• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Drew during an attempted auto theft/prowl

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

At around 9am this morning I was in my office, with my co-workers (the owner and his wife, and our secretary) and watched a car pull in to our parking lot through the back window of our building. The guy gets out and starts to fiddle with the door lock of another employee's truck. The secretary tells me "Go, go, go!!!! He's trying to steal it!" I run to our side door and exit it, and when I got to the corner of the building (roughly 30ft from the guy, with a clear line of sight), I said in a loud voice, "CAN IHELP YOU?!?" (I did not know for sure at this point that he had ill intentions, as he could have been a friend or relative of the trucks owner, and had been given instructions to borrow the truck, or that something of his was going to be leftthere for him to pick up.)

He didn't verbally respond, but instead ditched the truck (he had JUST gotten the door open) and began running back towards the open door on his vehicle. As he did this, I began running to the vehicles (which were parked next to each other, facing opposite directions), my boss was a few feet behind me. AsI approachedthe rear of his vehicle (I'm still at a full-sprint) I noticed he was fiddling with something near the center console, and I believed it was the shift-lever, but worried that it could have been him trying to access a weapon, I drew my Sig P220ST that I was concealing under my suitcoat, and began shouting for him to "Freeze!" (In retrospect, a "Show me your hands!" or "Shut off the car!" would have probably been better). He glances over his shoulder at the barrel of the Sig(wonder if he saw the mouth of the 230-grain Ranger T-series pointed at him), found "D" on the shifter finally, and peeled off away from me. I paralleled him down the parking lot (another 75 feet, or so) and he kept looking at me trying to see where I was (my Sig was still in my hands). He exited the parking lot and turned right onto the side street that it's on, driving opposite of my direction.

We got the plate number, vehicle & suspect description and called it all in. The detective that later talked to the victim (my co-worker) thought it was great that the suspect got a gun pulled on him during the incident, and jokingly said I should have shot out his tires... (jokingly, though I'd be lying if the thought didn't cross my mind during the incident, haha!). They have yet to locate the suspect, and I gave my statement over thephone to an officer that called back about 45 minutes after it took place. I made sure to update the suspect's clothing description to leather jacket and blue jeans with a brown stain (the officer laughs).

Outcomes:

1) No one got hurt.

2) Only damage caused was the plastic cover that holds the lock mechanism in place on the truck. No property or vehicle stolen.

3) The BG did get away, for now, but heknows he's not welcome in our parking lot anymore. ;)

4) I was satisfied with my response to the incident (and that it was so automatic), and confident in my ability to respond to whatever might come up in the future.

5) An all-stainless Sig with a .45 caliber hole at the end is one helluva visual deterrent.

amzbrady

imported post

Better not let the Brady Campaigners find out your firearm did what it was supposed to. It foiled a crime in progress and not one got shot, killed, mamed, or were any children lost due to it laying around as most of them claim has happened to them personally ( Would hate to think there are that many careless, idiots. These people cant be all to brite to hang around people who just leave their guns laying about). Any way, good job.

.45ACPaddy

imported post

And to think people still question why I carry in Lakewood and Tacoma... It blows my mind.

I'll have to forward this to a few buddies of mine that don't see the point of carrying around my area.

Good show!

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
The guy gets out and starts to fiddle with the door lock of another employee's truck. ...... I said in a loud voice, "CAN IHELP YOU?!?"
Wait, you wanted to help him?

:p

Funny.:lol:

Good job, and no one went to jail for "brandishing".

There is no right side of the tracks in Tacoma.

Batousaii

imported post

Glad your ok, and glad you got the BG plate number. Trouble like that can go South fast if the BG gets itchy. - I think you did well. I noticed your commenting on phraseology when shouting at a BG. Direct and commanding instructions are always better because it does not give his brain options, often they just do what you tell them, thenthey look likewtf. over all, sounds like you maintained as much tactical advantage as was available. good job.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Good job G20. I especially liked your "can I help you" approach. If it had been legitimate you weren't doing anything to get yourself in trouble or freak out an innocent person.

ridgerunner98570

imported post

Great job. If you had shot the tires out, you would have been facing the "you shouldn't discharge a weapon" crowd. You handled it exactly like I would have.

FMCDH

imported post

I will add my kudos to the others. Thank you for confronting them! :)

That said...

I'm not sure I would have run from the cover of a doorway into the open and toward the guy if I had been in your shoes. I understand you wanted to press the advantage of getting the guy to go away, and or perhaps get a better description?

It seems you may have placed yourself in a bit more danger over a car then necessary, then causing you to feel you needed to draw your firearm, but then, I don't know all the angles or distances that you were experiencing.

I can see if it was just to get vehicle information and a better description to report to police, but not if you were trying to chase the guy down to try and stop him.

Anyways, thanks for putting yet one more criminal on notice.