Thread: Judge urges citizens to arm themselves

Post imported post

Amid cuts, Ohio judge tells citizens to carry guns
    By The Associated Press

Friday, April 9, 2010 at 8 a.m.

JEFFERSON, Ohio — A judge in an Ohio county is urging citizens to be vigilant and carry firearms because of budget cuts to the sheriff's department.

Ashtabula (ash-tuh-BYOO'-luh) County Common Pleas Judge Alfred Mackey tells Cleveland's WKYC-TV that the cuts mean citizens should arm themselves and watch out for their neighbors.

The northeast Ohio county is the state's largest in area and is mostly rural. With deputies assigned to transport prisoners and serve warrants, one radio car is assigned to patrol 720 square miles.

Sheriff William Johnson has threatened to sue county commissioners to have some of his department's funding restored.

Post imported post

Good advice, yer honor, but I'm way aheadof you on this one.Now if you can get some Ca politicians to listen.
    A citizen may not be required to offer a ―good and substantial reason-- why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The rights existence is all the reason he needs.

Post imported post

Gundude wrote:
    Good advice, yer honor, but I'm way aheadof you on this one.Now if you can get some Ca politicians to listen.
    Not so much the politicians, but just the people here. Too many simply don't care about their rights or are used to feeling that infringement is good and norm.
    Gun control isn't about guns -- it is about control.

Regular Member coolusername2007's Avatar

Post imported post

Sounds like some good ole' fashioned common sense to me...regardless of any budget concerns.
    "Why should judicial precedent bind the nation if the Constitution itself does not?" -- Mark Levin

Post imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:
    Sounds like some good ole' fashioned common sense to me...regardless of any budget concerns.
    That's what we consider it here in AZ.

-MH
    $2 Bill - Calling Card of the 2A Movement
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
    Seriously, who is John Galt?
    Vires et honestas

Post imported post

Sorry, we're in California. We thoroughly screen our politicians to ensure there's not even the slightest trace of common sense before elections. Admittedly, sometimes one gets through, but we keep it to a bare minimum.

On a more serious note, grats on getting constitutional carry signed off in Az.

On the news last night there was an interesting piece about how budget cutbacks are reducing the staff of the police department significantly. I can't wait for McDonald v. Chicago to wrap up and (hopefully) bring real OC to this state.

Post imported post

Thanks, it's been quite a battle!
    There were some tradeoffs, but it clears up the gray area of open carry in vehicles and concealed carry by non ccw citizens.

Lots of letters, emails and phone calls went into getting this passed!
    I can't stress enough how important it is for people to get involved in the process.
    Politicians only care about keeping their jobs, if you let them know that you're watching how they vote and will get rid of them, they start to pay attention!

We owe a TON to AZCDL for pushing these bills, organizing voters, getting the word out and bugging the politicians.
    Without them, we wouldn't have the laws we have now!

Keep up the good fight!

-MH
    $2 Bill - Calling Card of the 2A Movement
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
    Seriously, who is John Galt?
    Vires et honestas

Post imported post

Hello Arizona,

Congrats to all of you and thanks for all of your perserverance. You have been good stewards of the open carry image in your state. Please pass the torch to Utah cause I am on my way. Or I wonder if Grand Dad would rent me that house in Phoenix.Enjoy your newly restored freedom.

Sincerely, Defensor

Post imported post

March Hare wrote:
    Thanks, it's been quite a battle!
    There were some tradeoffs, but it clears up the gray area of open carry in vehicles and concealed carry by non ccw citizens.

Lots of letters, emails and phone calls went into getting this passed!
    I can't stress enough how important it is for people to get involved in the process.
    Politicians only care about keeping their jobs, if you let them know that you're watching how they vote and will get rid of them, they start to pay attention!

We owe a TON to AZCDL for pushing these bills, organizing voters, getting the word out and bugging the politicians.
    Without them, we wouldn't have the laws we have now!

Keep up the good fight!-MH
    A good time for every gun owner in Arizona to join AZCDL.

It'll be money well spent.

Post imported post

yup i agree with the ohio judge people who have the right to own guns should be able to carry, and yet it's the gangsters and thugs that carry and hardly get scrutinized.