Thread: To Serve and Protect in New Orleans?

Post imported post

Finally some justice in the New Orlean's "Danziger Street Bridge" murder of 2 and wounding of 4 and subsequent cover-up by NOPD...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/08/us/08shooting.html

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmem..._ci.php?ref=mp

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2010/...7991270694187/
    NEW ORLEANS, April 7 (UPI) -- A former New Orleans police officer pleaded guilty Wednesday to federal charges stemming from the Danziger Bridge shootings after Hurricane Katrina in 2005.

The U.S. Justice Department said in a release Michael Hunter, 33, of Slidell -- who was a New Orleans officer until last week -- pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court to conspiracy to obstruct justice and failing to report a crime in the federal investigation into the case.

Two people were shot to death and four others wounded at the bridge as they tried to flee the city in the days after the 2005 hurricane. The police maintained they fired at the civilians in self-defense, after the civilians fired at them but Hunter is the third officer to admit a role in a police coverup of unjustified shootings.

"In times of disaster, we look to our law enforcement officers to protect public safety and keep the peace," Thomas E. Perez, assistant attorney general for the Civil Rights Division," said in a statement. "Today, this former (New Orleans Police Department) officer has admitted that amidst the devastation that followed in the wake of Hurricane Katrina he watched fellow officers shoot unarmed civilians. And, he admitted covering up about what they did."

In a court filing, Hunter admitted driving to the bridge Sept. 4, 2005, in a large rental truck carrying officers responding to a radio call that other officers were under fire. Hunter said officers fired at civilians who didn't appear to be armed. He said one officer, referred to only as Sergeant A, leaned over a concrete barrier and fired an assault rifle repeatedly in a sweeping motion at the civilians, who were lying wounded and apparently unarmed on the ground.

Hunter admitted he fired his weapon repeatedly at apparently unarmed civilians running away over the bridge.

He said he was on the west side of the bridge when an officer, identified only as Officer A, without warning used to a shotgun to fatally wound an unarmed civilian in the back as he was running from officers with his hands in view. Hunter said he saw Sergeant A physically abuse the victim as he lay on the ground, injured but still alive.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

This is just one more reason to never give up your firearms - especially in a disaster situation. Not only will you need them to protect yourself and your property from roving looters and BG's but rouge police as well. Too bad these citizens weren't armed and able to return fire.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Banned
    across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
    BG's but rouge police as well. Too...
    Maybe they should have to wear stilettos too, so that we can differentiate the rouge-police from the much more politically correct rogue cops in their SWAT sneakers.

Post imported post

"Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States

Post imported post

I lived in New Orleans for about 3 years from '95-'97. The NOPD is a cesspool of corruption. There was a guy I knew who was a cop there, and he ended up quitting as a result. Other officers wanted him to turn a blind eye to their indiscrestions - he was told that if he didn't, then one day he would need backup and "it might not be there." He decided that the job wasn't worth it.

I also vaguely recall another really messed up situation I heard about while living there: An officer was having lunch with herpartner, when she decided to go back to her squad car. She returned to the restaurant with a shotgun & started shooting people - her partner included. During the ensuing investigation conducted by the Louisiana State Police, it was revealed that the officer had failed the required psychological examination. Apparently she was still hired because of affirmative action. They were trying to hit their minority quotas, and she fit two categories being black, and a female

I don't miss that city...
    Carry on!

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I would need to knowa whole lotmore about the "unarmed citizens" -- what they were doing/how they were acting -- before I'd bash the cops on this. Plenty of people during after Katrina needing shooting, unarmed or not.

True enough, the NOPD doesn't have a great reputation. But it's ALSO true that LOTS of the citizens of NO don't, either.

You best be armed in NO, but not so much from the cops, but from too manyof your "fellow citizens" of that sorrycity.Too bad Katrina didn't flushMayor Nagin, his Police Chief and the whole of NO out into the Gulf.

Well, maybe this year: Hurricane season starts June 1st...and we here on Galveston Island also wait to see what it will bring. Unfortunately, we could use some flushing down here, too. And as for Houston, too bad the waves don't make it up that far. :-(

-- John D.
    (formerly of Colorado Springs, CO)

Post imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
    I would need to knowa whole lotmore about the "unarmed citizens" -- what they were doing/how they were acting -- before I'd bash the cops on this. Plenty of people during after Katrina needing shooting, unarmed or not.

True enough, the NOPD doesn't have a great reputation. But it's ALSO true that LOTS of the citizens of NO don't, either.

You best be armed in NO, but not so much from the cops, but from too manyof your "fellow citizens" of that sorrycity.Too bad Katrina didn't flushMayor Nagin, his Police Chief and the whole of NO out into the Gulf.

Well, maybe this year: Hurricane season starts June 1st...and we here on Galveston Island also wait to see what it will bring. Unfortunately, we could use some flushing down here, too. And as for Houston, too bad the waves don't make it up that far. :-(

-- John D.
    Apparently, they were trying to flee New Orleans, something any sane person would do, hurricane or not.

The cop admitted that the shootings were wrongful and that he helped cover them up. END OF STORY.

There's no more justification for what the cops did than there was for the guys in Washington and Pennsylvania who ambushed cops.

Defending the basest criminality by police only lowers public opinion of the police and confirms opinions that they consider themselves above the law and the public.

But then no defense of police criminality truly surprises me anymore. I've seen more than a few Chicago cops defend the beating of the barmaid and the actual thefts committed by the police home invasion ring.
    --- Gun control: The theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

deleted
    (formerly of Colorado Springs, CO)

Ugh? The fed prosecutor's office has been misbehaving. That doesn't mean the officers are innocent, but they deserve a fair trial. Jim Letton is a POS.

Maybe they'll get a fair trial this time.

Quote Originally Posted by georg jetson View Post
    Ugh? The fed prosecutor's office has been misbehaving. That doesn't mean the officers are innocent, but they deserve a fair trial. Jim Letton is a POS.

Of course they do deserve a fair trial... I just hope it's not "fixed" the other way.

My "ugh" is that they have to go through this all over again.

TFred

Quote Originally Posted by georg jetson View Post

Even the guy who pleaded guilty gets a new trial.

I'm still looking to find where the defense objected to the doings of the prosecution, and am coming up empty-handed. You should not be able to appeal based on grounds not objected to in the original trial unless you can show that the evidence you base the appeal on could not have been known during the trial. Otherwise it's just little kids going to grandma asking to have Daddy's decision overturned - Daddy winds up with no authority or respect.

And yes, they deserve a fair trial.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit