• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about who can be armed in a Federal Court

Bader

imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
Bader wrote:
By U.S. Law, who may be armed while inside the chambers of a Federal Supreme Court?
Well, first, before we can cite some law, we must know just what jurisdiction you mean. There is only one "Federal Supreme Court" but it is known more usually as The Supreme Court of the United States or SCOTUS.
That's what I meant. Is there any way a citizen would be justified in carrying in there?

Aaron1124

imported post

Bader wrote:
Bader wrote:
By U.S. Law, who may be armed while inside the chambers of a Federal Supreme Court?
Well, first, before we can cite some law, we must know just what jurisdiction you mean. There is only one "Federal Supreme Court" but it is known more usually as The Supreme Court of the United States or SCOTUS.
That's what I meant. Is there any way a citizen would be justified in carrying in there?
I remember reading the US Code

§930. Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities
1111, 1112, 1113, and 1117.

(d) Subsection (a) shall not apply to—

(1) the lawful performance of official duties by an officer, agent, or employee of the United States, a State, or a political subdivision thereof, who is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of any violation of law;

(2) the possession of a firearm or other dangerous weapon by a Federal official or a member of the Armed Forces if such possession is authorized by law; or

(3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.

(e) (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal court facility, or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 2 years, or both.

(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to conduct which is described in paragraph (1) or (2) of subsection

(d).
(f) Nothing in this section limits the power of a court of the United States to punish for contempt or to promulgate rules or orders regulating, restricting, or prohibiting the possession of weapons within any building housing such court or any of its proceedings, or upon any grounds appurtenant to such building.

(g) As used in this section:

(1) The term “Federal facility” means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties.

(2) The term “dangerous weapon” means a weapon, device, instrument, material, or substance, animate or inanimate, that is used for, or is readily capable of, causing death or serious bodily injury, except that such term does not include a pocket knife with a blade of less than 21/2 inches in length.

(3) The term “Federal court facility” means the courtroom, judges’ chambers, witness rooms, jury deliberation rooms, attorney conference rooms, prisoner holding cells, offices of the court clerks, the United States attorney, and the United States marshal, probation and parole offices, and adjoining corridors of any court of the United States.

(h) Notice of the provisions of subsections (a) and (b) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal facility, and notice of subsection (e) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal court facility, and no person shall be convicted of an offense under subsection (a) or (e) with respect to a Federal facility if such notice is not so posted at such facility, unless such person had actual notice of subsection (a) or (e), as the case may be.

eye95

imported post

(3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.
"Incident to hunting"??? Who would they be hunting? Lawyers? Isn't that illegal?

Aaron1124

imported post

eye95 wrote:
"Incident to hunting"??? Who would they be hunting? Lawyers? Isn't that illegal?
LOL I wondered that, too... interesting.

Out of curiosity, are Justices of the U.S. Supreme able to be armed? Or only commissioned law enforcement?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

eye95 wrote:
"Incident to hunting"???  Who would they be hunting?  Lawyers?  Isn't that illegal?
Somehow I don't think the Supreme Court was the "Federal facility" they had in mind when they were thinking of plausible hunting exemptions. :lol:

NightOwl

imported post

eye95 wrote:
It's not a question of is it illegal, but rather...should it be?

Aaron1124

imported post

I suppose the OP could also go to the US Supreme Court while OCing and see find out first hand which Federal Agent protects the building.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
I suppose the OP could also go to the US Supreme Court while OCing and see find out first hand which Federal Agent protects the building.
I imagine that the response would not be singular.

Yata hey

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Bader wrote:
Bader wrote:
How would you even get there? DC is one big GunFreeZone despite Heller.

9MM Owner

imported post

NightOwl wrote:
eye95 wrote:
It's not a question of is it illegal, but rather...should it be?
When and who said: 'First thing we do is kill all the lawyers" (If I'm correct). Sounds like a good reason for self defense in a court room or the Federal Supreme Court.