• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Judge urges citizens to arm themselves

Edward Peruta

imported post

Amid cuts, Ohio judge tells citizens to carry guns
By The Associated Press

Friday, April 9, 2010 at 8 a.m.

JEFFERSON, Ohio — A judge in an Ohio county is urging citizens to be vigilant and carry firearms because of budget cuts to the sheriff's department.

Ashtabula (ash-tuh-BYOO'-luh) County Common Pleas Judge Alfred Mackey tells Cleveland's WKYC-TV that the cuts mean citizens should arm themselves and watch out for their neighbors.

The northeast Ohio county is the state's largest in area and is mostly rural. With deputies assigned to transport prisoners and serve warrants, one radio car is assigned to patrol 720 square miles.

Sheriff William Johnson has threatened to sue county commissioners to have some of his department's funding restored.

Gundude

imported post

Good advice, yer honor, but I'm way aheadof you on this one.Now if you can get some Ca politicians to listen.

demnogis

imported post

Gundude wrote:
Good advice, yer honor, but I'm way aheadof you on this one.Now if you can get some Ca politicians to listen.
Not so much the politicians, but just the people here. Too many simply don't care about their rights or are used to feeling that infringement is good and norm.

NightOwl

imported post

Sorry, we're in California. We thoroughly screen our politicians to ensure there's not even the slightest trace of common sense before elections. Admittedly, sometimes one gets through, but we keep it to a bare minimum.

On a more serious note, grats on getting constitutional carry signed off in Az.

On the news last night there was an interesting piece about how budget cutbacks are reducing the staff of the police department significantly. I can't wait for McDonald v. Chicago to wrap up and (hopefully) bring real OC to this state.

March Hare

imported post

Thanks, it's been quite a battle!
There were some tradeoffs, but it clears up the gray area of open carry in vehicles and concealed carry by non ccw citizens.

Lots of letters, emails and phone calls went into getting this passed!
I can't stress enough how important it is for people to get involved in the process.
Politicians only care about keeping their jobs, if you let them know that you're watching how they vote and will get rid of them, they start to pay attention!

We owe a TON to AZCDL for pushing these bills, organizing voters, getting the word out and bugging the politicians.
Without them, we wouldn't have the laws we have now!

Keep up the good fight!

-MH

DEFENSOR

imported post

Hello Arizona,

Congrats to all of you and thanks for all of your perserverance. You have been good stewards of the open carry image in your state. Please pass the torch to Utah cause I am on my way. Or I wonder if Grand Dad would rent me that house in Phoenix.Enjoy your newly restored freedom.

Sincerely, Defensor

GWbiker

imported post

March Hare wrote:

Thanks, it's been quite a battle!
There were some tradeoffs, but it clears up the gray area of open carry in vehicles and concealed carry by non ccw citizens.

Lots of letters, emails and phone calls went into getting this passed!
I can't stress enough how important it is for people to get involved in the process.
Politicians only care about keeping their jobs, if you let them know that you're watching how they vote and will get rid of them, they start to pay attention!

We owe a TON to AZCDL for pushing these bills, organizing voters, getting the word out and bugging the politicians.
Without them, we wouldn't have the laws we have now!

Keep up the good fight!-MH

A good time for every gun owner in Arizona to join AZCDL.

It'll be money well spent.