• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is this legal? town ordinance

autosurgeon

imported post

Sec. 22-28. Firearms and other weapons; fireworks.
It shall be unlawful for any person, except a police officer or other peace officer, to bring into or have in his possession in any park or recreation area:
(1) Any pistol or revolver or objects upon which loaded or blank cartridges may be used. Official starters, at authorized track and field events, are excepted from this restriction;
(2) Any rifle, shotgun, BB gun, airgun, spring gun, slingshot, bow, or other weapon in which the propelling force is gunpowder, a spring, or air, without first having obtained a written permit from the director for possessing same; or
(3) Have in his possession or set off any fireworks. Permits may be given for conducting properly supervised fireworks in designated park areas.
(Code 1972, § 20.510; Ord. No. 135, § 10.01, eff. 5-4-1981)
State Law References: Firearms and weapons, MCL 750.222 et seq.; fireworks, MCL 750.243a et seq.

The parts in red are unenforceable due to preemption and should be removed.

FatboyCykes

imported post

gettysburg wrote:
So amend rather than repeal?
Not really up to you, they will deal with it as they see fit. Most likely they will amend out the unenforceable parts rather than repealing the whole of the statute. Or add a little ditty like; except as otherwise allowed by law.

Kimberguy

imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
gettysburg wrote:
So amend rather than repeal?
Not really up to you, they will deal with it as they see fit. Most likely they will amend out the unenforceable parts rather than repealing the whole of the statute. Or add a little ditty like; except as otherwise allowed by law.
that is just misleading. one might think, oh, well i guess that would be police officers. amend to strike the unenforcables is what i would try for.... but yet.... who I am?

Kimberguy! thats who!

ok i havnt slept in 37.5 hours

good night