• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New guy with a question

beaver

imported post

Hello, my name is beaver. I live up in the west bend area and have not started to open carry on a regular basis but plan on doing it soon. I am a proud member of wisconsin carry and love my new stickers. Now onto my question, I know someone but do not want to name names and this person went through a divorce just recently and her ex-husband is Bi-Polar. This person fears for her life and is always looking over her shoulder. My question is if there is any possible way this person could get a concealed carry permit in the state of Wisconsin, I am aware it is illegal at this time. Sorry for the long winded speech, but I thought I'd ask. By the way my carry piece is a Kimber classic in 45, Sweet gun.....

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Sure you can get a concealed weapons permit in Wisconsin-- from another state. The only problem is it won't be valid in Wisconsin, but only in the state that issued it and in the other states that recognize it's validity. Wisconsin only recognizes concealed gun permits issued to retired law enforcement officers, because the state has no choice under federal law.

Your friend can move to a state that allows concealed carry, or carry openly in Wisconsin wherever it is not prohibited. She can carry concealed at her home or, if she owns a business, inside her business. If she carries concealed elsewhere she's taking a risk of being arrested should the gun be noticed. Pepper spray is better than nothing.

If the the guy is truly a danger to her, her greatest risk is when she is at home or work, or on her way to those places, since those are regular places and schedules that she maintains. She might want to set up a safe room at her residence and take other security precautions.

hardballer

imported post

beaver wrote:
Hello, my name is beaver. I live up in the west bend area and have not started to open carry on a regular basis but plan on doing it soon. I am a proud member of wisconsin carry and love my new stickers. Now onto my question, I know someone but do not want to name names and this person went through a divorce just recently and her ex-husband is Bi-Polar. This person fears for her life and is always looking over her shoulder. My question is if there is any possible way this person could get a concealed carry permit in the state of Wisconsin, I am aware it is illegal at this time. Sorry for the long winded speech, but I thought I'd ask. By the way my carry piece is a Kimber classic in 45, Sweet gun.....

Um. . .why doesn't she open carry? Where ever possible.

BerettaFS92Custom

imported post

beaver wrote:
have her get a restraining order (lot of good that is) then take her to a range and let her handle some revolvers, Judge comes to mind or a hammerless SW airweight with 38+P. but recoil may be heavy.keep a record of all phone calls, and contactcs being made in a diary and if she needs to defend then so be it. just something to bounce off you for thinking purposes only.. not legal advice.

opusd2

imported post

I think that advice is about the best this state will afford her. God help her if she needs to dial 911 for anything, unless (and maybe even if) the 5-0 was staking out her place across the driveway, they would never get there on time.

My suggestion is a 38. They don't have a lot of recoil and are pretty accurate if you don't flinch every time you pull the trigger. A judge loaded with some bird shot would be a wonderful deterrent as well, I wouldn't stick around for trigger pull number 2...

I wish the best of luck though and hope she never has to resort to such means in order to defend herself.

M

McX

imported post

from what i understand of the law, you can carry concealed ONLY ON PROPERTY OWNED BY YOU. nowhere else, no other time. period.