming home, leaving home, coming home, leaving home. So there is rarely any noise here.

since then, i have decided that i do not care about anything he says... plus we have no noise ordinance. so... f' him!

so... kyle is right...
    treat people how you expect to be treated.

Banned

Post imported post

kyleplusitunes wrote:
    the same thoughtlessness and disrespect you showed him by sending a letter to him, and calling park management on him?
    oh, you mean, disrespect by not calling the cops first? Maybe your right, next time Ill do that.

The guy on the other side was being loud, so I did the same, asked him in a letter to keep it down, he came over, apologised, and told me to call the cops on him. I told him I diddnt want to be like that, so he gave me his phone number, and told me to let him know if he was getting loud. (they drink) We wound up talking, and found out we went to school together, now we get along fine.

I doubt jerry springer would have made an apperance had I not mensioned the words "trailer park"

Banned

Post imported post

Whats so wrong with a letter anyhow? Its non confrontational, there is zero chance of an argument, nothing you say can be turned in to something you diddnt say, You wont intimidate. And what could be safer than approaching a house full of hi-ons and drunken rowdy strangers in the middle of the night to complain about what they are doing?

Post imported post

We had new neighbors move in a last year. At first they were quite loud.. even late at night we could easily hear the "ba dum de dum" of the music in their house... inside our house.

We didn't say anything to them about the music... just started saying "Hi" with a friendly smile when they were outside... gave them a left over toy for their small child to play with once...

And then the volume of the music decreased and now there isn't a problem.

Edited to remove my smart arsed comment because I realized that my smart arsed comment could easily be misunderstood as not being just a smart arsed comment.....
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Post imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
    Whats so wrong with a letter anyhow? Its non confrontational, there is zero chance of an argument, nothing you say can be turned in to something you diddnt say, You wont intimidate. And what could be safer than approaching a house full of hi-ons and drunken rowdy strangers in the middle of the night to complain about what they are doing?
    As long as it's polite, there's nothing wrong with a letter. They problem you have though, since it's only when he's in his vehicle, by the time police show up, he's either gone, or his car is parked and turned off. Your only alternative that I see is a video with sound of what's going on. That, or an unmarked police car waiting for the guy to show up. But I seriously doubt you'll get the later.

You could just keep turning him in, make sure you have his license plate number, and tell the local LEO's every time. It might take a while, but they're likely to get tired of it and do something, sooner to later. But I think I'd try to get something on video, myself.

DISCLAIMER: The above is only a suggestion, and not legal advice. I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on stage, screen or Television. And I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night, either.
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

Post imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
    thats what the world wants us to be. sheeple! non confrontational! just do as we're told, not argue, not speak up.

If i have a problem with my neighbor, friend(s), etc... i'll go to them and talk to them about it. i wont go yell at them or anything, but introduce myself, etc.. and then state the facts. If they dont like it... and if they want to get nasty about it... then fine.

But I believe in the good old fashioned hand shake, talk, work things out.

Lets not be like the sheep.

Post imported post

I haven't logged onto here for quite some time due to personal technical issues, and can't say that I'm happy to find this level of discussion here. Let me preface by saying that I am "that guy". The one that has dual 12" subwoofers in my trunk that are connected to an amplifier. I can, and have, shaken neighborhoods.

However, I do not do it at 2 am, that's just rude. Think on that for a minute, its "just rude." Its not very considerate of the feelings of others.

In my eyes, that made your letter, and your appeal to the manager (since they are doing this on private property he is a steward to), justified. When they continued to play the music at elevated levels during all hours (something I am unlikely to do, since I am more considerate than that) they showed you disrespect.

Being rude and disrespectful is not illegal though, so, in my eyes, contacting the police to enforce your personal views was uncalled for, and the results of those calls are exactly as they should be. There was no real crime here. No malicious intent todamage or deprive you of health, life, or property. The police were drawn away from more worthy pursuits, such ashammering down on that damnable OC crowd... who do they think they are anyway? Why goodness gracious, there ought to be a law against openly displaying firearms in public ! Its "just rude" they force us to see those scary things. "That guy" from last weekmade me uncomfortable... at least he listened to the manager I complained to at Private Mart and left when he was asked to.

But I digress.

In getting back on topic... Wait, I'm sorry... I just realized... Could it be they're both the same thing? Each case shows an example of the "nanny state" conditioning and high brow Gestapo tacticsresponsible for so much that is wrong in our society today. "Since Ididn't get the resultsI wanted, and I am offended, I am going to make that which offends me illegal... ...and I am going to make the offender pay!

Please understand sir, that while my message is harsh, I have noill will toward you, butI say all of this to make an appeal.Please Please PLEASE consider the full implications of your actions.

Now, in the spirit of teamwork, may I suggest an alternative course of action?

As I said I am "that guy". I enjoy having a heavy bass beat massaging my scalp asI drive. Were I to be accosted by the police for this, I too would be resentful. Here is what I know would appease me, and may provide you with some relief:

1. Go, in person, to your neighbors and apologize for mishandling what should have been a minor dispute.

2. Appeal to their sense of decency on why the music disturbs you at late hours i.e. "I have to get up at _a.m. forwork, and when the music wakes me I have trouble falling back to sleep, which is making it hard for me to get moving when I need to."

3. Suggest a compromise: "I'll quit complaining about the daytime noise since you obviously enjoy it, but would it be possible to..."

4. Thank them if they agree. If they tell you to <graphically stimulate> yourself, keep cool, thank them anyway for simply listening, and give it two weeks. They may think on what you said and tone it down on their own anyway.

5. If, at the end of two weeks there is still a problem (and one you feel worth fighting over), contact the community owner, not the manager, and complain that the manager is ignoring his stweardship, and with itthe reasonable expectation you have of a peaceful community. Give it another two weeks to see if any changes are effected. If not, do what I did to my loud neighbors...

... Visibly clean, load, and OC your pistol as you stare back at them.

*Edited for spelling, grammar, and inflammatory content.

Post imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
    Stainless, if you have the coordinates his location, maybe you can get Hutaree to send a SCUD or something over that way.

Post imported post

Oh yeah! Busting out the Hutaree reset!

It's not too soon, is it?

Post imported post

I know this wont help much in MI and is still OT, but I wanted to share my story. It may give insight to the "car stereo punk" state of mind.

I built my stereo/show contest car from a 1996 king cab Nissan. The speaker box had to be cut and built into the king cab portion of the vehicle, it was giant. It used 1400 watts to power 6 rear speakers and 200 watts to 4 front door speakers. Custom paint job, custom seats, custom dashboard (for the 6 disk CD player and head unit), custom tailgate, custom carpet, everything was pristine by the end... It took over 2 years to "finalize" it. I was very proud of my work and the crisp sound, not just the bang-bang of the woofers. I often drove around central Florida and south Louisiana with windows down, stereo up, going to the beach or to a contest. Looking back now, I don't know how I'm not completely deaf.

When I was living in Orlando in 1998, I got 6 tickets in about 6 months related to my stereo system. The first two times where for "stereo audible greater that 30ft from vehicle". It was a FL state statute as I recall and it cost me 50 bucks each time. The last time I got it bad with the law because it was the same officer as the first time, and he "threw the book" at me. He wrote me 4 tickets total, one distracted driving (because I wouldn't be able hear approaching EMS or police vehicles sirens over the music) , one for "can't see in or out windows" (because of the tint), and my 3rd ticket for ">30ft from vehicle", and the bad one was disturbing the peace (in Winter Gardens, FL). That set of tickets cost me about $600. The one for disturbing the peace could have had me in deep trouble, the office told me he could have arrested me and impounded the vehicle for it, but he didn't. I had to appear for the "disturbing the peace" charge but I caught a break because it was before 10pm when the citation occurred and there was no complaining witnesses, so the court dropped it. I was kinda proud of my custom car, and the tickets I got. I actually laminated the last ticket and kept it in my glove box a couple years, showing it to friends, at car shows, and at "crank-it" contests. The money I won at a stereo contest in Daytona that summer covered all the tickets, plus some upgrades.

I sold the entire vehicle, sound and all, before a crank-it contest in Metairie, La in 2000. The guys that bought it, put it in the contest that same day, it took first place in show and the $1000 prize (i took the $6500 sale instead), but he blew out both of the 15" JBL sub woofers at a cost of over $1500!!! Then he wanted to sell it back to me. I caught a ride back to Slidell that night, I never looked back, and never built a car like that again.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast