• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wow, Class 3 Weapons are Legal for non law enforcement/military?

Yooper

imported post

Well, depends. Michigan allows regular civilians to possess legally registered (ATF) machine guns, Michigan doesn't allow short barreled rifles / shotguns, or sound suppressors.

Michigander

imported post

You can't have SBS's, SBR's, or suppressors per Michigan law, unless they are C&R's and you have a C&R license. :cuss:

(God damnit how I miss Arizona
brave.gif
)

The rest of the information you need is here: http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5320-8/atf-p-5320-8.pdf

sasha601

imported post

Savage.Detroit wrote:
I do know that part of the process is to request 'permission' from the ATF. The only folks I know of in MI that have a class 3 are ranges so I wonder if they automatically deny regular folks.

If you want a machine gun in Michigan and your criminal record is clean, ATF will not deny you. It is almost like a rubber stamp for ATF. It might take months before you get paperwork back but it will be approved. Your local sheriff/police chief is what you should worry about. This is where many people find a problem. This is because sheriff/police chief must sign paperwork that then goes to ATF. A lot of people reporting that they can not get it signed because some of the local sheriff/police departments take anti-machine gun stand. If this happens, you can set up a "trust" where your machine gun will be transferred in the name of the trust, not your name. With this arrangement no signature from police chief is require. The only downside is that you would have to spend some money to set up a trust. It might be somewhat expensive if you use an attorney. You can do it yourself but it is fairly complicated from what I hear.

lil_freak_66

imported post

contrary to popular belief regarding full auto weapons,they are legal,just heavily restricted.

Also, in Michigan you do not need a class 3 FFL to own one,some states require you be an FFL but Michigan does not.

the ATF stamp is considered your permission to own a full auto in this state.

somebody correct me if im wrong,but from what i have read i believe im correct.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
contrary to popular belief regarding full auto weapons,they are legal,just heavily restricted.

Also, in Michigan you do not need a class 3 FFL to own one,some states require you be an FFL but Michigan does not.

the ATF stamp is considered your permission to own a full auto in this state.

somebody correct me if im wrong,but from what i have read i believe im correct.
03 FFL's are C&R, yes, no?

autosurgeon

imported post

An FFL 03 is a C&R

There is no class three license but rather you must first have an FFL 01 or 07 and then you pay more and get an additional certificate that allows you to deal in class three and destructive devises.

office888

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
An FFL 03 is a C&R

There is no class three license but rather you must first have an FFL 01 or 07 and then you pay more and get an  additional certificate that allows you to deal in class three and destructive devises.

Destructive devices are separate I do believe, as they require a special one-time occupational hazard tax, as well as legally required storage considerations.

-Richard-

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Welcome aboard OCDO.

It would have been good to have fully reviewed the thread first - it is over three (3) years old. In this case I think a new thread with a more definitive quiery would have been in order - we'll have to see if anybody responds.

Normally laws don't tell you what is legal, but rather what is not legal.

Here is a primer on Class III in MI - Google is your friend :)

http://republicanmichigander.blogspot.com/2006/01/class-iii-firearms-now-legal-in.html

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Are_class_3_weapons_legal_in_Michigan

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...ns-are-Legal-for-non-law-enforcement-military

Last edited:

Maverick9

I feel like an idiot, but cant find much more than " ALOT of paperwork " ...you smart fellers got any info my brain can absorb?

I suppose if one wrote the AEC and applied for a license to carry a Tactical Noocuelar Weapon, it would be denied on the basis that there is no such thing as a nookulear device, even though that's how ex-Prez George W. Bush (and many physicists) pronounced it.

If you think the paperwork is substantial for a class three, imagine carrying a Noooooke. (lol)

(*) Atomic Energy Commission

(This post is full of sarcasm - it's early)

Maverick9

No. It is late. The AEC was disestablished in 1974 by the Energy Reorganization Act. Your hero POTUS Carter-39 initiated the solecism. The Bush derangement syndrome is still rampant.

In 28 years on the 'Net you are the first person that taught me a new word. (my vocab is extensive). I thought you left off a 'p' and meant to (misuse) solipsism (the philosophical idea that only one's own mind is sure to exist.)

Kudos.

OTOH, you accused me of having Jimmy Carter as a hero. Tch. He was a nuclear sub engineer, so he gets some respect on that basis. :)

Last edited: