• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

School Gun Free Zone Question

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
If I were the prosecuting attorney then I would certainly copy a bunch of pages from this Wisconsin forum for the jury. School zone maps and discussions of school zones and the common awareness of the issue, and suggest that any legally armed and law abiding citizen had cause to discover the nearby school zones. Of course I-ANAL and a coward.
While I do agree that this forum is watched. I also have to say that unless everyone here is a Savant with a photographic memory, there is no way you could know every school zone in this state or even in the larger cities. There are many people out there that could read something or look at a map and forget what they saw or read 15 minutes later. It is human nature.

To say that just because someone looked at a map they knew they were in the GFSZ would be ridiculous and very difficult to prove beyond a reasonable doubt.

Just because a person is a memeber of this forum does not mean they read every post or look at every map that is posted.

It would seem to me that if the state or local government ws that intent on enforcing the laws then they would mark the curbs withing the GFSZ.

They mark them for no parking areas! Why not the GFSZ?

I would think that would bring a valid argument into the court. Sonds like entrapment to me.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
If I were the prosecuting attorney then I would certainly copy a bunch of pages from this Wisconsin forum for the jury. School zone maps and discussions of school zones and the common awareness of the issue, and suggest that any legally armed and law abiding citizen had cause to discover the nearby school zones. Of course I-ANAL and a coward.
While I do agree that this forum is watched. I also have to say that unless everyone here is a Savant with a photographic memory, there is no way you could know every school zone in this state or even in the larger cities. There are many people out there that could read something or look at a map and forget what they saw or read 15 minutes later. It is human nature.

To say that just because someone looked at a map they knew they were in the GFSZ would be ridiculous and very difficult to prove beyond a reasonable doubt.

Just because a person is a memeber of this forum does not mean they read every post or look at every map that is posted.

It would seem to me that if the state or local government ws that intent on enforcing the laws then they would mark the curbs withing the GFSZ.

I would think that would bring a valid argument into the court.
It is very difficult to watch every place my feet take me so I don't wander into a school zone. It is absolutely incredulous that any sane person would even think of this idea of a school zone to prohibit firearms within 1000 ft or even 1 ft of school property. There are so many things wrong with this thought process of our liberal politicians.

If I lived across the street from the school here in my neighborhood I would sit in a lawn chair in my front yard with my gun on during the morning and afternoon when the kids are being dropped off and picked up. Why? Because this insane law does nothing to protect anyone. I still have my gun and kids are all around me and safe as can be. My gun won't jump out of it's holster and shoot anyone. And my tax dollars are at work prohibiting me from exercising a right protected by the constitutions of Wisconsin and the U.S. Wow. Incredible.

Does this "School Zone" law of 1000 ft mean that the entire circle around the school is a "school zone"? I haven't looked at that yet. If so, then I think the police should park on EVERY road leading into or out of the "School Zone" and write speeding tickets. The speed limit is 15 mph (not posted at all by the school in my neighborhood) in a "school zone" when children are present and believe me they ARE present in the morning and afternoon on school days. How long would it take before the average person got fed up with speeding tickets by their homes on a daily basis when the school is a thousand feet away?

The more I think about this GFSZ B.S. the angrier I get.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

rcawdor57 wrote:
J.Gleason wrote:

I would think that would bring a valid argument into the court.
It is very difficult to watch every place my feet take me so I don't wander into a school zone. It is absolutely incredulous that any sane person would even think of this idea of a school zone to prohibit firearms within 1000 ft or even 1 ft of school property. There are so many things wrong with this thought process of our liberal politicians.

If I lived across the street from the school here in my neighborhood I would sit in a lawn chair in my front yard with my gun on during the morning and afternoon when the kids are being dropped off and picked up. Why? Because this insane law does nothing to protect anyone. I still have my gun and kids are all around me and safe as can be. My gun won't jump out of it's holster and shoot anyone. And my tax dollars are at work prohibiting me from exercising a right protected by the constitutions of Wisconsin and the U.S. Wow. Incredible.

Does this "School Zone" law of 1000 ft mean that the entire circle around the school is a "school zone"? I haven't looked at that yet. If so, then I think the police should park on EVERY road leading into or out of the "School Zone" and write speeding tickets. The speed limit is 15 mph (not posted at all by the school in my neighborhood) in a "school zone" when children are present and believe me they ARE present in the morning and afternoon on school days. How long would it take before the average person got fed up with speeding tickets by their homes on a daily basis when the school is a thousand feet away?

The more I think about this GFSZ B.S. the angrier I get.
Excellent Point RC,

There should be a law that the 15 MPH limit should be enforced throughout the SZ. That way it will start inconveniencing the anti gunners as well. Let them see how it feels to be infringed.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The point is a "School Zone" is a "School Zone" is a "School Zone" except when it applies to the 2nd Amendment. When it applies to the 2nd Amendment the "School Zone" is all encompassing for 1000 feet around the school property. Heck, let's have senator Kohl make it 1000 MILES. What is the difference? Wouldn't we protect more kids that way? And...by enforcing a 15 mph speed limit in all "School Zones" we once again would be protecting more kids. Right?

Everyone knows the difference between rights and privileges except our politicians. Since many and I do mean MANY people have NO IDEA what their rights AND privileges are they won't know the difference. If the 1000 foot zone around schools was always a "School Zone" even during all the times it is CLOSED then the revenue generated by enforcing the 15 mph speed limit would be wonderful! Don't you think so? You know I am being facetious here right? How many people would then get off their duffs and do something about a B.S. law that takes money from them every time they "just happen" to enter a "School Zone" and get caught exceeding the speed limit of 15 mph? If this "School Zone" law affected EVERYONE all the time instead of SPECIFIC individuals then it would not stand muster for long and be thrown out. There would be "Entrapment" stories all over the news on a daily basis and it would eventually be overturned.

:exclaim::exclaim::exclaim:

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Dustiniac wrote:
I guess I missed that in the bill of rights.
No one said anything about the bill of rights.

The point is, why don't they enforce all of the laws in the SZ?

If the did they would have to enforce the 15 MPH speed limit and that would slow everyone down including the antis.

It would infringe on their time and give them a taste of their own medicine.