Thread: Post Office code on carrying weapons

Post imported post

39 CFR 232.1 states: "Weapons and explosives. No person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes."

What defines "official purposes"? And what is defined as a "dangerous or deadly weapon"?

Is a taser exempt from this, considering the government does not classify it as a firearm, and it's a non lethal self defense device?

Serious question here folks. Where is the line drawn?

Post imported post

At this time, the debate seems to revolve around the fact that Postal property is Federal Property which has an across-the-board ban on carrying of weapons on the property.

Recently, the parking lot, weapon secured in a private vehicle while owner inside to do business, was deemed to be exempt from the ban.

Of course, in my experience, when you are a civilian with a Taser, the DA's try to claim the Taser is a lethal weapon. The response the judge upheld for me was that the FBI deemed them non-lethal, therefor not regulated under lethal weapon laws.

I'll dig up the discussion thread if you cannot find it for yourself
    cheers - okboomer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way

Exercising my 2A Rights does NOT make me a CRIMINAL! Infringing on the exercise of those rights makes YOU one!

cheers - okboomer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way

Exercising my 2A Rights does NOT make me a CRIMINAL! Infringing on the exercise of those rights makes YOU one!

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

okboomer wrote:
    Recently, the parking lot, weapon secured in a private vehicle while owner inside to do business, was deemed to be exempt from the ban.
    Huh? Ca you cite to authority on this?

The plain language of the regulation, and the warning by the Post office spokesman says otherwise - no guns are allowed on any land controlled by the post office even in parking lots.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
    39 CFR 232.1 states: "Weapons and explosives. No person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes."

What defines "official purposes"? And what is defined as a "dangerous or deadly weapon"?

Is a taser exempt from this, considering the government does not classify it as a firearm, and it's a non lethal self defense device?

it's clear in the regulation - no guns anywhere on postal property even in your car.

Congress needs to fix this.

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    Aaron1124 wrote:

it's clear in the regulation - no guns anywhere on postal property even in your car.

Congress needs to fix this.
    It certainly would be nice if it were changed. Many regular joes who do not regularly browse the net are not going to realize that they're breaking the law. Whenever I purchase a firearm, I always get a free pamphlet regarding firearm laws, and it's only a state pamphlet.