Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arizona passes Constitutional Carry

Post imported post

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...R-HqAD9EV6OJO0

PHOENIX — The Arizona House voted Thursday to make the state the third in the nation to allow people to carry concealed weapons without a permit, sending the governor a bill that would allow Arizonans to forego background checks and classes that are now required.

The legislation, approved by the House 36-19 without discussion, would make it legal for most U.S. citizens 21 or older to carry a concealed weapon in Arizona without the permit now required. Currently, carrying a hidden firearm without a permit is a misdemeanor punishable by up to six months in jail and a fine of up to $2,500.

Sen. Russell Pearce, a Mesa Republican who sponsored the measure, said last week that he added changes requested by Gov. Jan Brewer's office, an indication that she is likely to sign it. The governor can sign or veto the measure, or allow it to become law without action.

If the legislation is enacted, Arizona would join Alaska and Vermont in not requiring permits to carry concealed weapons. Forty-five other states require permits for hidden guns, and two states — Illinois and Wisconsin — prohibit them altogether.
    This is more Alaska-style carry than Vermont-style carry. Like Alaska, you will be required to surrender your 4th and 5th Amendment protections when contacted by police and must inform them you are carrying, and allow them to take custody of the firearm if they wish during the encounter.

People carrying a concealed weapon would be required to tell a police officer if asked, and the officer could temporarily take the weapon while communicating with the gun carrier.
    Permits will still be available for reciprocity purposes (like Alaska) but will not be required except when carrying in places that serve alcohol for consumption on the premises.

Under the legislation, permits still could be obtained on an optional basis so Arizonans could carry concealed weapons in states with reciprocity agreements. Permits also would be required to carry weapons in bars and restaurants that serve alcohol.
    This is a giant leap in the right direction for Arizona, and the nation, but AZCDL and other gun-rights groups in that state still have a lot to fight for. If only our own homegrown groups were so motivated.

I should note that the law is not yet in effect, and still must be signed by the Governor. She has all but said she will sign it. It will go into effect sometime in late July/early August from my estimates.
    Do you want to enjoy liberty in your lifetime?

Consider moving to New Hampshire as part of the Free State Project.

"Live Free or Die"

Post imported post

Wow... Just... wow.

I had heard that Az might go that direction, but I didnt lend it sufficientmomentum to happen... this year.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW

Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

Post imported post

I have family in Az and visit them every chance I get. Once my legal issue is over...LCC for me.

Post imported post

Is this picture right....all the gang bangers in AZ head to Calif and all the OC'ers head to AZ. WTG AZ
    A citizen may not be required to offer a ―good and substantial reason-- why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The rights existence is all the reason he needs.

Post imported post

To put this into perspective, it is now lawful to carry concealed in at least 21% of the landmass of the United States, not counting states like Idaho that only require a permit to CCW in incorporated cities.

With so many states passing their own versions of the Montana Firearms Freedom Act (Arizona just did last week), I think pro-freedom bills such as this will catch on elsewhere. If the people are truly concerned about protecting their rights, now is the time to act. The revolution is happening right now and California is, unfortunately, sitting it out.

"Live Free or Die"

Regular Member coolusername2007's Avatar

Post imported post

Definitely a move in the right direction. Good news to be sure. But what's with the automatic surrendering of one's 4A and 5A rights? How is that constitutional?

ETA: I guess it's a reasonable regulation.
    "Why should judicial precedent bind the nation if the Constitution itself does not?" -- Mark Levin

Post imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:
    But what's with the automatic surrendering of one's 4A and 5A rights?* How is that constitutional?
    The Robed Ones haven't ruled on it yet; that's why. I'd like to know where it says in the Constitution that one cannot simultaneously exercise more than one Constitutional protection. It will be challenged soon, though, at least in Alaska.

http://www.newsminer.com/view/full_s...dow_left_top_1

"Live Free or Die"

Post imported post

Seems to me like another opportunity for easy-pickin's abuse.

Example:

LEO: Do you have a gun?

Law Abiding Citizen: No.

LEO: I have reasonable suspicion you're lying to me. Assume the position.

Law abiding citizen rewarded with an illegal search of their person. Too easy.
    "Why should judicial precedent bind the nation if the Constitution itself does not?" -- Mark Levin

Post imported post

Gundude wrote:
    Is this picture right....all the gang bangers in AZ head to Calif and all the OC'ers head to AZ. WTG AZ
    That sounds about right.

Post imported post

NightOwl wrote:
    Gundude wrote:
    That sounds about right.
    Nah, the gang bangers have already left, we return fire!

-MH
    $2 Bill - Calling Card of the 2A Movement
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
    Seriously, who is John Galt?
    Vires et honestas

State Researcher

Post imported post

Didn't know this was happening so soon!

Maybe now they can focus on removing the ridiculous restriction on open carry (and soon CCW w/o permit) in restaurants that serve alcohol.

Why do I need to pay a tax and take a test to be entitled to my right to live when deciding to patronize Applebee's?
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org

Don't Tread On Me.

Post imported post

I believe AZCDL is still working on getting more bills drafted to amend those restrictions. They already got rid of the ability of local governments to restrict carry in parks to permit holders with the preemption bill that was recently passed. Last year they tried to get the restaurant/bar carry ban lifted for all types of carry but could only get it for CCW permit holders at the time. They also didn't want the LEO notification requirement added to this latest bill but it was put in at the request of state LEO orgs. The fight goes on.

"Live Free or Die"

Post imported post

The Constitutional Carry bill isn't a "slam dunk" yet, as local medial is predicting gloom n' doom if citizens are allowed to carry a gun W/O proper training.

Then we had the "Idiot with a gun in Walmart" incident.

Gov Brewer is expected to sign the bill, BUT we still have our fingers crossed.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bigtoe416's Avatar

Post imported post

The governor signed this today. Law goes into effect in July or August.

http://azstarnet.com/news/local/govt...cc4c03286.html

State Researcher

Post imported post

I congratulate my Arizona berthren.

BTW, here's another story.
    James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
    Admitted to practice in West Virginia and Florida.

Founder, Past President, Treasurer, and General Counsel, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    Life Member, NRA

Post imported post

GWbiker wrote:
    The Constitutional Carry bill isn't a "slam dunk" yet, as local medial is predicting gloom n' doom if citizens are allowed to carry a gun W/O proper training.

Then we had the "Idiot with a gun in Walmart" incident.

Gov Brewer is expected to sign the bill, BUT we still have our fingers crossed.
    There are idiots legally driving cars and killing people. Do you see my point?
    A citizen may not be required to offer a ―good and substantial reason-- why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The rights existence is all the reason he needs.

Post imported post

What a difference a Governor makes!

State Researcher

Post imported post

Very tempted to move back to my native state...
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org

Don't Tread On Me.

Post imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
    Come for the gun rights, stay for the illegal immigration detainments and civil asset forfeiture. When I do finally leave my home state, I'll be making my way to New Hampshire.

"Live Free or Die"

Post imported post

wewd wrote:
    CA_Libertarian wrote:
    Come for the gun rights, stay for the illegal immigration detainments and civil asset forfeiture. When I do finally leave my home state, I'll be making my way to New Hampshire.
    I'm starting to feel that way myself. I'm also going to keep my eye on Colorado, however.

Post imported post

In my district, my local state senator has termed out, so we have a new guy trying to get elected whose name is Jeff Stone. I emailed him this question yesterday and he responded last night.

Me: I have a question for Jeff. He says he's a 2nd Amendment advocate. Does he support and will he work for "constitutional carry" as the AZ governor has just signed into law? Thank you, ...

Stone: Indeed yes; I was very pleased to see what Arizona has done with their concealed carry law. If elected I will support the exact same type of legislation of our state. Thanks for your support, ...

My hat is off to Jeff for supporting our Constitution as its written.

Do you know what your local elected reps have to say on this issue? And not just the ones in office, but also those running for office.

Post imported post

Arizona citizens now have the same rights as criminals. They can carry a concealed weapon w/o a permit.
    FREEDOM.

State Researcher

Post imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:
    In my district, my local state senator has termed out, so we have a new guy trying to get elected whose name is Jeff Stone. I emailed him this question yesterday and he responded last night.

Me: I have a question for Jeff. He says he's a 2nd Amendment advocate. Does he support and will he work for "constitutional carry" as the AZ governor has just signed into law? Thank you, ...

Stone: Indeed yes; I was very pleased to see what Arizona has done with their concealed carry law. If elected I will support the exact same type of legislation of our state. Thanks for your support, ...

Do you know what your local elected reps have to say on this issue? And not just the ones in office, but also those running for office.
    No offense to Mr Stone, but it's pretty easy to say you'd do something that you know will with 99.999999999% certainty NOT happen.

Don't Tread On Me.

Post imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
    coolusername2007 wrote:

No offense to Mr Stone, but it's pretty easy to say you'd do something that you know will with 99.999999999% certainty NOT happen.
    I have sent emails to a few candidates. Russ Bogh or his sec.was the only one that responded.

Post imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
    coolusername2007 wrote:

True, but he is on the record on the issue, and getting them on the record is half the battle. Plus he has spoken fairly well on the issue of gun rights and 2A. Recently, he pushed through and passed a resolution for our sheriff to loosen the CCW issuance policies (right now he's on the county board of supervisors). Its a non-binding resolution, but it does speak to his political leanings on the subject.

Further, he is in favor of limited government and has publicly stated he favors a part-time legislature. Just more evidence of his policital opinions and leanings.

When talking to your reps, ask do they support or oppose, get an affirmative answer one way or the other, don't let them be wishy-washy. The next question is will they introduce legislation to that effect? So they don't get to just play along they actually have to make progress.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast