• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

could i get in trouble if..

U8Dust

Banned
imported post

if I open carry while wearing a t shirt and hat that says "police" or "swat"? i see them all the time at convenient stores. or even ones that read "fbi" or "dea". would that be criminal for me to do, if i dont pretend to actually be in law enforcment?

eye95

imported post

I don't know whether it is illegal or not. I can tell you why I wouldn't do it.

You will tick a cop off who will accuse you of trying to impersonate an LEO. Whether or not he can make such a charge stick, he can make your life miserable for a while--and there is at least one out there who will go out of his way to do so.

You would be asking for trouble.

Aaron1124

imported post

Not sure.. but I wouldn't do it, personally. That's just me though. If I saw a regular citizen wearing a police shirt or hat, and OCing, I would very well think they're a police officer. Nothing would lead me to believe they're not, simply by looking at them, unless they said they weren't one.

I don't see why a person would do it unless they just wanted to look cool.

hopnpop

imported post

Legal or not, I think it's pretty obvious that it would NOT be a good idea. Don't we get enough "Are you a cop?" inquiries already? Wear attire like that and they'll skip right past the inquiry and start speaking with you like you're a LEO. Just not a good idea IMO.

eye95

imported post

If he is a troll, who cares? He asked a question, and it was answered reasonably. If he is trying to make OCers look bad, he failed. If he tried to annoy us, for the most part, he failed. If he wanted to start an argument, he failed.

If he was trying to troll, he failed.

However, if he wasn't a troll (and I have no reason yet to believe he is), he asked a valid question and deserved an answer. He got one.

Bottom line: If he is a troll, he failed. If he is not, he succeeded. All is well at OCDO.

M

McX

imported post

hmm, i might be seen out in a concert t-shirt, or eventually in a wisconsincarry t-shirt. don't got no steenkin swat t-shirts.

M

McX

imported post

nah, it didn't offend me, but it might piss off my sister/wife (har-har):D, i did spit my chew of bakker out when i read it though.:D

Scrub

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:

Most trolls don't have 76 posts ................ just sayin'.

As for the OP's question, I definitely wouldn't do it. I asked a couple of people I know who have been in law enforcement for a long time, and they said it's probably not illegal since you don't have a badge, but it was not a good idea, and would likely tick off some LEO's, which as we all know is generally not a good idea.

I have a hat my wife had made for the stage crew guys that help with the productions at her dance studio that looks like a "raid cap", {Plain black with MDAC in white block letters on the front.}, and several folks asked "What department are you with?" when I wore it while carrying, so I don't wear it anymore. I think it is best not to stir that pot.

Edited to add the rest of my response due to a mis-click on the send button.

eye95

imported post

Scrub wrote:
eye95 wrote:
Scrub wrote:
gogodawgs wrote:

Most trolls don't have 76 posts ................ just sayin'
Well, that was your 75th! If you don't post one more time, you are a troll! :p
Some folks think I resemble one in real life anyway, so no big deal for me.
That's 76. You're safe now. :celebrate

Scrub

imported post

eye95 wrote:
Scrub wrote:
eye95 wrote:
Scrub wrote:
gogodawgs wrote:

Most trolls don't have 76 posts ................ just sayin'
Well, that was your 75th! If you don't post one more time, you are a troll! :p
Some folks think I resemble one in real life anyway, so no big deal for me.
That's 76. You're safe now. :celebrate
Going to go ahead with #77 just to be safe! :lol:

bigdaddy1

imported post

I am not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once.

I would suggest not. Even though these are commercially available (I have even worn a NYPD shirt) having one on while carrying asidearm brings on a whole new realm. It would be very easy for a cop to say you are intent on impersonating a officer, and I suspect it would hold up in a court of law.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

bigdaddy1 wrote:
I am not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once.

I would suggest not. Even though these are commercially available (I have even worn a NYPD shirt) having one on while carrying asidearm brings on a whole new realm. It would be very easy for a cop to say you are intent on impersonating a officer, and I suspect it would hold up in a court of law.
I-ANAL and a coward.

946.70 Impersonating peace officers.
(1) Except as provided in sub. (2), whoever impersonates a peace officer with intent to mislead others into believing that the person is actually a peace officer is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.
(2) Any person violating sub. (1) with the intent to commit or aid or abet the commission of a crime other than the crime under this section is guilty of a Class H felony.
History: 1977 c. 173; 1985 a. 97, 332; 2001 a. 109.
Cross−reference: See s. 125.105 for the offense of impersonating an employee of the department of revenue or the department of justice.