• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

something to carry "document"

revolverrandy

imported post

Is there any document or proffessional type pamphlet that i could carry on my person while open carrying that i could use if stopped by a LEO or other person would would be questioning my right to open carry that would do a good job making it clear that it is allowed?

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

revolverrandy wrote:
Is there any document or proffessional type pamphlet that i could carry on my person while open carrying that i could use if stopped by a LEO or other person would would be questioning my right to open carry that would do a good job making it clear that it is allowed?
LEO should know by now that it is legal. But here is a pamphlet you could carry on you to show to other people who ask about it.

Spartacus

Banned
imported post

Those pamphlets are indeed excellent. I'm in the habit now of stuffing a few in my back pocket whenever I'm out OCing as invariably I end up witnessing to someone.

protias

imported post

Spartacus wrote:

Those pamphlets are indeed excellent. I'm in the habit now of stuffing a few in my back pocket whenever I'm out OCing as invariably I end up witnessing to someone.
Or run into a LEO that ignores the law (of course, he'll probably tell you that you cannot carry it, arrest you, harass you, harass the place you are carrying, etc). I wish they're weren't any out there, but I know first hand they do exist. :(

Spartacus

Banned
imported post

protias wrote:
Or run into a LEO that ignores the law (of course, he'll probably tell you that you cannot carry it, arrest you, harass you, harass the place you are carrying, etc). I wish they're weren't any out there, but I know first hand they do exist. :(
As you know the winds of change are blowing. The few interactions that I have had with LE have been positive, however the best news is that 99% of the times I have carried there are no Law Enforcement to be seen.

This is an example of what to expect these days from the cops:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum66/41911.html

protias

imported post

Spartacus wrote:
protias wrote:
As you know the winds of change are blowing. The few interactions that I have had with LE have been positive, however the best news is that 99% of the times I have carried there are no Law Enforcement to be seen.

This is an example of what to expect these days from the cops:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum66/41911.html
This is why I'm still active in the WI forum, to know what is going on back home. :celebrate

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

If you are stopped by a cop who is bent on arresting or harassing you for legal open-carry. There is nothing that you can do, say, or present to him to get him to change his mind.
An argument with law enforcement anywhere outside of the courtroom is just wasting your breath IMO.
The WI-OCpamphlets are great for educating other people. Use them for that, or to educate yourself instead.

I suggest that you do not even carry ID with you when O-C'ing.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

Nutczak wrote:
If you are stopped by a cop who is bent on arresting or harassing you for legal open-carry. There is nothing that you can do, say, or present to him to get him to change his mind.
An argument with law enforcement anywhere outside of the courtroom is just wasting your breath IMO.
The WI-OCpamphlets are great for educating other people. Use them for that, or to educate yourself instead.

I suggest that you do not even carry ID with you when O-C'ing.
+1

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

What Nutczak said, and do not carry a map of school zones with you. They will "kill" any defense of unknowingly encroaching on a school zone.

Spartacus

Banned
imported post

I always carry ID and will happily provide it to any officer who asks politely once he understands that I have no obligation to show it to him unless I am driving a vehicle.

An overbearing, irate officer will get nothing but truculence and will hopefully arrest me (I could use an extra $10,000 from a lawsuit).

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Spartacus wrote:

I always carry ID and will happily provide it to any officer who asks politely once he understands that I have no obligation to show it to him unless I am driving a vehicle.

An overbearing, irate officer will get nothing but truculence and will hopefully arrest me (I could use an extra $10,000 from a lawsuit).
If you ask a police officer for ID he or she will give you a business card. If they want ID from you--- hand them a business card in return. Apparently their card suffices for ID when given to us, so we are simply responding in kind. Obviously you control how much information is divulged on your business card. Might be only a name, might be a name and phone number.... whatever you want. Don't give police a card with a fake name however! Better to give nothing than something that is false.

I understand the reasoning why some of you advocate not to an ID. But I don't change my personal habits when I carry a gun. It implies that having a gun is not an ordinary activity. Same with having a voice recorder. I understand it, but again it implies that there is something out-of-the-ordinary about bearing arms. I want people to regard carrying a gun as something that is completely ordinary. Therefore I don't go out as if I'm on some "secret mission over the border" with a sterile weapon, untraceable clothes and so on. In other words, OC is not some sort of spec ops mission, you aren't going to be shot as a spy, and the secretary isn't going have "to disavow any knowledge of your activities."

I've been fingerprinted a number of times, so if they're determined and arrest me, they'll eventually know who I am regardless...

This is not meant as a criticism for those who advocate carrying no ID. I understand that choice, and I respect it.

But if I got hit by a truck-- or shot-- or struck ill-- I would kinda want someone to figure out who I am, who to notify and so on.