• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Post Office code on carrying weapons

Aaron1124

imported post

39 CFR 232.1 states: "Weapons and explosives. No person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes."

What defines "official purposes"? And what is defined as a "dangerous or deadly weapon"?

Is a taser exempt from this, considering the government does not classify it as a firearm, and it's a non lethal self defense device?

Serious question here folks. Where is the line drawn?

okboomer

imported post

At this time, the debate seems to revolve around the fact that Postal property is Federal Property which has an across-the-board ban on carrying of weapons on the property.

Recently, the parking lot, weapon secured in a private vehicle while owner inside to do business, was deemed to be exempt from the ban.

Of course, in my experience, when you are a civilian with a Taser, the DA's try to claim the Taser is a lethal weapon. The response the judge upheld for me was that the FBI deemed them non-lethal, therefor not regulated under lethal weapon laws.

I'll dig up the discussion thread if you cannot find it for yourself :lol:

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

okboomer wrote:
Recently, the parking lot, weapon secured in a private vehicle while owner inside to do business, was deemed to be exempt from the ban.
Huh? Ca you cite to authority on this?

The plain language of the regulation, and the warning by the Post office spokesman says otherwise - no guns are allowed on any land controlled by the post office even in parking lots.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
39 CFR 232.1 states: "Weapons and explosives. No person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes."

What defines "official purposes"? And what is defined as a "dangerous or deadly weapon"?

Is a taser exempt from this, considering the government does not classify it as a firearm, and it's a non lethal self defense device?

it's clear in the regulation - no guns anywhere on postal property even in your car.

Congress needs to fix this.

Aaron1124

imported post

Mike wrote:
Aaron1124 wrote:

it's clear in the regulation - no guns anywhere on postal property even in your car.

Congress needs to fix this.
It certainly would be nice if it were changed. Many regular joes who do not regularly browse the net are not going to realize that they're breaking the law. Whenever I purchase a firearm, I always get a free pamphlet regarding firearm laws, and it's only a state pamphlet.