• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2A march April, 19

steveman01

imported post

For those of you who may not know about the nation wide OC march on april, 19, just google it. I think this would be the perfect opportunity for Alabamians to show there disgustfor the "public demonstration" laws as well as everything else. For those of you who don't feel comfortable fighting for your freedom and god given rights, sorry for wasting your time with this post and feel free not to reply, for this is meant for the true patriots.

-"For these are the times that try mens souls" -Thomas Pain 1776

Is not the motto "We dare defend out rights"?

It's time to stop the whining and do something. Go ahead call me a radical a terrorist or whatever you like for I am proud to bear the titles that king george gave the founders. Personally im willing to put the militia's (the people)immunity to the test. It'll be just like Lexington and concord (hence the date) only this time better covered by the press, and hopefully no one gets hurt.Theres no reason anyone should but then againwe really can't trust those dirty bureaucrats now can we? For those who think we can, just remember RubyRidge, Waco, and most recent "hutarees".On a side note I think the ability of a judge to serve a life term is bull. Heck the pres. only gets 4yrs. Anywho i'll leave yall with one question.

What would the founders do? -especially Jefferson (my favorite).

Brimstone Baritone

imported post

If you're going to OC at a public demonstration (especially one challenging the public demonstration law) just be sure to have a lawyer on retainer...

steveman01

imported post

well we gotta do something, besides if thousands show up then what happens? we all get arrested with our tails between our legs our we put our foot down and say NO! and there you have lex and concord all over again on the same day. I mean com'on people don't we know what started the Revolutionary war? Gun Rights. the first shot fired over gun rights. I think its absurd that our "supreme court" has not figured out yet that its a civil right.:banghead:That would be enough evidence for any common folk, much less the fact that its in "Bill of Rights" and ends with "shall not be infringed". Heck we got rid of slavery(technically not) and segregation but guns?

speaking of which, any news on the Chicago case? I haven't heard of any, but i hear that they will "rule" on whether or not it is a civil right. If not byby guns. (this means war), or it is and no more taxes, other infringements, and hello machine guns and RPG's!!!:celebrateapologies for the ranting but i take freedom seriously.

steveman01

imported post

sure I can't be within a 1000 feet of a demonstration but what if I am the demonstration? or do we just demonstrate a 1000 feet from unarmed demonstrator's. If not then would an oc event like a picnic or whatever be a demonstration and therefore unlawful? Sounds like a stupid and useless law to me.

Any one up for it? If so where?

eye95

imported post

If there were thousands OCing, there would be a problem for the courts trying to enforce the law.

Because of the law, there won't be thousands. The number will be very manageable. If you are one of the dozens, be prepared for some court time, a gun-related conviction, loss of your CPL (if you have one), and, depending on the severity of your conviction, loss of your right to carry in any way.

Um...NO.

The best demonstration of OC is legal day-to-day carry, most of it going unnoticed, a few instances making the news in a ho-hum way. This will result in mainstream acceptance.

In-your-face demonstrations will turn the public off and hurt the cause.

acrimsontide

imported post

steveman01 wrote:
Sounds like a stupid and useless law to me.

Any one up for it? If so where?
The law, as you put it, may be stupid and useless, however it is the law. A public demonstration is one of the few places that Alabama residents cannot legally carry with a permit. To demonstrate against that law while armed is not going to help, only harm and will likely result in arrests, fines, loss of permits for those demonstrators who have them, and possible jail time. In my humble opinion, a public demonstration while armed is a very bad idea and one which I would not recommend nor one that I would participate in.As someone suggested earlier, those who decide to participate should probably have their lawyer waiting by the phone. No flame is intended by my comments, just my opinion.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Of course if you are participating in the TN, or GA protests you are outside the
1000 ft rule in 99.99% of the state.:idea: So carry the correct flyers with you.

Oops, edited for pressing post to soon.....
While they can't arrest 1000's, they could start up a nice gun registration database
before letting you go. So carry fingerprinted ones only.
IANAL BIAABB!

steveman01

imported post

As long as we are the "safe distance" from unarmed protestors everything should be cool right? How different would this country be if the founders just gave up there guns when the redcoats asked for them?

eye95

imported post

The law specifically requires a distance of 1000 ft. Of course, if pro-OC demonstrations are occurring 1001 ft away, and you are OCing with a few others also OCing, don't be surprised of the LEO considers your gathering part of the demonstration and invites you into his back seat.

Hollowpoint38

A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama
imported post

eye95 wrote:
The law specifically requires a distance of 1000 ft. Of course, if pro-OC demonstrations are occurring 1001 ft away, and you are OCing with a few others also OCing, don't be surprised of the LEO considers your gathering part of the demonstration and invites you into his back seat.
I'm all for a march but I will not be armed. Until the public demonstration law is over turned, it's still a law. I think we need to start a petition. I tried to start one but can't figure out all the info we need. Anyone up for it?

Brimstone Baritone

imported post

Hollowpoint38 wrote:
eye95 wrote:
I'm all for a march but I will not be armed. Until the public demonstration law is over turned, it's still a law. I think we need to start a petition. I tried to start one but can't figure out all the info we need. Anyone up for it?
Well... IANAL, but if you believe a law to be unconstitutional or otherwise invalid, you are not under obligation to follow it*. Also, unless I read it wrong, the police have to inform you that there is a demonstration in progress and ask you to leave. It is only if you don't leave or disarm that you are breaking the demonstration law.

Of course, they will still arrest you even if you don't believe it's legal, and the will probably take the subject of the protest as prima facie(sp?) evidence that you were already aware of the demonstration... That's why I said have a lawyer on standby. ;)

*ETA: No one is bound to obey an unconstitutional law and no courts are bound to enforce it.” Sixteenth American Jurisprudence, Second Edition, Section 177. (late 2nd Ed. Section 256)

eye95

imported post

mcdonalk wrote:
Hollowpoint38 wrote:
eye95 wrote:
Well... IANAL, but if you believe a law to be unconstitutional or otherwise invalid, you are not under obligation to follow it*. Also, unless I read it wrong, the police have to inform you that there is a demonstration in progress and ask you to leave. It is only if you don't leave or disarm that you are breaking the demonstration law.

Of course, they will still arrest you even if you don't believe it's legal, and the will probably take the subject of the protest as prima facie(sp?) evidence that you were already aware of the demonstration... That's why I said have a lawyer on standby. ;)

*ETA: No one is bound to obey an unconstitutional law and no courts are bound to enforce it.” Sixteenth American Jurisprudence, Second Edition, Section 177. (late 2nd Ed. Section 256)
The officer warning is only necessary if you are within 1000 feet. If you are participating in a demonstration, you can be arrested without warning. In the scenario I set forth, the LEO would be operating under the assumption that the three OCers are part of a smaller demonstration apart from the main block.

This may not stand up in court. However, unless you are willing to be part of a test case and run the risk of the courts not agreeing with your take on what is or is not constitutional, I recommend steering very clear of any demonstrations on 4/19 while carrying, and especially avoiding congregating with other OCers anywhere near a demonstration.

acrimsontide

imported post

steveman01 wrote:
How different would this country be if the founders just gave up there guns when the redcoats asked for them?

Very Different BUT in this situation, the law against carrying a public demonstrations, no one is trying to disarm the public.(There were also many other issues with the English Redcoats besides guns)There are better ways of getting a law changed than an "in your face" direct violation of that law. Everyone has the freewill to make their own choices, but be prepared to face some serious legal issues on this one. Again, no flame intended and ultimately the choice is yours.

acrimsontide

imported post

The officer warning is only necessary if you are within 1000 feet. If you are participating in a demonstration, you can be arrested without warning. In the scenario I set forth, the LEO would be operating under the assumption that the three OCers are part of a smaller demonstration apart from the main block.

This may not stand up in court. However, unless you are willing to be part of a test case and run the risk of the courts not agreeing with your take on what is or is not constitutional, I recommend steering very clear of any demonstrations on 4/19 while carrying, and especially avoiding congregating with other OCers anywhere near a demonstration.
Very good advice.

Hollowpoint38

imported post

mcdonalk wrote:
Hollowpoint38 wrote:
eye95 wrote:

The problem with that: What if the courts decide to say it's not unconstitutional? You just gave away your privileges to carry at all. If the law is unconstitutional, I am ready to stand up and fight it, but I will not be 1 of 10 guys who gets arrested and fights the system for 2-3 years. Especially if we are going to lose.Now, I've already said what we need to do. START A PETITION! I will start it, if someone could help me out! I can't go at it alone! Here is what we need for the petition:

1) A sound argument to fight the law. Worded in a way a DA can't tear it apart in 5 minutes.

2) List of where the petition should be sent. Who can make it happen once received?

3) How many signatures would be required?

4) A few peopleto actively try to get signatures.

If anyone is willing to help me, PM me and let's get the long, boring process out of the way! :p

If we break the law in order to fix the law, even if it's an illegal law, we are no better than the corrupt politicians. We need to use the law to fight the gov.

Hollowpoint38

imported post

We need to make a new thread and have a list of all the Alabama businesses that will not allow OC. Like the example below. THIS IS A REAL SITUATION BELOW!

SportPlex Gym ~ Hoover ~ New Corporate Manager said, "No guns of any kind allowed"

I've made enough threads for now, but if someone want to do it... go ahead.

A massive list of anti gun companies. Don't go there, don't let friends or family go there. Maybe after they lose a wave of customers, things could change!

(I did not come up with the idea itself to make such a thread. Jonathon Norris, myself, and another state thread basically put it all together)

smttysmth02gt

imported post

Hollowpoint38 wrote:
We need to make a new thread and have a list of all the Alabama businesses that will not allow OC. Like the example below. THIS IS A REAL SITUATION BELOW!

SportPlex Gym ~ Hoover ~ New Corporate Manager said, "No guns of any kind allowed"

I've made enough threads for now, but if someone want to do it... go ahead.

A massive list of anti gun companies. Don't go there, don't let friends or family go there. Maybe after they lose a wave of customers, things could change!

(I did not come up with the idea itself to make such a thread. Jonathon Norris, myself, and another state thread basically put it all together)
Dude what a fantastic idea. Someone needs to start a thread, and sticky it in here for "Places of business where guns are prohibited".

As far as the march, super bad idea, and even worse idea for AL people.