• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Free online CCW course for students/faculty/.edu emails

jwidman

imported post

Saw this on ar15.com:

If you're a student/faculty/employee at a school, have a .edu email address, and are in a state that allows an online course to satisfy your CCW class, this is for you.

The website says it's good for VA (residents and non residents) and also seems to indicate that it's good for WV. YMMV

http://www.onlineconcealedcarry.com/ Register with a .edu email address. Use discount code: 923726 and finish the course before April 10 11:59 PM EST

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

jwidman wrote:
Saw this on ar15.com:

If you're a student/faculty/employee at a school, have a .edu email address, and are in a state that allows an online course to satisfy your CCW class, this is for you.

The website says it's good for VA (residents and non residents) and also seems to indicate that it's good for WV. YMMV

http://www.onlineconcealedcarry.com/ Register with a .edu email address. Use discount code: 923726 and finish the course before April 10 11:59 PM EST

FREE is a good deal for sudents. I would sublit that it is also a marketing scheme for those without an .edu address.

Many are copying http://VirginiaCHPtraining.com that was the original (and is 39.99 instead of 49.99 like the one you listed)

One final note. Virginia Issues Concealed Handgun Permits. Not CCW like other states do.

:cool:

big_bake

imported post

Just have to say I took advantage of this. The course was extremely easy and took me no time at all. I'm glad to be a student and get this for free. The Hampton clerk had no problem with the certificate. Now I am 3 days into my 45 day wait on my CHP. Thanks to whoever got this setup. (SCCC possibly?)

hunter45

imported post

big_bake wrote:
Just have to say I took advantage of this. The course was extremely easy and took me no time at all. I'm glad to be a student and get this for free. The Hampton clerk had no problem with the certificate. Now I am 3 days into my 45 day wait on my CHP. Thanks to whoever got this setup. (SCCC possibly?)

Yes, SCCC did set it up. I took advantage of the offer as well. I am -372 days into my 45 day wait.

DJEEPER

imported post

I did mine that week!

im a college kid at ODU. I think it was a great idea to get college kids on the bandwagon for gun rights.

I just received a call from the court today about my CHP. apparently they smudged the address on my application or something and needed to clarify. Its going in the mail for me today :celebrate:celebrate

DJEEPER

imported post

correction, i just called to see if i could just pick it up and she said SURE!

off i go! :celebrate:celebrate

mpd8488

imported post

I took it myself and passed it on to a few other friends around the state. I Haven't applied for my chp yet, not sure if I'm going to anytime soon.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

DJEEPER wrote:
im a college kid at ODU. I think it was a great idea to get college kids on the bandwagon for gun rights.

I think its a nice idea too, but some kids need to be tossed onto the wagon as they dont seem to want to pull themselves on. We've offered a discount to SCCC members for probably well over a year now for our safety course and we have yet to have student #1 sign up and use the discount.

AbNo

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
I think its a nice idea too, but some kids need to be tossed onto the wagon as they dont seem to want to pull themselves on. We've offered a discount to SCCC members for probably well over a year now for our safety course and we have yet to have student #1 sign up and use the discount.
Well, as a college student (and employee) I didn't know that. :shock:

ProShooter

imported post

AbNo wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
Well, as a college student (and employee) I didn't know that. :shock:
We're listed on the SCCC site under Virginia instructors. We were the only ones listed there for a good while but it looks like a number of other companies have signed on.

big_bake

imported post

I'm not really a part of SCCC, i managed to run across something on my facebook wall one day and clicked on it. led me to their group page which had the free online training at the top. pretty cut and dry basic stuff, but it will get a new person pointed in the right direction. definitely not substitute for real training.

that being said i'm considering coming up for one of the Utah classes over the summer to get that taken care of.

and 10 days into my wait... one can only hope his mother calls with the good news that the great city of Hampton sent him some mail.

ProShooter

imported post

big_bake wrote:
that being said i'm considering coming up for one of the Utah classes over the summer to get that taken care of.
The Utah class is a good class. Utah seems to have put alot of thought into the course outline and the majority of folks who comment really seem to enjoy the course. It covers a wide range of topics and really tries to emphasize safety. I try to mix the material with some of my experiences in LE and a little bit of comedy. I find that it helps the student retain the material.