Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: could i get in trouble if..

Banned

Post imported post

if I open carry while wearing a t shirt and hat that says "police" or "swat"? i see them all the time at convenient stores. or even ones that read "fbi" or "dea". would that be criminal for me to do, if i dont pretend to actually be in law enforcment?

Banned

Post imported post

I don't know whether it is illegal or not. I can tell you why I wouldn't do it.

You will tick a cop off who will accuse you of trying to impersonate an LEO. Whether or not he can make such a charge stick, he can make your life miserable for a while--and there is at least one out there who will go out of his way to do so.

You would be asking for trouble.

Post imported post

Not sure.. but I wouldn't do it, personally. That's just me though. If I saw a regular citizen wearing a police shirt or hat, and OCing, I would very well think they're a police officer. Nothing would lead me to believe they're not, simply by looking at them, unless they said they weren't one.

I don't see why a person would do it unless they just wanted to look cool.

Post imported post

+1 for the "i wouldn't do it" bunch.

and personally i've always wondered why anyone would want a shirt/hat like that anyway.

I'm the one who's gotta die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.
    Jimi Hendrix

NRA Benefactor Member & 03 FFL

Post imported post

TROLL
    Live Free or Die!

Post imported post

Legal or not, I think it's pretty obvious that it would NOT be a good idea. Don't we get enough "Are you a cop?" inquiries already? Wear attire like that and they'll skip right past the inquiry and start speaking with you like you're a LEO. Just not a good idea IMO.
    No one has ever walked away from a gunfight complaining that he brought too much ammo.

Banned

Post imported post

If he is a troll, who cares? He asked a question, and it was answered reasonably. If he is trying to make OCers look bad, he failed. If he tried to annoy us, for the most part, he failed. If he wanted to start an argument, he failed.

If he was trying to troll, he failed.

However, if he wasn't a troll (and I have no reason yet to believe he is), he asked a valid question and deserved an answer. He got one.

Bottom line: If he is a troll, he failed. If he is not, he succeeded. All is well at OCDO.

McX

Post imported post

hmm, i might be seen out in a concert t-shirt, or eventually in a wisconsincarry t-shirt. don't got no steenkin swat t-shirts.

Post imported post

McX wrote:
    don't got no steenkin swat t-shirts.
    Hey, I thought only rednecks from the south talked like that!!!
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

Banned
    across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

I'm sure that was not a personal attack that may be deleted as such.

Get dark blue with POLITE in yellow just to remind yourself and each of us of our duty.

McX

Post imported post

nah, it didn't offend me, but it might piss off my sister/wife (har-har), i did spit my chew of bakker out when i read it though.

Post imported post

Definitely not meant to be a personal attack. Justfeelin' a bit infringed on. Knowhutimean?
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

Post imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
    TROLL
    Most trolls don't have 76 posts ................ just sayin'.

As for the OP's question, I definitely wouldn't do it. I asked a couple of people I know who have been in law enforcement for a long time, and they said it's probably not illegal since you don't have a badge, but it was not a good idea, and would likely tick off some LEO's, which as we all know is generally not a good idea.

I have a hat my wife had made for the stage crew guys that help with the productions at her dance studio that looks like a "raid cap", {Plain black with MDAC in white block letters on the front.}, and several folks asked "What department are you with?" when I wore it while carrying, so I don't wear it anymore. I think it is best not to stir that pot.

Edited to add the rest of my response due to a mis-click on the send button.

Banned

Post imported post

Scrub wrote:
    gogodawgs wrote:
    TROLL
    Most trolls don't have 76 posts ................ just sayin'
    Well, that was your 75th! If you don't post one more time, you are a troll! :P

Post imported post

eye95 wrote:
    Scrub wrote:
    gogodawgs wrote:
    TROLL
    Some folks think I resemble one in real life anyway, so no big deal for me.

Banned

Post imported post

Scrub wrote:
    eye95 wrote:
    Scrub wrote:
    gogodawgs wrote:
    TROLL
    That's 76. You're safe now. :celebrate

Post imported post

eye95 wrote:
    Scrub wrote:
    eye95 wrote:
    Scrub wrote:
    gogodawgs wrote:
    TROLL
    Going to go ahead with #77 just to be safe!

Post imported post

I want a shirt that says "I steal ****" for when I OC.
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

Post imported post

I am not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once.

I would suggest not. Even though these are commercially available (I have even worn a NYPD shirt) having one on while carrying asidearm brings on a whole new realm. It would be very easy for a cop to say you are intent on impersonating a officer, and I suspect it would hold up in a court of law.
    What part of "shall not be infringed" don't you understand?

Banned
    across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

bigdaddy1 wrote:
    I am not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once.

I would suggest not. Even though these are commercially available (I have even worn a NYPD shirt) having one on while carrying asidearm brings on a whole new realm. It would be very easy for a cop to say you are intent on impersonating a officer, and I suspect it would hold up in a court of law.
    I-ANAL and a coward.

946.70 Impersonating peace officers.
    (1) Except as provided in sub. (2), whoever impersonates a peace officer with intent to mislead others into believing that the person is actually a peace officer is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.
    (2) Any person violating sub. (1) with the intent to commit or aid or abet the commission of a crime other than the crime under this section is guilty of a Class H felony.
    History: 1977 c. 173; 1985 a. 97, 332; 2001 a. 109.
    Cross‚ąíreference: See s. 125.105 for the offense of impersonating an employee of the department of revenue or the department of justice.

Post imported post

If your local PD sells t-shirts with their logo on it, buy one then write into the police chiefs office thanking them for the shirt and ask if it's ok to wear it around town. Include SASE for their return letter. It's neither illegal to wear the shirt nor OC. Exercising two legal activities simultaneously is also not illegal. Arresting someone for lawful activity is, however, illegal, and will result in a cashiers check with your name on it.

just saying...

Post imported post

I'm not a cop.
    I don't want to be a cop.
    I don't want people to think I'm a cop.

I wouldn't do it.
    --- Gun control: The theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists.

Post imported post

Scrub wrote:
    eye95 wrote:
    Scrub wrote:
    eye95 wrote:
    Scrub wrote:
    gogodawgs wrote:
    TROLL
    Going to go ahead with #77 just to be safe!
    You two just slay me! Thanks for bringing tears to my eyes!
    cheers - okboomer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way

Exercising my 2A Rights does NOT make me a CRIMINAL! Infringing on the exercise of those rights makes YOU one!

Banned

Post imported post

It never ceases to amaze me how some folks on a message board will readily assure us that, if we follow their advice, we will get a check and not a major legal hassle. I wouldn't take that kind of advice from a lawyer, let alone a message board poster!

Post imported post

A cousin picked an ATF hat from one of those game things and gave it to SO. He used to wear it,then we took the Armed PI classes and the instructor made a very good point ... if you are wearing something that indicates you might be law enforcement, that has gotten people "shot first" in the past. He cited a case (don't have the cite myself, tho, so take it with a grain of salt, but he was the investigating state officer, so I take it as true) in which a security officer who was in uniform (but no gun, by law) sitting in a restaurant was the first shot when the robbers came in. SO only wears the ATF hat to the range now.

Funny story, tho - we pulled up to cousin's house and her ex-boyfriend was over annoying her and when he asked who was there, she said, "It says A-T-F on the hat." She was still laughing her butt off when we walked in over him bolting out the back door and hopping the chainlink fence. I guess he was either BTL or had a warrant (reason he was ex-).

cheers - okboomer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way

Exercising my 2A Rights does NOT make me a CRIMINAL! Infringing on the exercise of those rights makes YOU one!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast