• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Off Topic Loud radio laws?

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

This one is off topic, but I dont know where to go for an answer, and alot of us are pretty sharp with the law, so here goes.

I live in a trailer park, and I have this guy who will come and go several times a day even at 2 or 3 in the morning, and he shakes the whole neighborhood with his car stereo. I have given him several written requests to keep it down, I have asked the trailer park management a couple times to intervene, and I have had the police to their house twice this month.

Does anybody know a law that I could print out and show the officers so that I can persue criminal charges on this guy?

I tried looking up somethng here, and got nowhere. http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(4wrinkz3dnl4rh55335szv55))/mileg.aspx?page=Home

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

Where could I find such an ordinance? And I couldnt find disturbing the peace in the above link, where could I find that?

:cuss:I carry partly to prevent crime, but Ill admit, If I see someone trying to steal this guys radio, Im going to be looking the other way.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

Thanks auto, Im going to go see about this.

How come they can enforce so many unconstitutional laws, but when it comes to some young punk p.o.s. the cops are so helpless?

The trailer park does have such a rule, but they only give a write up, and nothing further. All bark, and no bite. All the manager does here, is collect the rent.

sevenplusone

imported post

A lot of local ordinances are written along the lines of ".....can be heard from the public way." This means if the officer pulls up in his cruiser and rolls down his window and he can hear the music it would be in violation.

Have you ever offered to be seen by the officers? Just a suggestion, but if you make it specifically known that you would like to voice your complaint to the officers in person you might be able to get them to take further action or at least get an explination as to why they can't. Furtermore, just keep calling if you are positive they are in violation of a city ordinance. Unfortunately, the police can not enforce the civil contract between your neighbors and the trailer park.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

Its springfeild township. We use OCSD.

I have not asked to see the officers for this person, although I have had issues in the past with others, and have spoken to them in the past.

I am aware that the officers will drive by a house, and stop if they hear a loud radio, but this problem is from the guys car. I would be hard pressed to get an officer to sit there all day waiting for them to drive home.

You know those cars BOOM BOOM BOOM BUZZZZBUZZZZ BUZZZZ. friggin idiots.

Ive got 3000+ watts in my camaro too, but when I enter my neighborhood (or yours) I turn it down.

kyleplusitunes

imported post

instead of writing the guy a letter have you tried just going to his traile and saying hey dude, I respect your love of stereos, but could you have the sane respect I have for your stereo for our mobile community?

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

I doubt thats going to work. They know full well what they are doing, and that I dont want to hear it. Ive contacted them twice, the park manager has contacted them twice, and so have the County Sherriffs. These people dont care about anyone but themselves.

If I can, I will see them put in jail.

kyleplusitunes

imported post

meh, the kind of responses you get from people usually determines the results you get, if you leave a couple notes in someones mailbox and contact the neighborhood association, I'm sure they'd see it as a hostile action, and press their agenda back just as hard; instead of politely and manly approching them in person, and talking to them like a man with respect for another man.

this seeks like a choose your battle situation, I've got some neighbors who go crazy when kids drive through our town with their stereos on, I just smile as I have never been the type to complain about evey little thing, I'd rather fight bigger battles like getting te hundreds of thousands of wrongfully incarcerated prople out of prison, or fighting this new healthcare battle. to each his own I guess, good luck in your fight against the car stereo. I fully understand the 15 seconds of noise you hear.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

Its an issue of thoughtlessness and disrespect, more that 15 seconds of noise.

Last week, one of them puled in the driveway, looked right at me, turned the radio up for 5 seconds, then shut the car off and went into the house.

Its on.

kyleplusitunes

imported post

the same thoughtlessness and disrespect you showed him by sending a letter to him, and calling park management on him?

sounds like it's gonna he a regular hatfeild and McCoy show down over there.

sounds like your both being agressive, and should talk it out like men. just my two cents, good luck bud.

DetroitBiker

imported post

15na8gp.jpg
Jerry! Jerry! :celebrate

viperar15

imported post

kyleplusitunes wrote:
meh, the kind of responses you get from people usually determines the results you get,....
my thoughts exactly! my neighbor bitched at a couple friends for running my quad down the driveway last summer about 8pm, because his kids had just went to bed and they had school in the morning. after he yelled at them, he threatened to call the cops if it didn't stop in half an hour.

now, since was not a normal thing. its usually very quiet around here. i just go about my business, coming home, leaving home, coming home, leaving home. So there is rarely any noise here.

since then, i have decided that i do not care about anything he says... plus we have no noise ordinance. so... f' him!

so... kyle is right...
treat people how you expect to be treated.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

kyleplusitunes wrote:
the same thoughtlessness and disrespect you showed him by sending a letter to him, and calling park management on him?

oh, you mean, disrespect by not calling the cops first? Maybe your right, next time Ill do that.

The guy on the other side was being loud, so I did the same, asked him in a letter to keep it down, he came over, apologised, and told me to call the cops on him. I told him I diddnt want to be like that, so he gave me his phone number, and told me to let him know if he was getting loud. (they drink) We wound up talking, and found out we went to school together, now we get along fine.

I doubt jerry springer would have made an apperance had I not mensioned the words "trailer park"

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

Whats so wrong with a letter anyhow? Its non confrontational, there is zero chance of an argument, nothing you say can be turned in to something you diddnt say, You wont intimidate. And what could be safer than approaching a house full of hi-ons and drunken rowdy strangers in the middle of the night to complain about what they are doing?

B

Bikenut

imported post

We had new neighbors move in a last year. At first they were quite loud.. even late at night we could easily hear the "ba dum de dum" of the music in their house... inside our house.

We didn't say anything to them about the music... just started saying "Hi" with a friendly smile when they were outside... gave them a left over toy for their small child to play with once...

And then the volume of the music decreased and now there isn't a problem.

Edited to remove my smart arsed comment because I realized that my smart arsed comment could easily be misunderstood as not being just a smart arsed comment.....

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
Whats so wrong with a letter anyhow? Its non confrontational, there is zero chance of an argument, nothing you say can be turned in to something you diddnt say, You wont intimidate. And what could be safer than approaching a house full of hi-ons and drunken rowdy strangers in the middle of the night to complain about what they are doing?
As long as it's polite, there's nothing wrong with a letter. They problem you have though, since it's only when he's in his vehicle, by the time police show up, he's either gone, or his car is parked and turned off. Your only alternative that I see is a video with sound of what's going on. That, or an unmarked police car waiting for the guy to show up. But I seriously doubt you'll get the later.

You could just keep turning him in, make sure you have his license plate number, and tell the local LEO's every time. It might take a while, but they're likely to get tired of it and do something, sooner to later. But I think I'd try to get something on video, myself.

DISCLAIMER: The above is only a suggestion, and not legal advice. I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on stage, screen or Television. And I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night, either.