• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying: Round in the chamber or no? Safety on or no?

Aaron1124

imported post

I have a Ruger P95. The hammer does not need to be cocked back in order for it to be ready to go. Open slide, put in loaded mag, close slide, and it's ready. Hammer is not cocked back.

bigdaddy1

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
I have a Ruger P95. The hammer does not need to be cocked back in order for it to be ready to go. Open slide, put in loaded mag, close slide, and it's ready. Hammer is not cocked back.
Ruger P91DC (mine). Hammer goes back ready to rock, but the de-cocker safely puts the hammer back. I guess theres no need for a mechanical safety then.

Aaron1124

imported post

True. My Ruger P95 has a safety though, so even though I carry with a round in the chamber, the hammer doesn't have to be back in order to fire the first round, but I carry with safety on anyway.

I do have an IWB holster, and yes, the OP is correct, when you're sitting down, it can be pointed at your leg or crotch, depending where you have it.

elixin77

imported post

I carry my 1911 in condition 1, just as intended.

A friend looked at me all weird when I told him I carry like that, but then he shrugged and said that he's a wheelman, and doesn't like the feel of semi-autos, haha.

okboomer

imported post

Open slide, put in loaded mag, close slide, and it's ready. Hammer is not cocked back.
And when something is happening, this is a looooong time!

Although, the argument could be made that the sound of chambering a round might give a BG pause ... it did the one timeI drewwhen I used to carry condition 3. I decided that I would rather not have to chamber a round, but would like to have the gun in condition 1 when/if I need to draw.

Also, all the advanced pistol classes I have taken require condition 1 and provide ammunition management practice along with the different styles of mag reload. I settled on the tactical ... just drop the spent mag while bringing the full mag into action. (That's why most of my pistols show a mag with a keeper on the bottom :cool:)

Aaron1124

imported post

okboomer wrote:
Open slide, put in loaded mag, close slide, and it's ready. Hammer is not cocked back.
And when something is happening, this is a looooong time!

Although, the argument could be made that the sound of chambering a round might give a BG pause ... it did the one timeI drewwhen I used to carry condition 3. I decided that I would rather not have to chamber a round, but would like to have the gun in condition 1 when/if I need to draw.

Also, all the advanced pistol classes I have taken require condition 1 and provide ammunition management practice along with the different styles of mag reload. I settled on the tactical ... just drop the spent mag while bringing the full mag into action. (That's why most of my pistols show a mag with a keeper on the bottom :cool:)
I think you misinterpreted what I said. I do all that stuff before I even leave.

KansasMustang

imported post

CC is Taurus PT140 round in the tube and safety on, hammerless. OC is Springfield XD45, round in the tube, no mechanical safety except backstrap and finger.

hopnpop

imported post

KansasMustang wrote:
CC is Taurus PT140 round in the tube and safety on, hammerless. OC is Springfield XD45, round in the tube, no mechanical safety except backstrap and finger.
Like minds? My CC, a PT140 Pro. My OC, a Springfield XD40 SS, 4". Close to the same carry guns, and carry them almost the same, only diff. being I don't use the safety on my Taurus. :)

eye95

imported post

Earlier today, another OCer looked at the cocked hammer on my 1911 and was visibly concerned. I related an AD I had experienced trying to decock with one in the tube. I erroneously thought this was a safer way to carry. Now, I know better. Decocking a 1911 is incredibly dangerous.

Fortunately, the round did not go off as I was lowering the hammer. If it had, my thumb would have suffered a nasty injury. In a still unexplained event, after setting the handgun on the table, pointed downrange, with nothing in which a hole would cause a problem in front of it, the gun fired.

Once again, a decocked 1911, with one in the tube, sitting on a table, not being touched, fired--with three witnesses looking on.

The best theory I have heard, after being told numerous times that the event was impossible, was that, while lowering the hammer, the firing pin struck the round sufficiently to fire the weapon. However, a delayed firing (they have been known to happen) may have fortuitously saved my thumb.

I will never ever decock a 1911 with one in the tube again. If a 1911 is not decocked, prudence demands setting the safety.

The discharge of my 1911 is a perfect illustration of the benefit of multiple safety devices and practices. When one fails, another one stops any holage from occurring.

So, to answer the question: One in the tube, cocked, and locked.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

eye95 wrote:
Once again, a decocked 1911, with one in the tube, sitting on a table, not being touched, fired--with three witnesses looking on.
"Hang fire"

Don't know if that term is even used any longer.

Yata hey

eye95

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
eye95 wrote:
"Hang fire"

Don't know if that term is even used any longer.

Yata hey
Thanks. I looked up the term, and that seems to describe what theoretically happened.

Anyway. the incident taught me a shocking lesson and illustrates why carrying a decocked 1911 with a chambered round is dangerous.

okboomer

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
I think you misinterpreted what I said. I do all that stuff before I even leave.
Ahhhh, yes, it didn't "read" that way for me :lol:Thanks for the clarification