• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Arizona passes Constitutional Carry

wewd

imported post

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gfwtbrRcA8eL1rCF9qQ56omR-HqAD9EV6OJO0

PHOENIX — The Arizona House voted Thursday to make the state the third in the nation to allow people to carry concealed weapons without a permit, sending the governor a bill that would allow Arizonans to forego background checks and classes that are now required.

The legislation, approved by the House 36-19 without discussion, would make it legal for most U.S. citizens 21 or older to carry a concealed weapon in Arizona without the permit now required. Currently, carrying a hidden firearm without a permit is a misdemeanor punishable by up to six months in jail and a fine of up to $2,500.

Sen. Russell Pearce, a Mesa Republican who sponsored the measure, said last week that he added changes requested by Gov. Jan Brewer's office, an indication that she is likely to sign it. The governor can sign or veto the measure, or allow it to become law without action.

If the legislation is enacted, Arizona would join Alaska and Vermont in not requiring permits to carry concealed weapons. Forty-five other states require permits for hidden guns, and two states — Illinois and Wisconsin — prohibit them altogether.

This is more Alaska-style carry than Vermont-style carry. Like Alaska, you will be required to surrender your 4th and 5th Amendment protections when contacted by police and must inform them you are carrying, and allow them to take custody of the firearm if they wish during the encounter.

People carrying a concealed weapon would be required to tell a police officer if asked, and the officer could temporarily take the weapon while communicating with the gun carrier.

Permits will still be available for reciprocity purposes (like Alaska) but will not be required except when carrying in places that serve alcohol for consumption on the premises.

Under the legislation, permits still could be obtained on an optional basis so Arizonans could carry concealed weapons in states with reciprocity agreements. Permits also would be required to carry weapons in bars and restaurants that serve alcohol.

This is a giant leap in the right direction for Arizona, and the nation, but AZCDL and other gun-rights groups in that state still have a lot to fight for. If only our own homegrown groups were so motivated.

I should note that the law is not yet in effect, and still must be signed by the Governor. She has all but said she will sign it. It will go into effect sometime in late July/early August from my estimates.

Gundude

imported post

Is this picture right....all the gang bangers in AZ head to Calif and all the OC'ers head to AZ. WTG AZ

wewd

imported post

To put this into perspective, it is now lawful to carry concealed in at least 21% of the landmass of the United States, not counting states like Idaho that only require a permit to CCW in incorporated cities.

With so many states passing their own versions of the Montana Firearms Freedom Act (Arizona just did last week), I think pro-freedom bills such as this will catch on elsewhere. If the people are truly concerned about protecting their rights, now is the time to act. The revolution is happening right now and California is, unfortunately, sitting it out.

coolusername2007

imported post

Definitely a move in the right direction. Good news to be sure. But what's with the automatic surrendering of one's 4A and 5A rights? How is that constitutional?

ETA: I guess it's a reasonable regulation.

wewd

coolusername2007

imported post

Seems to me like another opportunity for easy-pickin's abuse.

Example:

LEO: Do you have a gun?

Law Abiding Citizen: No.

LEO: I have reasonable suspicion you're lying to me. Assume the position.

Law abiding citizen rewarded with an illegal search of their person. Too easy.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Didn't know this was happening so soon!

Maybe now they can focus on removing the ridiculous restriction on open carry (and soon CCW w/o permit) in restaurants that serve alcohol.

Why do I need to pay a tax and take a test to be entitled to my right to live when deciding to patronize Applebee's?

wewd

imported post

I believe AZCDL is still working on getting more bills drafted to amend those restrictions. They already got rid of the ability of local governments to restrict carry in parks to permit holders with the preemption bill that was recently passed. Last year they tried to get the restaurant/bar carry ban lifted for all types of carry but could only get it for CCW permit holders at the time. They also didn't want the LEO notification requirement added to this latest bill but it was put in at the request of state LEO orgs. The fight goes on.

GWbiker

imported post

The Constitutional Carry bill isn't a "slam dunk" yet, as local medial is predicting gloom n' doom if citizens are allowed to carry a gun W/O proper training.

Then we had the "Idiot with a gun in Walmart" incident.

Gov Brewer is expected to sign the bill, BUT we still have our fingers crossed.

Gundude

imported post

GWbiker wrote:
The Constitutional Carry bill isn't a "slam dunk" yet, as local medial is predicting gloom n' doom if citizens are allowed to carry a gun W/O proper training.

Then we had the "Idiot with a gun in Walmart" incident.

Gov Brewer is expected to sign the bill, BUT we still have our fingers crossed.
There are idiots legally driving cars and killing people. Do you see my point?

wewd

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
Very tempted to move back to my native state...

Come for the gun rights, stay for the illegal immigration detainments and civil asset forfeiture. When I do finally leave my home state, I'll be making my way to New Hampshire.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

wewd wrote:
CA_Libertarian wrote:
Very tempted to move back to my native state...

Come for the gun rights, stay for the illegal immigration detainments and civil asset forfeiture. When I do finally leave my home state, I'll be making my way to New Hampshire.
I'm starting to feel that way myself. I'm also going to keep my eye on Colorado, however.