• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HF2200

IA_farmboy

imported post

Being a bit anxious to see if the "shall issue" bill gets signed by the governor I go to the governor's website to see what bills have been signed lately. To my surprise I see this entry:
House File 2200, an Act relating to the carrying of a gun in or on a vehicle on a public highway and making penalties applicable.

Upon further investigation I find this:

House File 2200 - Enrolled

House File 2200

AN ACT
RELATING TO THE CARRYING OF A GUN IN OR ON A VEHICLE ON A
PUBLIC HIGHWAY AND MAKING PENALTIES APPLICABLE.

BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF IOWA:
Section 1. Section 483A.36, Code Supplement 2009, is
amended to read as follows:
483A.36 Manner of conveyance.
A person, except as permitted by law, shall not have or
carry a gun in or on a vehicle on a public highway, unless the
gun is taken down or totally contained in a securely fastened
case, and its barrels and attached magazines are unloaded.

This is a good thing, no? Why is it only now I hear about this? What are the exceptions that is referenced by "except as permitted by law"? Is a permit to carry such an exception?

Straight_Shooter

imported post

IA_farmboy wrote:
Being a bit anxious to see if the "shall issue" bill gets signed by the governor I go to the governor's website to see what bills have been signed lately. To my surprise I see this entry:
House File 2200, an Act relating to the carrying of a gun in or on a vehicle on a public highway and making penalties applicable.

Upon further investigation I find this:

House File 2200 - Enrolled

House File 2200

AN ACT
RELATING TO THE CARRYING OF A GUN IN OR ON A VEHICLE ON A
PUBLIC HIGHWAY AND MAKING PENALTIES APPLICABLE.

BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF IOWA:
Section 1. Section 483A.36, Code Supplement 2009, is
amended to read as follows:
483A.36 Manner of conveyance.
A person, except as permitted by law, shall not have or
carry a gun in or on a vehicle on a public highway, unless the
gun is taken down or totally contained in a securely fastened
case, and its barrels and attached magazines are unloaded.

This is a good thing, no? Why is it only now I hear about this? What are the exceptions that is referenced by "except as permitted by law"? Is a permit to carry such an exception?
Geez . . . I knew about it; surprised you didn't. . . came in through my "aluminum foil hat" . . reception has been pretty good lately . . . everything IGO (notice that is IGO, not the NRA and not Iowa Carry) sends out, I read. Very informative . .they cover ALL the second amendment activity in the legislature, not just the bills they are pushing.

It is a clarification of the law so that magazines that are full but detachedand in the vicinity of the gun do not constitute a loaded gun. Yes, that is a good thing. I was personally involved in a court case where a friend was prosecuted for violation of ICA 724 in this exact situation . . . empty gun, loaded mag in the gun case, case closed and secured. The prosecution was the directresult of AMBIGUOUS LAW . . . he almost spent a year in jail and lost his gun possession rights under Iowa law, but the judge, surprisingly so and to the extreme protestations of the prosecutor, instructed the jury that the loaded magazine next to a gun did not constitute a loaded gun. That, of course, is not precidentury, since this ruling was in a district court. I think the judge “smelled” an appeal, and did what he could to avoid that. My “friend” was acquitted, as technically at that point, he was inside the law. As far as I know, there has never been a higher court ruling in this state that has clarified the condition of a loaded magazine next to a gun, and the law didn’t address it, until now. In some states, a loaded mag outside of the gun constitutes a loaded weapon.

This is a good object lesson about the dangers of ambiguous, vague, poorly written law, such as the case we have with the possible CCW law that is pending the “Gov’s” signature. I know you find it very easy to brush this off (as do the Iowa Carry mermidons) as you have made clear, but real people could suffer real injustices as a result . . .

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Still the only Straight Shooter . . .

IA_farmboy

imported post

IGO notified you of this bill? Funny, I didn't get the memo. I gave them my e-mail address two or three times. I was concerned that there was a transcription error when I filled out the e-mail list form at the gun show since I didn't receive anything. I then signed up on-line too. Nothing from them so far.

I heard a rumor that IGO was not going to gun shows any more since that they figure they can get more funding by mail than buying a table at the shows. Is this true? Too bad for them, I gave them plenty of money at the show but none by mail. I like the face to face time I have with lobby groups like IGO and IowaCarry, I tend to walk away from my conversations thinking that I and the person I chatted with learned something. If it's true that I won't see IGO at future gun shows then my contributions and other support of the group may just drop to zero.

Straight_Shooter

imported post

IA_farmboy wrote:
IGO notified you of this bill? Funny, I didn't get the memo. I gave them my e-mail address two or three times. I was concerned that there was a transcription error when I filled out the e-mail list form at the gun show since I didn't receive anything. I then signed up on-line too. Nothing from them so far.

I heard a rumor that IGO was not going to gun shows any more since that they figure they can get more funding by mail than buying a table at the shows. Is this true? Too bad for them, I gave them plenty of money at the show but none by mail. I like the face to face time I have with lobby groups like IGO and IowaCarry, I tend to walk away from my conversations thinking that I and the person I chatted with learned something. If it's true that I won't see IGO at future gun shows then my contributions and other support of the group may just drop to zero.

Yes, they notified me of this bill, as well as the confiscation bill that the NRA and IowA Carry had little to no interest in stopping. I can't answer your questions about the future work ofIGO, so I copied it and forwarded it to them. If I hear back, I will post their reply. They seem to be pretty good about responding to individual concerns. I have contacted them maybe 4 or 5 times throughout the session, and always received a response within a few days time.

I have to admit though, that I find your comment about not supporting them in the future because they might not fit right into your "methods,"a bit ironic. You have posted much here about not wanting training mandates, etc, yet the only group that is going to oppose that in Iowa, as you have pointed out, is IGO.Both the NRA and Iowa Carry have a vested, selfish interest in keeping these provisions in the law.My understanding is that Iowa Gun Owners is trying to develop a way that people can get this "certification training" for little, to no charge. So issuing this thinly veiled "threat" about not supporting themseems about like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

That said, my experience with other people when they sigh up with IGO is that they immediately get added to the contact roles. I suppose a "rare something" could have happened in your case, and I would suggest that if you are sincerely interested in being informed, you should make another attempt to sign up online.

SS

IA_farmboy

imported post

I didn't intend to make a threat to Iowa Gun Owners but instead only intended to explain how I "work". If a self defense lobby group is unwilling to meet me halfway by showing up at a gun show then I have to wonder about their motivations, membership, etc. Also, I like to "feel out" any group I donate money to and the easiest way to do that is face to face. There is also a bit of quid pro quo that I desire, if they will listen to me then I will listen to them. If I like what I hear and I feel that my comments and suggestions were taken to heart then I'll open my wallet.

This is not specific to IGO but all groups that ask for my $$$. If they want my money then they have to show that they are worthy. Sending me a letter asking for my money is not something that tends to drive me to open my wallet. E-mails asking for money gets tossed, perhaps even before I finish reading it. A knock on my door or a booth at places I frequent tends to be more convincing of the efforts that people will go through to please me.

How hard can it be for Iowa Gun Owners to come up with some people willing to man a booth? Don't they get enough money from donations at the booth to cover costs? If not then isn't the goodwill and the face time worth it? I'm not expecting an answer to my questions since I don't believe anyone that can speak for IGO visits here. I wish them well in their efforts. I support the cause of constitutional carry and I appreciate the work they have done so far.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if Iowa Gun Owners wants my money then I want some input to how it is run. As good as the IGO bill was I still had some issues with it. My money comes with conditions, if they want my money then they can at least extend the courtesy of listening to my concerns. Easiest way for that to happen is show up at the Cedar Rapids gun shows. there's a good chance I'll be there with a few words and a few bucks.

With that out of the way I wish to get back on topic.

What are the exceptions that are referenced in the law?

I may find it myself in the mean time but even if I do I'd still like a second opinion if someone would be willing to offer one.

Max G

imported post

What? IGO doesn't have enough resources to have a presence at major gun shows in Iowa?

Shocked, I'm telling you, just shocked!

Straight_Shooter

imported post

Max G wrote:
What? IGO doesn't have enough resources to have a presence at major gun shows in Iowa?

Shocked, I'm telling you, just shocked!

That's Ok Maxie . . . you don't have enough resources to have a presence anywhere, and feel free to go shock yourself again!

SS