• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Oil

OPS MARINE

imported post

Hoppes #9. I use it because it keeps the weapon clean and well lubed. My particular weapon doesn't utilize that much oil anyway, so bottles last me quite a while. I do clean and oil about twice a month.

M

McX

imported post

shut my mouth! machine oil, clean off with compressed air. it's my 'industrial use' gun. didn't get an O.S.H.A. handbook with it though.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I keep my carry gunvery lightly oiled to minimize dust and lint collection.

I'll give it a good oiling on certain parts just before going to the range.

I have learned not to use the little "pinpoint oiler" sold at Radio Shack. I thought the little tube tip would dispense just the right amount of oil onto a cleaning patch. The label even specified guns. Ha! Liars (whoever wrote the label). Its got teflon or something in it. It gets gummy in a day or so. Probably a Red Chinese plot to inconvenience American gun owners. :)

eye95

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
I never use an "oily" oil in any of my carry guns because it can pick up lint and dirty, and impart an oily residue on clothes and such. I used either a quality dry lube or CRC silicone spray for them.
More detail, please. You have piqued my interest. When, where, how much? What exactly is dry lube? Do you clean the handgun with dry lube? Or, just apply it afterward? Do you do anything before shooting at the range?

Sorry if these questions sound stupid. I am totally ignorant on dry lube.

okboomer

imported post

Since I have a lot of guns with wood stocks, I use Clenzoil ... it is very good for the wood and is good for the metal ... light oil with a final wipe down w/cotton cloth for carry. Rem Oil in a can for at the range and since we are in a very dry/dusty area, will shoot enough to drip off the gun (not inside the barrel) to prevent grit build up.

I clean after every range trip and a light wiping with light oil on the cloth during the week as I carry. Since I am in a CC only state, I do have to contend with lint at times, but that is part of dressing with a gun :cool:

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Gun Butter is my favorite lubricant. It stays put and has a precision applicator so you can get it exactly where you need/want it, it's effectiveness doesn't diminish in adverse condition and a little bit goes a very long way. Sigs usually like to run wet but with Gun Butter I need no more lube than I use on my XD and have over 3000 rounds with not a single failure.

rodbender

imported post

Hoppe's #9 is a solvent not a lubricant. I use 5w30 Mobil 1 synthetic, just a very light coat after cleaning, which is about once a week, if I don't shoot it. I clean it with a good spraying of Berryman's brake parts cleaner (part #1420). It's the same exact formula as Gun Scrubber then compressed air. The bore stays dry.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

eye95 wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
I never use an "oily" oil in any of my carry guns because it can pick up lint and dirty, and impart an oily residue on clothes and such. I used either a quality dry lube or CRC silicone spray for them.
More detail, please. You have piqued my interest. When, where, how much? What exactly is dry lube? Do you clean the handgun with dry lube? Or, just apply it afterward? Do you do anything before shooting at the range?

Sorry if these questions sound stupid. I am totally ignorant on dry lube.
I had also mentioned CRC silicone spray which is a fine product for carry guns, too.

There are several companies which sell dry lubes and the one I like best, and get from a local well received gun shop, is Hornady's One Shot Gun Cleaner and Dry Lube. I really like this product because it does impart a thin film on parts and still minimizes the collect of lint, grit, and dirt. Here's a link I quickly found - you might want to check out a few more links for more info.

http://www.dealerease.net/catalog/product.asp?ret_id=1052639&pid=2807

I also use this on other guns which I don't carry because I keep them in a gun safe in my basement where the temperature and humidity is not a problem.

Oops, I just noticed that you had a few more questions.

I don't drench my guns in any lubricant and with this dry lube, I am careful how and where I use it because I do want to minimize any negative effects of overuse. I most always carry a Glock 23 so the trigger bar, cruciform, connector, and slide rails get a light shot of the dry lube. As for cleaning the gun, no.. I just wipe it down with an old T-shirt which I have used over the years for this (it has an ever-so-slight lubricant residue - not enough to "oily" the gun's surface but enough to remove finger marks). Before I clean my guns, I wash my hands to remove any skin oil or anything else I don't want on my guns. And I always clean my centerfires after a trip to the range then carefully wipe they dry from solvents and apply the dry lube for storage or carry use.

As for doing anything before going to the range, with a carry gun, I inspect the barrel just to make sure it is lint and dirt free and if needed, I run a dry patch down it.