• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying: Round in the chamber or no? Safety on or no?

Tony Santiago

imported post

When you carry, do you carry with a round already in the chamber, and ready to go? Or do you simply carry with your magazine loaded, but having to slide your firearm in order to chamber your round?

Also, for those who have a safety; do you carry with your safety on, or off?

I have an IWB, and I admit, I get a little uneasy when I'm driving, and I have a round chambered in my firearm with the safety off. It points directly at my crotch, and if I were to get in an accident (even a minor one) I fear it would go off in the wrong direction.

Thoughts?

Tony Santiago

imported post

When you carry, do you carry with a round already in the chamber, and ready to go? Or do you simply carry with your magazine loaded, but having to slide your firearm in order to chamber your round?

I have an IWB, and I admit, I get a little uneasy when I'm driving, and I have a round chambered in my firearm with the safety off. It points directly at my crotch, and if I were to get in an accident (even a minor one) I fear it would go off in the wrong direction.

Thoughts?

Broondog

imported post

i carry ready to fire whether i am carrying a DA only or a SA/DA. if i have the latter on me the hammer will be down. neither of my carry automatics have a mechanical safety so on/off is not an option. but i don't use an IWB holster either.

not having a round chambered means losing an extra second or two when i may need it most.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I ahve an old CZ82 that is DA/SA. I carry it with one in the pipe, uncocked, and safety off. (Safety can only be switched on when cocked) This model has a hammer block that roles into position when the trigger is at least 3/4 forward.

This makes the CZ82 very simple to bring to bare. Just draw and pull the trigger; like drawing a DA revolver. No switches to mess with. and I don't worry about a AD while it is holstered, since the trigger guard is completely covered in the holster.

It's going to depend on the weapon you carry.

Aaron1124

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
Aaron1124 wrote:
gogodawgs wrote:
Ya think? Sounds like a legitimate question. I also use an Inside the Waistband holster. I always have the safety on when chambered though.
Yes, look at the other posts of this troll.
Ah. I saw the "guy pulled out a shotgun from his trunk" and I remember the carried on federal property" thread.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

eye95 wrote:
What kind of handgun do you have?
Presume you are referring to the OP, who says he(?) carries with his gun pointed at his crotch?

Sound well trained and well executed method of carry to you? If something I did scared me, I just might look for a better way, but that's just me. :lol:

Check out the rest of the his "what if" postings via Profile/Posts.

Virtually 100 percent are of this T type.

Yata hey

Aaron1124

imported post

I read his other post on the Washington forum (As I am a member there), but even if he has made some goofy posts, this sounds like a legit question. I, too, have an inside the waistband holster, and it the muzzle of it may often point at your own self while you're sitting down.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Tony Santiago wrote:

Thoughts?Tony Santiago wrote:
sig sauer p229

Please come clean. Are you just trolling? :?

Your post stinks like BS.

A P229 has no "safety" lever as there is no need for one. It has a decock lever. Once you decock it, there is simply no way for the firearm to go off without pulling the long double action trigger. You could have a head on collision with a Space Shuttle and it can not physically discharge.

bigdaddy1

imported post

How often do you use your crotch? If not that often I wouldnt worry about too much.

On a more serious note, safety on. Now my sidearm does not have a safety, but its a double action type so I dont have the hammer cocked.

hopnpop

imported post

Troll or not, don't care, I think it a reasonable question. The answer depends greatly on the gun itself and the operator. There are guns I wouldn't carry at the ready. The guns I carry, I do carry chambered with safety off.

There's one gun that I carry IWB, a Taurus PT140 Pro, and I carry in the front appendix position, which is generally pointednear my crotch. I don't use the safety since it's right-hand oriented and I shoot lefty.This particular gun doesn't have an exposed hammer, and has a longDAO trigger pull. Since the IWB holster does completely cover the trigger and triggerguard, there's not the issue of accidentally touching the trigger until it's free and clear of the holster. Also, with the long DAO trigger, the hammer isn't really cocked, making it "drop safe", or bump safe, in this case.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

hopnpop wrote:
Troll or not, don't care, I think it a reasonable question. The answer depends greatly on the gun itself and the operator. There are guns I wouldn't carry at the ready. The guns I carry, I do carry chambered with safety off.

There's one gun that I carry IWB, a Taurus PT140 Pro, and I carry in the front appendix position, which is generally pointednear my crotch. I don't use the safety since it's right-hand oriented and I shoot lefty.This particular gun doesn't have an exposed hammer, and has a longDAO trigger pull. Since the IWB holster does completely cover the trigger and triggerguard, there's not the issue of accidentally touching the trigger until it's free and clear of the holster. Also, with the long DAO trigger, the hammer isn't really cocked, making it "drop safe", or bump safe, in this case.

The safety you are referring to is absolutely unnecessary. I personally do not see the point in a safety leverfor a double action. I am a firm believer in decock only for a carry hangun where applicable. If someone can not keep their finger off of the trigger ofa Glock and XD, they should not own one. The trigger safeties are sufficient without an additionalsafety lever.

If you have aBeretta, Taurus, Ruger, etc SA/DA which has an external hammer then you should not dream of carrying it with the hammer back unless you have a safety lever andit is placed on safe.1911s go without saying. Most Sigs are decock only and there is absolutely no reason to carry them with the hammer back.

M

McX

imported post

i go condition 3. no round in the chamber, mag. in the gun. but if i get my dream .45 i will rethink that once i get the subtleties of it down.