• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Forest Grove incident

astraflyr

imported post

http://www.forestgrovenewstimes.com/news/story.php?story_id=127077009134675800

Forest Grove man scares off attacker with warning shot
Man fires round after drunk assailant pins him on the ground
By Christian Gaston

The Forest Grove News-Times, Apr 8, 2010

A 55-year-old Forest Grove man narrowly escaped a brawl with a drunk 21-year-old from Cornelius early Wednesday morning by firing a warning shot from his pistol while he was pinned, Police said.
John McKnight was walking his dog on the 1700 block of Elm Street about a half-hour after midnight Wednesday when he was accosted by a trio of inebriated young men.

McKnight said the three men assailed him with insults and continued to threaten him. McKnight then drew a .38 caliber pistol and told the trio to back down.

Police say Michael W. Ryan III, a Cornelius man with no fixed address, then said he didn't believe the gun was loaded, and began to assault McKnight.

Police say that Ryan kicked and choked McKnight, who struggled to free himself. In the midst of the struggle, Ryan bit McKnight's finger.

"He bit his finger pretty severely," said Capt. Aaron Ashbaugh, spokesman for the Forest Grove Police Department.

McKnight told police that Ryan had him in a sleeper hold and he felt that he was losing consciousness when he fired a shot from his revolver near Ryan's head.

Only then did the young man back off, Police said.

Officers were on the scene shortly afterward, responding to a number of 9-1-1 calls made during the incident. One of the two men walking with Ryan told police he also called 9-1-1.

Ryan was arrested on charges of Assault IV, strangulation and disorderly conduct and was booked in the Washington County Jail.

McKnight, who suffered minor injuries from the assault, possessed a valid concealed weapon permit.

Drawing the weapon on verbal threats. Hmmm. Glad it all worked out okay in theend.

Ironbar

imported post

astraflyr wrote:
Drawing the weapon on verbal threats. Hmmm. Glad it all worked out okay in theend.

Ability, Opportunity, Jeopardy.

I would have drawn on his as well, or at the very least drawn my weapon and had it at the ready.

Hef

imported post

astraflyr wrote:

He could easily say that he feared imminent death or serious injury. He was also faced with a disparity of force. Combined, he had sufficient justification for using lethal force (or the threat thereof).

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

astraflyr wrote:
Since they aren't quoted, we don't know what the verbal threats were, but I think we can safely speculate that the thugs did not threaten to follow him home and stomp on his daffodils or kick over his garden gnome.

Weave

imported post

3 against one is easily lethal force unless he was 7 foot tall versus athree 10 year olds.... He was clearlyjustified in pulling his firearm.

astraflyr

imported post

Ok, good responses. Now I do have to laugh about the headline of "warning shot". While passing out I do not think I would be able to doanything other than just pull the trigger in the hopes of the noise scaring off the assailant. Aiming would be a bonus. Plus I don't think walking the dog after midnight is the safest behavior, but to each his own.