• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Campus Safety Magazine - Open carry legal on Michigan college campuses

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.campussafetymagazine.com/News/?newsID=3964

SNIP

"The group discussed rising and falling enrollment trends, [and] challenges with Michigan gun laws that allow open carry on campus."

--

See also commentary on this article at http://virginiashootingsportsassociation.blogspot.com/2010/04/campus-safety-magazine-podcast.html
by the Virginia Sports Shooting Association:

. . .

The Open Carry discussion started at the 595 mark of the podcast (there is a counter that rolls as the audio plays). The Moderator asked for the "top concerns" on the campuses as they started to close out the podcast and she started with Sgt. Chaney. He stated that the top concern in Michigan (note he did not just say his campus) was open carry.

It is such a concern that we brought the prosecutor in within the last couple of weeks for a Q & A session on it. It's a concern because we have nothing in place in Michigan to prevent an individual from walking across our campus with a weapon. So, we're trying to get some type of answer on that or maybe something in place to address that in the near future.
I would note that even if there was something in place, it would not deter a criminal from coming on campus with a firearm if he was intent on harming one or more individuals. . . .

Michigander

imported post

Oh my God!!! Responsible adults legally carrying weapons among other responsible adults! The horrors!!!:what::what::what:

apjonas

imported post

Notice how the moderator effortlessly (ignorantly?) switched from open to concealed carry.

I should note that the constitutional corporate universities (Michigan, Michigan State and Wayne State) are not Mott Community College. Open carry on one of those campuses is ill-advised.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

apjonas wrote:
Notice how the moderator effortlessly (ignorantly?) switched from open to concealed carry.

I should note that the constitutional corporate universities (Michigan, Michigan State and Wayne State) are not Mott Community College.  Open carry on one of those campuses is ill-advised.

U of Michigan has an (enforceable) ordinance against carry on their properties. 10-90 days in jail and/or $50 fine.

Universities are not listed as a preempted "local unit of government."

apjonas

imported post

I think I was making that point as regards the "Big Three" - as to other state colleges, the law isn't clear, so explicit legislaiton may be useful. I still think it is going to be problematic apply such a law to UM, MSU and WSU. Although they can (as MSU) acquiesce to it.

zigziggityzoo wrote:
apjonas wrote:

I should note that the constitutional corporate universities (Michigan, Michigan State and Wayne State) are not Mott Community College. Open carry on one of those campuses is ill-advised.

U of Michigan has an (enforceable) ordinance against carry on their properties. 10-90 days in jail and/or $50 fine.

Universities are not listed as a preempted "local unit of government."

zpatagus

imported post

The boards of regents/trustees of public universities as well as community colleges derive their authority from state law. These state laws (university and community college acts) give them the authority to regulate the use of their respective properties. Does that state authority give them the right to ban guns on campus?

Obviously,colleges/univs can regulate students (codes of conduct for example) on campus but the question is do these rules pertain to visitors? Most of them would probably say yes. They may not be able to arrest someone for open carry but they could ask them to leave.

So the question from our perspective iscould a college/university post their property like private property since they are not tecnically owned by the state or included in the preemption law?

apjonas

imported post

Even if colleges were covered by preemption, it wouldn't matter in case of the big three. Their authority is derived from the Michigan constitution >> state statute. I have doubts as to whether that authority includes banning firearms but there you are.

lil_freak_66

imported post

MSU has an ordinance that might confuse some people,most likely the officers.

http://trustees.msu.edu/ordinances/ordinances_sec18.html

18.01 Except as permitted by state law regulating firearms, no person shall possess any firearm or weapon anywhere upon property governed by the Board. Persons residing on property governed by the Board shall store any and all firearms and weapons with the Department of Police and Public Safety.

where it says except as permitted by state law,i think the campus cops might get confused about,especially if they dont know about the AG opinion regarding open carry w/ a cpl inside of concealed free areas..

has anybody sent campus cops the LEO packets? i am extremely sure that the cops dont know about the AG opinion or specifics of the carry laws inside of PFZ's