Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wow, Class 3 Weapons are Legal for non law enforcement/military?

Regular Member American Boy With a Gun's Avatar

Post imported post

I feel like an idiot, but cant find much more than " ALOT of paperwork " ...you smart fellers got any info my brain can absorb?
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." -- Samuel Adams, 1776

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject

Post imported post

Well, depends. Michigan allows regular civilians to possess legally registered (ATF) machine guns, Michigan doesn't allow short barreled rifles / shotguns, or sound suppressors.
    Rand Paul 2016

Post imported post

You can't have SBS's, SBR's, or suppressors per Michigan law, unless they are C&R's and you have a C&R license.

(God damnit how I miss Arizona )

The rest of the information you need is here: http://www.atf.gov/publications/down...f-p-5320-8.pdf
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

its a book...literally....ill have to read it later lol
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." -- Samuel Adams, 1776

Post imported post

It is an absurdly complicated subject. It will take some serious effort to understand it correctly.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

I do know that part of the process is to request 'permission' from the ATF. The only folks I know of in MI that have a class 3 are ranges so I wonder if they automatically deny regular folks.

Post imported post

Savage.Detroit wrote:
    I do know that part of the process is to request 'permission' from the ATF. The only folks I know of in MI that have a class 3 are ranges so I wonder if they automatically deny regular folks.
    If you want a machine gun in Michigan and your criminal record is clean, ATF will not deny you. It is almost like a rubber stamp for ATF. It might take months before you get paperwork back but it will be approved. Your local sheriff/police chief is what you should worry about. This is where many people find a problem. This is because sheriff/police chief must sign paperwork that then goes to ATF. A lot of people reporting that they can not get it signed because some of the local sheriff/police departments take anti-machine gun stand. If this happens, you can set up a "trust" where your machine gun will be transferred in the name of the trust, not your name. With this arrangement no signature from police chief is require. The only downside is that you would have to spend some money to set up a trust. It might be somewhat expensive if you use an attorney. You can do it yourself but it is fairly complicated from what I hear.

Post imported post

contrary to popular belief regarding full auto weapons,they are legal,just heavily restricted.

Also, in Michigan you do not need a class 3 FFL to own one,some states require you be an FFL but Michigan does not.

the ATF stamp is considered your permission to own a full auto in this state.

somebody correct me if im wrong,but from what i have read i believe im correct.
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

Post imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
    contrary to popular belief regarding full auto weapons,they are legal,just heavily restricted.

Also, in Michigan you do not need a class 3 FFL to own one,some states require you be an FFL but Michigan does not.

the ATF stamp is considered your permission to own a full auto in this state.

somebody correct me if im wrong,but from what i have read i believe im correct.
    03 FFL's are C&R, yes, no?

Post imported post

An FFL 03 is a C&R

There is no class three license but rather you must first have an FFL 01 or 07 and then you pay more and get an additional certificate that allows you to deal in class three and destructive devises.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
    An FFL 03 is a C&R

There is no class three license but rather you must first have an FFL 01 or 07 and then you pay more and get anÂ* additional certificate that allows you to deal in class three and destructive devises.
    Destructive devices are separate I do believe, as they require a special one-time occupational hazard tax, as well as legally required storage considerations.

-Richard-

Post imported post

richard, what in the world is your picture?, im trying to figure it out, not working

Post imported post

American Boy With a Gun wrote:
    richard, what in the world is your picture?, im trying to figure it out, not working

It's the international symbol for Amateur Radio.

-Richard-

Post imported post

that reminds me...i gotta finish installing my new CB
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

Post imported post

office888 wrote:
    American Boy With a Gun wrote:

It's the international symbol for Amateur Radio.

-Richard-
    Ahh, i see....lol...well i do now anyways

So can someone show a link to the michigan law that states what restricted firearms are legal?

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Welcome aboard OCDO.

It would have been good to have fully reviewed the thread first - it is over three (3) years old. In this case I think a new thread with a more definitive quiery would have been in order - we'll have to see if anybody responds.

Normally laws don't tell you what is legal, but rather what is not legal.

Here is a primer on Class III in MI - Google is your friend

http://republicanmichigander.blogspo...-legal-in.html

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Are_class_...al_in_Michigan

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ement-military
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 07-27-2013 at 04:35 AM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by American Boy With a Gun View Post
    I feel like an idiot, but cant find much more than " ALOT of paperwork " ...you smart fellers got any info my brain can absorb?
    I suppose if one wrote the AEC and applied for a license to carry a Tactical Noocuelar Weapon, it would be denied on the basis that there is no such thing as a nookulear device, even though that's how ex-Prez George W. Bush (and many physicists) pronounced it.

If you think the paperwork is substantial for a class three, imagine carrying a Noooooke. (lol)

(*) Atomic Energy Commission

(This post is full of sarcasm - it's early)

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick9 View Post
    I suppose if one wrote the AEC and applied for a license to carry a Tactical Noocuelar Weapon, it would be denied on the basis that there is no such thing as a nookulear device, even though that's how ex-Prez George W. Bush (and many physicists) pronounced it.

If you think the paperwork is substantial for a class three, imagine carrying a Noooooke. (lol)

(*) Atomic Energy Commission

(This post is full of sarcasm - it's early)
    No. It is late. The AEC was disestablished in 1974 by the Energy Reorganization Act. Your hero POTUS Carter-39 initiated the solecism. The Bush derangement syndrome is still rampant.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    No. It is late. The AEC was disestablished in 1974 by the Energy Reorganization Act. Your hero POTUS Carter-39 initiated the solecism. The Bush derangement syndrome is still rampant.
    In 28 years on the 'Net you are the first person that taught me a new word. (my vocab is extensive). I thought you left off a 'p' and meant to (misuse) solipsism (the philosophical idea that only one's own mind is sure to exist.)

Kudos.

OTOH, you accused me of having Jimmy Carter as a hero. Tch. He was a nuclear sub engineer, so he gets some respect on that basis.
    Last edited by Maverick9; 07-27-2013 at 09:29 AM.

Since this thread is from 2010, I'd like to point out that surpressors are actually now legal to own, and even carry in Michigan.

Gotta love America.
    Molon Labe

[+=] Eleftheria i thanatos [+=]

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by sasha601 View Post
    Savage.Detroit wrote:

If you want a machine gun in Michigan and your criminal record is clean, ATF will not deny you. It is almost like a rubber stamp for ATF. It might take months before you get paperwork back but it will be approved. Your local sheriff/police chief is what you should worry about. This is where many people find a problem. This is because sheriff/police chief must sign paperwork that then goes to ATF. A lot of people reporting that they can not get it signed because some of the local sheriff/police departments take anti-machine gun stand. If this happens, you can set up a "trust" where your machine gun will be transferred in the name of the trust, not your name. With this arrangement no signature from police chief is require. The only downside is that you would have to spend some money to set up a trust. It might be somewhat expensive if you use an attorney. You can do it yourself but it is fairly complicated from what I hear.
    Michigan Coalition of Responsible Gun Owners(MCRGO) has all the info on these type Trusts in MI on their web site!
    Today JESUS would tell me to sell my coat and buy two Springfield XD Compact 45acp's!

NRA LIFER,GOA,MOC Inc.,CLSD,MCRGO,UAW! MOLON LABE!!

Banned
    Class I, II, III whatever ... I just read the 2nd and 9th amendments ... they speak of no such things

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick9 View Post
    In 28 years on the 'Net you are the first person that taught me a new word. (my vocab is extensive). I thought you left off a 'p' and meant to (misuse) solipsism (the philosophical idea that only one's own mind is sure to exist.) Kudos.

OTOH, you accused me of having Jimmy Carter as a hero. Tch. He was a nuclear sub engineer, so he gets some respect on that basis.
    Carter was no sort of "nuclear sub engineer." Carter was a junior regular navy lieutenant nuclear engineering graduate working on his command quals when he resigned in 1953 to run the peanut farm. He had served on conventional surface ships and diesel submarines on his junior officer tours. He was USS Seawolf SSN-575 pre-commissioning administration officer. Seawolf was launched in 1955 and commissioned in 1957. His major nuclear experience was cleaning up the Chalk River, Canada, reactor accident. (I directed operations and testing of submarine reactor plants.)

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexpe...meline/carter/
    Last edited by Nightmare; 08-12-2013 at 06:05 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Carter was no sort of "nuclear sub engineer." Carter was a junior regular navy lieutenant nuclear engineering graduate working on his command quals when he resigned in 1953 to run the peanut farm. He had served on conventional surface ships and diesel submarines on his junior officer tours. He was USS Seawolf SSN-575 pre-commissioning administration officer. Seawolf was launched in 1955 and commissioned in 1957. His major nuclear experience was cleaning up the Chalk River, Canada, reactor accident. (I directed operations and testing of submarine reactor plants.)

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexpe...meline/carter/
    Carter was no sort of president either >snicker<

After high school, Carter enrolled at Georgia Southwestern College, in Americus. Later, he applied to the United States Naval Academy and, after taking additional mathematics courses at Georgia Tech, he was admitted in 1943. Carter graduated 59th out of 820 midshipmen at the Naval Academy with a Bachelor of Science degree with an unspecified major, as was the custom at the academy at that time.[13] After serving in both the Atlantic and Pacific U.S. Submarine Fleets, Jimmy Carter attended graduate school majoring in reactor technology and nuclear physics.[14][15] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Carter

Does not say he got any type of degree regarding nuclear anything ... could not find Carter's DD214 online ..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast