• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

could i get in trouble if..

OCforAll

imported post

If your local PD sells t-shirts with their logo on it, buy one then write into the police chiefs office thanking them for the shirt and ask if it's ok to wear it around town. Include SASE for their return letter. It's neither illegal to wear the shirt nor OC. Exercising two legal activities simultaneously is also not illegal. Arresting someone for lawful activity is, however, illegal, and will result in a cashiers check with your name on it.

just saying...

okboomer

imported post

Scrub wrote:
eye95 wrote:
Scrub wrote:
eye95 wrote:
Scrub wrote:
gogodawgs wrote:

Most trolls don't have 76 posts ................ just sayin'
Well, that was your 75th! If you don't post one more time, you are a troll! :p
Some folks think I resemble one in real life anyway, so no big deal for me.
That's 76. You're safe now. :celebrate
Going to go ahead with #77 just to be safe! :lol:
You two just slay me! Thanks for bringing tears to my eyes!

eye95

imported post

It never ceases to amaze me how some folks on a message board will readily assure us that, if we follow their advice, we will get a check and not a major legal hassle. I wouldn't take that kind of advice from a lawyer, let alone a message board poster!

okboomer

imported post

A cousin picked an ATF hat from one of those game things and gave it to SO. He used to wear it,then we took the Armed PI classes and the instructor made a very good point ... if you are wearing something that indicates you might be law enforcement, that has gotten people "shot first" in the past. He cited a case (don't have the cite myself, tho, so take it with a grain of salt, but he was the investigating state officer, so I take it as true) in which a security officer who was in uniform (but no gun, by law) sitting in a restaurant was the first shot when the robbers came in. SO only wears the ATF hat to the range now.

Funny story, tho - we pulled up to cousin's house and her ex-boyfriend was over annoying her and when he asked who was there, she said, "It says A-T-F on the hat." She was still laughing her butt off when we walked in over him bolting out the back door and hopping the chainlink fence. I guess he was either BTL or had a warrant (reason he was ex-).

Aaron1124

imported post

okboomer wrote:
Funny story, tho - we pulled up to cousin's house and her ex-boyfriend was over annoying her and when he asked who was there, she said, "It says A-T-F on the hat." She was still laughing her butt off when we walked in over him bolting out the back door and hopping the chainlink fence. I guess he was either BTL or had a warrant (reason he was ex-).
LOL! That is just hilarious.

Shovelhead

imported post

could i get in trouble if..I open carry while wearing a t shirt and hat that says "police" or "swat"? i see them all the time at convenient stores. or even ones that read "fbi" or "dea". would that be criminal for me to do, if i dont pretend to actually be in law enforcment?

[align=center]Just make sure you're also wearing your CCW badge on your belt at the same time.......:lol:
calg.jpg
[/align]

Might be legal, but I wouldn't try it.

OCforAll

imported post

eye95 wrote:
It never ceases to amaze me how some folks on a message board will readily assure us that, if we follow their advice, we will get a check and not a major legal hassle.  I wouldn't take that kind of advice from a lawyer, let alone a message board poster!

Advice? I stated facts. Arresting someone for lawful activity results in a paycheck. You can disagree, that's your right. Case law would suggest otherwise. People can decide for themselves what they will or will not do in life. Please show me any law that says you can't wear a t-shirt with the word police on it. "Police" is a word that has several definition, one of which is a rock trio out of England. Law enforcement identify themselves with very specific markings, typically their town or municipality, not just a word.

If I go outside wearing a BDU and put a forward-facing American Flag on my right arm, am I impersonating a soldier? FBI are three letters that could mean anything. Watch Dog the bounty hunter, their shirts read FBI (from big island).

Will you get approached while OCing with a shirt like that, definitely, just like you would had you been wearing a Disney t-shirt. I'm guessing that it would be cause for RAS but not illegal.

eye95

imported post

OCforAll wrote:
eye95 wrote:
It never ceases to amaze me how some folks on a message board will readily assure us that, if we follow their advice, we will get a check and not a major legal hassle. I wouldn't take that kind of advice from a lawyer, let alone a message board poster!

Advice? I stated facts. Arresting someone for lawful activity results in a paycheck. You can disagree, that's your right. Case law would suggest otherwise. People can decide for themselves what they will or will not do in life. Please show me any law that says you can't wear a t-shirt with the word police on it. "Police" is a word that has several definition, one of which is a rock trio out of England. Law enforcement identify themselves with very specific markings, typically their town or municipality, not just a word.

If I go outside wearing a BDU and put a forward-facing American Flag on my right arm, am I impersonating a soldier? FBI are three letters that could mean anything. Watch Dog the bounty hunter, their shirts read FBI (from big island).

Will you get approached while OCing with a shirt like that, definitely, just like you would had you been wearing a Disney t-shirt. I'm guessing that it would be cause for RAS but not illegal.
Decidedly NOT facts. Supposition. Dangerous supposition based on rolling of the legal dice.

I'm done with this sub-thread. Moving on.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

I don't know if it is against the law. The reason I wouldn't wear a shirt like that is because I don't want to be identifiedas aLEO.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Shovelhead wrote:
could i get in trouble if..I open carry while wearing a t shirt and hat that says "police" or "swat"? i see them all the time at convenient stores. or even ones that read "fbi" or "dea". would that be criminal for me to do, if i dont pretend to actually be in law enforcment?

[align=center]Just make sure you're also wearing your CCW badge on your belt at the same time.......:lol:
calg.jpg
[/align]

Might be legal, but I wouldn't try it.

Carnivore

imported post

There's got to be about 10 gazillion different shirt styles to wear, why would you choose to wear one of those while OC if you weren't infact trying to cause citizens to think you were an officer of a specific branch ?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have a few LE baseball caps given me by LEO scuba buddies and sheriff family friend. None of the jurisdictions are even in this state but that could I guess give all the more impression that I'm trying to impersonate if I wore any of them while carrying.

In short, it just isn't worth the potential aggravation and cost IMO. I already get enough people asking if I am military or LEO even CC, apparently because I keep my hair short and I have a "military bearing" I have been told.

9MM Owner

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
Well this guy gets away with driving this

ford-mustang_15699.jpg
It depends on your state laws. It looks like the bar lights are fake. A friend of mine has one of the police cars used in the movie "DRAGNET" and has driven it around town on occasion. He's a security officerand knows alot of the local LEOs and was told something along the line "DO NOT TURN ON THE RED AND BLUELIGHTS AND/OR SIREN WHILE DRIVING ON THE STREETS". He did turn on the lights and gave short burp of the siren while in his driveway shortly after getting the car and two REAL police cars showed up. He can only do that at car shows.

rodbender

imported post

okboomer wrote:
Scrub wrote:
eye95 wrote:
Scrub wrote:
eye95 wrote:
Scrub wrote:
gogodawgs wrote:

Some people are very easily amused.

hopnpop

imported post

Re: the "POLICE" Mustang: WOW. I'm amazed that's legal.

Re: CCW badges: thought those were a bad idea from day 1

Re: CCW badges + shirt:you'd have to be one ignorant SOB

Look, it's simple - DON'T IMPERSONATE COPS OR LEO'S. DON'T TRY TO EVEN COME CLOSE TO IMPERSONATING LE. Basically, if you have to ask....don't do it. We (OCDO and OC-ers) have enough sheet to deal with without people wearing LEO clothing and/or thesestupid CCW badges.

Deanimator

imported post

1. It's BATFE, not ATF. Don't pander to their craving to sit at the big kids' table with the FBI, DEA and CIA.

2. A gun owner wearing an ATF hat is as bizarre to me as a Black person wearing a "KKK" t-shirt.

Scrub

imported post

okboomer wrote:
Scrub wrote:
eye95 wrote:
Scrub wrote:
eye95 wrote:
Scrub wrote:
gogodawgs wrote:

All in a day's work for your friendly OCDO Troll Patrol!!!! :celebrate:celebrate