• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Questions about Churchill and surrounding counties

MamaKennedy

imported post

I'm planning on visiting the area for a few days and would like to know how OC is accepted.

Do the Sheriffs and local PDs treat OCing like a something that should be against the law, or are they going to see me as just another regular citizen?
Are there any places that NV law makes GFZs that I should know about?

wrightme

imported post

MamaKennedy wrote:
I'm planning on visiting the area for a few days and would like to know how OC is accepted.

Do the Sheriffs and local PDs treat OCing like a something that should be against the law, or are they going to see me as just another regular citizen?
Are there any places that NV law makes GFZs that I should know about?
I live in Churchill County. the local government even willingly repealed a city ordinance recently that dealt with OC downtown. The DA is a CC instructor.

It is not common, but I have not heard of ANYONE getting hassled in Fallon.

Schools are GFZ by NRS, government buildingsalsohave restrictions. More info is in the handout created by Felid, search this forum.

MamaKennedy

imported post

I know school zones are GFZ...does NV enforce the 1000 foot zone?

In CA they actually make you lock the firearm up in a case anytime you are going to go through a school zone, but here in Idaho you can still carry on school grounds if you have written permission form the school board or you are just doing a drop off/pick up. In Idaho there is no issue in driving/walking past a school while open carrying...I just want to make sure I understand everything and adjust my habits before hand.

wrightme - May I send you an email?

Nevada carrier

imported post

In order to be charged for violating the 1000 foot rule, the police would have to turn the charges over to a federal prosecutor and you would have to face the charges in federal court.

the complex I live on is completely encompassed by a 1000 foot school zone, so while technically when I walk off the property OC I'm in violation of federal law, however I doubt the charges would be supported as the 1000 foot rule would effectively nullify my second amendment rights. I don't own a car so when I'm walking, I only walk on the sidewalk opposite the school and only when taking an alternate rout is unreasonably inconvenient.

It is unreasonable to expect people to plan their day around the location of every school, day care, or childcare facility that they may happen upon while carrying out their lives. Just pay attention to the ones that you can't claim you weren't ware of or could have easily avoided.

A friend of mine here in Las Vegas has been in the process of opening a gun store for over a year. after he attained is FFL but before he has been able to open the doors to the storefront he's already been leasing, someone opened a day care/kindergarten facility. The feds sent him a letter stating that he was in violation of the GFSZ. After further investigation, It was decided that because he was there first, it was up to the school to become aware of the special use permit holders and the nature of their business before opening for business. So those laws are not without a measure of reasonable interpretation.

wrightme

imported post

MamaKennedy wrote:
I know school zones are GFZ...does NV enforce the 1000 foot zone?

In CA they actually make you lock the firearm up in a case anytime you are going to go through a school zone, but here in Idaho you can still carry on school grounds if you have written permission form the school board or you are just doing a drop off/pick up. In Idaho there is no issue in driving/walking past a school while open carrying...I just want to make sure I understand everything and adjust my habits before hand.

wrightme - May I send you an email?
Sure.

Or, you can contact me as webmaster of http://www.stillwaterfirearms.org/
Links on many pages.

varminter22

imported post

I think wrightme summed it up quite nicely!

There are a few of us that OC here in Churchill County. But not in great numbers.

Although I usually prefer concealed carry, I personally have not been "hasseled" when openly carrying.

MamaKennedy

imported post

I usually open carry at home and around town here in Idaho, and sometimes CC. But, after having OCed in a few other states and had some less than pleasant experiences I just want to make sure that I know the particulars of the area I'm planning to go to.

Most of the time when I do OC no one notices cause I have my kids with me...they are the best concealment you could wish for:)